Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Training Camp is fast approaching What....

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #16
MTK
\m/

Re: Training Camp is fast approaching What....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I can’t wait to see Wentz throwing the ball to these receivers.

I’m also gonna call something to watch…Logan Thomas probably not gonna be ready due to the injury, but I’ve heard the guys behind him have really been flashing in the spring. The competition at depth should be really good. Lotta head turning in ota’s with guys catching the ball At the TE position
Cole Turner is looking at a great opportunity early on. Wouldn't be a surprise if Thomas starts off the season on IR.

Advertisements
Old 07-06-2022, 09:13 AM   #17
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCommandersfan99 View Post
He was the starter in Philly the year they won the Super Bowl for nearly the entire season paving the way until he got hurt. Philly just wanted to see what they had in Hurts and didn't want to mess around with the large contract they just awarded him. Everyone knows Irsay wanted him gone in Indy even though at one point last season he was in discussion as a top qb for the year.

The tools are all there:

1) Size- 6'5" 237 lbs (don't think fans appreciate this enough)
2) Great arm especially deep
3) Mobile which is unusual for his large size. No he's not Lamar Jackson but the guy can move
4) Highly intelligent

What tools does he lack physically? None. He's also at a very good age at 29. Again, he's got all the tools.
I already know all about his toolset. What's that got to do with his main problem which is choking? Once a player chokes like he did at Indy, it's very hard for the other players to ever trust him again. That's why Irsay wanted him gone. If he does well this season until he chokes away our chance to make the playoffs he'll be gone from here, too. That's why our QB room is unsettled. Let's hope he's seeing a sports psychologist.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:28 AM   #18
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Cole Turner is looking at a great opportunity early on. Wouldn't be a surprise if Thomas starts off the season on IR.
Cole Turner may get some playing time but I think John Bates would probably be the starter at TE if Logan Thomas is unable to go right away. For one thing, Bates has some experience. Also, Bates had the highest PFF run blocking score of any TE in the NFL last season at 87.6, based on 248 run blocking snaps. That score was more that 10 points higher than the second ranked run blocking score for a TE in 2021. To me, that is a big deal. When did we last have a TE who could block like that?
Old 07-06-2022, 09:36 AM   #19
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Cole Turner may get some playing time but I think John Bates would probably be the starter at TE if Logan Thomas is unable to go right away. For one thing, Bates has some experience. Also, Bates had the highest PFF run blocking score of any TE in the NFL last season at 87.6, based on 248 run blocking snaps. That score was more that 10 points higher than the second ranked run blocking score for a TE in 2021. To me, that is a big deal. When did we last have a TE who could block like that?
I like Bates a lot too, I just think Turner might have the more intriguing skill set as a receiving TE.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:00 AM   #20
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
I already know all about his toolset. What's that got to do with his main problem which is choking? Once a player chokes like he did at Indy, it's very hard for the other players to ever trust him again. That's why Irsay wanted him gone. If he does well this season until he chokes away our chance to make the playoffs he'll be gone from here, too. That's why our QB room is unsettled. Let's hope he's seeing a sports psychologist.
I don't get how one bad season, and one particularly bad game makes someone automatically a choker. Is it just because Jim Irsay put that out there, and people are believing it?

When he was here, Kirk Cousins had his bad moments in key games, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a choker.

I think Wentz has a lot to prove, but I feel many fans and some people in the media, have bought in to what Irsay has been putting out there.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:00 AM   #21
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Cole Turner looking good. Bates is a very good blocker and catch some too. Also, they are looking at Curtis Hodges 6'8" 240 lbs who can catch also. AGG may be in the mix too.
Curtis Hodges is my early pick for “training camp hero”

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:05 AM   #22
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Most champions have a big game they haven't played their best in. Give the guy a chance and realize how much talent this dude has. There's a reason he was the #2 overall pick in the draft. He's only 29 years old again and has plenty of NFL life left. It is very hard to find a qb with the sheer physical talent he has. Up to him and the coaches for him to take his game to the next level.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:32 PM   #23
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Most champions have a big game they haven't played their best in. Give the guy a chance and realize how much talent this dude has. There's a reason he was the #2 overall pick in the draft. He's only 29 years old again and has plenty of NFL life left. It is very hard to find a qb with the sheer physical talent he has. Up to him and the coaches for him to take his game to the next level.
He'll get his chance no matter what this retired geezer thinks. So we'll see what happens. My only point is that he was shown the door by two NFL teams in two consecutive seasons for many of the same reasons. So it is naive to think that our QB room is set. Nevertheless, I always root for young people to succeed so I hope he has a great season in 2022.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:42 PM   #24
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I don't get how one bad season, and one particularly bad game makes someone automatically a choker. Is it just because Jim Irsay put that out there, and people are believing it?

When he was here, Kirk Cousins had his bad moments in key games, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a choker.

I think Wentz has a lot to prove, but I feel many fans and some people in the media, have bought in to what Irsay has been putting out there.
FWIW, I'm saying he choked. I saw it happen so I didn't need to hear it from Irsay first. Besides neither Irsay nor Philly wanted him around anymore, for a couple of the same reasons.

BTW, Cousins was and is a choker, IMO. When he was here, he could be expected to throw a late game interception in a crucial game. He still can't win the big game for the Vikings.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:59 PM   #25
Meks
Pro Bowl

Cousins is a big time choker for me as well. I never liked Wentz, partially b.c. he was an eagle and I won't like any eagles success... after that I just never found him that good and I also view him as someone who hasn't yet proven he can get the job done. As far as choking in indy? That o line and wr group also played like shit that day and while yes, we all blame the qb or at least put the most blame on him ... that choke wasn't his fault alone. Nevertheless he's here now and I will have to root for him whether I may like it deep down or not he is part of the team now. Good luck and I wish him and us the best.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:08 PM   #26
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post

Add to that the fact the said player didn't choked the said particular game nearly as much as he's made out to have done, and that the team (defense, receiving corps and Oline) choked it out maybe more than he did, and you have yourself a very lazy narrative.
Wentz had his bad moments for sure, more so in the Raiders game the week before than in the final game. But he had a way better season than people think IMO.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:28 PM   #27
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
He'll get his chance no matter what this retired geezer thinks. So we'll see what happens. My only point is that he was shown the door by two NFL teams in two consecutive seasons for many of the same reasons. So it is naive to think that our QB room is set. Nevertheless, I always root for young people to succeed so I hope he has a great season in 2022.
Fair enough. I agree Wentz has had issues before. However, I like the skillset he brings to the table which is uncoachable. Radical improvement in arm strength over Heinicke. Not just some but huge. We are loaded with deep threats on the team. The staff is in year 3 and needs to show something. Wentz has all the tools. Let's make it work is all I'm advocating.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:21 AM   #28
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Add to that the fact the said player didn't choked the said particular game nearly as much as he's made out to have done, and that the team (defense, receiving corps and Oline) choked it out maybe more than he did, and you have yourself a very lazy narrative.
Wentz had his bad moments for sure, more so in the Raiders game the week before than in the final game. But he had a way better season than people think IMO.
Not such a lazy narrative. So what you're saying is that he had "bad moments" in the 16th and 17th games of the season with the PLAYOFFS on the line but he didn't choke? Those "bad moments" were some of the worst plays by a panic-stricken QB that I've ever seen. The interception he threw from his own end zone was atrocious. On the other hand, he ran up his stats in early season games which were not in the must win category. BFD. They lost their last chance game to the Jaguars, for Pete's sake. So please don't criticize me for calling choking by its proper name.

Look, we all want him to succeed here but he is flawed so don't start thinking that we are set at QB. "We'll see" is the best I can say about him at this time.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #29
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Not such a lazy narrative. So what you're saying is that he had "bad moments" in the 16th and 17th games of the season with the PLAYOFFS on the line but he didn't choke? Those "bad moments" were some of the worst plays by a panic-stricken QB that I've ever seen. The interception he threw from his own end zone was atrocious. On the other hand, he ran up his stats in early season games which were not in the must win category. BFD. They lost their last chance game to the Jaguars, for Pete's sake. So please don't criticize me for calling choking by its proper name.

Look, we all want him to succeed here but he is flawed so don't start thinking that we are set at QB. "We'll see" is the best I can say about him at this time.
The Jags matched up well against Indy. Wentz had a bad game sure, is he the best QB in the NFL, nope. His he the best we could get at this time, yup. Is he better then what we had last year, YUP!
Old 07-07-2022, 10:05 AM   #30
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

I don't have a problem with you calling his performance a choke, because that is what it was. I just don't think he has a history of choking to be consider a choker.

I keep saying that Wentz has a lot to prove, given his history, that being said, I feel like people have bought too much on the negative narrative that has come out of Indy. And yes, the bad plays speak for themselves, but let's not forget that an NFL owner, with tons of resources, has gone out of his way to create negative press about him to try to justify his terrible decisions.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote