Around the NFL Week 2

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #91
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Around the NFL Week 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
I have no doubt Eli will be in the HOF. The discussion should be whether or not he is 'first ballot'.
Has Eli ever had an elite season that ranked amongst the best qb's in the NFL? He's had plenty of above average years, and plenty of "led the league in picks" years but I can't recall one season where he just steamrolled through everybody. Other than that all he's got is 2 titles. With that W-L record I'm really not sure he's worthy.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #92
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
The HOF debate for Eli will be interesting. Can't take away those 2 SB wins but a .500 overall record? Gross.
I agree. In Baltimore the local sports media has a consensus that his in the HOF just not a first ballot but I am not sold. He had several good years but played in the Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers era.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #93
Schneed10
A Dude

His career INT numbers have to compare really poorly to others who are in the HOF. I haven't looked at the numbers, just going off gut.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #94
Schneed10
A Dude

Check out this list. Look for the bolded names, those are the active QBs. Look where Eli ranks among them, among the worst who played long enough to qualify.

We're in an age where if you're getting 2.5% or more of your passes intercepted, it's not good. Eli is at 3.0%.

Aikman and Marino were both at 3.0% too but they played in a downfield era. Their 3.0% was very good compared to the peers of their era. By comparison, Steve Young and Joe Montana were 2.6%. Andy Dalton is a career 2.6% guy in this era.

3.0% from Eli should keep him out, in my opinion.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...erc_career.htm
Old 09-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #95
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
His career INT numbers have to compare really poorly to others who are in the HOF. I haven't looked at the numbers, just going off gut.
What about Favre?
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #96
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
What about Favre?
Favre was a unique circumstance, he also led the league in a whole bunch of career categories when he retired. Eli doesn't have that.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #97
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Without looking I think Dan Fouts had a .500 overall record and never even made it to a Super Bowl.
Fouts was 86-84-1

Tough to compare these guys across different eras. Fouts would put up stupid stats in today's game.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #98
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Has Eli ever had an elite season that ranked amongst the best qb's in the NFL? He's had plenty of above average years, and plenty of "led the league in picks" years but I can't recall one season where he just steamrolled through everybody. Other than that all he's got is 2 titles. With that W-L record I'm really not sure he's worthy.
Perhaps the question to ask is how many other QB's that are 2-time Super Bowl Champions and 2-time Super Bowl MVPs that ARE NOT in the HOF?

He's getting in despite your good argument.

Last name 'Manning', the so-called 'First Family or Football'. He would get in with 1 ring.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #99
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Perhaps the question to ask is how many other QB's that are 2-time Super Bowl Champions and 2-time Super Bowl MVPs that ARE NOT in the HOF?

He's getting in despite your good argument.

Last name 'Manning', the so-called 'First Family or Football'. He would get in with 1 ring.
HOF is about the body of work, not just getting a pair of rings. I think he's out.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #100
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Eli is a HOF QB but not first ballot
Old 09-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #101
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

11 NFL quarterbacks have won 2 or more Super Bowls 3 are still playing. Of the 7 eligible for the Hall of Fame only Jim Plunkett isn't in the hall. Plunkett never made a Pro Bowl and his stats weren't impressive compared to others in his era.
His success was later in his career on his 3rd team the Raiders, even there his lost his job multiple times.

I think Eli will get in, but it will probably take a while as you have a lot of class A quarterbacks who will all be retiring around the same time along with Eli. Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers are all mid 30's or older.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #102
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
HOF is about the body of work, not just getting a pair of rings. I think he's out.
There are 5 players that have won more than 1 Super Bowl MVP. The other 4 are in the HOF. The 5th is Eli.

There are 3 HOF QBs that are in the hall without a winning record. Eli would make it 4.

Agree that his regular season is pedestrian at best. But his post season runs are damn near historic. He may not get in first ballot. But I think he gets in.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #103
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Fouts was 86-84-1

Tough to compare these guys across different eras. Fouts would put up stupid stats in today's game.
Problem is with today's rules and their enforcement those Charger defenses of Fouts era would be giving up 40+ points a game.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #104
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
There are 5 players that have won more than 1 Super Bowl MVP. The other 4 are in the HOF. The 5th is Eli.

There are 3 HOF QBs that are in the hall without a winning record. Eli would make it 4.

Agree that his regular season is pedestrian at best. But his post season runs are damn near historic. He may not get in first ballot. But I think he gets in.
His two post season runs are historic, but not because he dominated, because he was clutch. That's it. That's all he's got to hang his hat on.

Are you gonna put up the d-lines from those years for election too? Because they were a huge reason why Eli has 2 rings.

And finally, how many of those 5 qb's with multiple SB MVP's aren't named Brady or played mostly after the year 2000?
Old 09-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #105
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
His two post season runs are historic, but not because he dominated, because he was clutch. That's it. That's all he's got to hang his hat on.

Are you gonna put up the d-lines from those years for election too? Because they were a huge reason why Eli has 2 rings.

And finally, how many of those 5 qb's with multiple SB MVP's aren't named Brady or played mostly after the year 2000?
You open a new can...love it. Strahan from the same run is already in the HOF. So yeah, you can toss that D Line in.

The others (not named Brady) are named Montana, Starr and Bradshaw.

All this talk about Eli and the Hall when what I am most worried about is what if Gettleman was right and Daniel Jones just SHREDS the NFC East this year.