Redhawks 4 5.88%
Redhogs 3 4.41%
other 8 11.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2020, 10:28 PM   #61
rocnrik
Impact Rookie

Re: Come up with a new name for the Redskins

Washington Tomahawks, Washington Arrows or arrowhead(s), Cherokee, Apache thunder , moccasins .. just some ideas
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-04-2020, 10:44 PM   #62
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
Washington Tomahawks, Washington Arrows or arrowhead(s), Cherokee, Apache thunder , moccasins .. just some ideas
Humm...I actually like the Washington Tomahawks or Washington Arrows or even the Washington Arrowheads

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2020, 10:52 PM   #63
rocnrik
Impact Rookie

It seems that objects are okay .. it gets tricky when using team names after groups of people .. Even though I like Cherokee and other tribe names it still leaves the door open for controversy...but even as I type this did not Florida state get in trouble for the tomahawk chop move ? Itís going to be tricky and Dan has one shot at getting this right .. keeping the diehards pleased and being political correct .. I hope this turns out good
Old 07-04-2020, 10:58 PM   #64
rocnrik
Impact Rookie

Washington Redfeathers ?
Old 07-05-2020, 02:19 AM   #65
calia
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct1975 View Post
Humm...I actually like the Washington Tomahawks or Washington Arrows or even the Washington Arrowheads

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Too much like KC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2020, 04:15 AM   #66
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
It seems that objects are okay .. it gets tricky when using team names after groups of people .. Even though I like Cherokee and other tribe names it still leaves the door open for controversy...but even as I type this did not Florida state get in trouble for the tomahawk chop move ? Itís going to be tricky and Dan has one shot at getting this right .. keeping the diehards pleased and being political correct .. I hope this turns out good
I say it depends how it's done.

If Natives and Natives representative are included in the discussion and the choice of the name, and have a say in how they want to be represented and supported, one would say a community would appreciate the legit support of a big organisation having millions of fans.

I think the name change is also a consequence of not living up to the responsibility of representing and supporting the community you're branding.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:11 AM   #67
BaltimoreSkins
The Starter

Quote:
I agree that I would try to stay away from names referring to a specific race or nation. The public sentiment can and probably will sway in the future. 30 years from now when he is in his 80s does he really want to be fighting another name change and have that be his legacy for the franchise? I know I wouldn't. In terms of keeping the diehards pleased they will come around. I can't imagine not rooting for the same group of players just because the logo and nickname has changed. Every parent that is a football fan will still want to take their kid to see them play or watch the games as a family on Sunday. We will all be here on the gameday thread talking to each other even if they change everything.
BaltimoreSkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #68
Schneed10
My Wife Likes Alex

I love all these ideas from you morons that suggest switching from a name considered racist to a less insulting yet still racist name. The Tomahawks? Yeah letís switch from racist to diet racist, that will go well.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #69
rocnrik
Impact Rookie

A tomahawk is a type of single-handed ax native to the many Indigenous peoples and nations of North America, traditionally resembling a hatchet with a straight shaft. The term came into the English language in the 17th century as an adaptation of the Powhatan word... Iím not sure how this is racist.. You donít see the irony of you calling people morons and at the same time accusing others of being rascist? You are not very tolerant of others views are you ? Hmmmm ...
Old 07-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #70
Schneed10
My Wife Likes Alex

I believe in calling a spade a spade, I think my reputation here precedes me in that way, and that idea is just fucking ignorant.

Are you even aware that the Redskins are not the only team that catches shit on this issue. The Braves, Chiefs and Indians are all under fire too, though itís strongest with us because Redskin is the most overt. But the Indians have already said they are reviewing their name too.

Why? Look at the signs the protesters hold up, the hashtag they use is #notyourmascot. If youíre going to make a name change, just do it. Donít make the mistake of doing something thatís still going to piss these people off. It will look like the most gone deaf thing of all time and will epitomize Dan Snyderís tenure as owner.

Not all Native Americans are bothered by Redskins. But the ones that are donít want to be a mascot at all. If you donít get that youíre a moron.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:42 AM   #71
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I believe in calling a spade a spade, I think my reputation here precedes me in that way, and that idea is just fucking ignorant.

Are you even aware that the Redskins are not the only team that catches shit on this issue. The Braves, Chiefs and Indians are all under fire too, though itís strongest with us because Redskin is the most overt. But the Indians have already said they are reviewing their name too.

Why? Look at the signs the protesters hold up, the hashtag they use is #notyourmascot. If youíre going to make a name change, just do it. Donít make the mistake of doing something thatís still going to piss these people off. It will look like the most gone deaf thing of all time and will epitomize Dan Snyderís tenure as owner.

Not all Native Americans are bothered by Redskins. But the ones that are donít want to be a mascot at all. If you donít get that youíre a moron.
I agree, just goes to show that plenty of people donít completely understand what the crux of this movement is
Old 07-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #72
davy
Impact Rookie

Quote:

You sure you're not offending anybody by using that phrase?
Old 07-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #73
rocnrik
Impact Rookie

He doesnít get it ...Iím taking a break from all this .. you guys figure it out hopefully it works out to your liking ..
Old 07-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #74
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:

I'll definitely admit right away I don't have a global and thorough view of the issue.
But I have a hard time thinking there wouldn't be a way to properly and inclusively honor Native American culture.

Isn't part of the issue the fact that because the team doesn't seem to actually do much to honor and support Native communities, it can be perceived as flat out cultural appropriation ?
If it was a process and dialogue with Native communities couldn't it be a good tool to honor, raise awareness and fund projects that would benefit them ?

Maybe it's too late and there's kinda no way to make it up though.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #75
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
You sure you're not offending anybody by using that phrase?
Lemmy's offended.