Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins predictions 2019 edition

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Redskins predictions 2019 edition

Camp is a little over a week away for the Skins, lets see some player predictions for who we think wins certain jobs and who really takes a leap forward this season.

For me I'm going to start with QB - I truly believe Dwayne Haskins wins the job with his pure leadership skills and smarts of the game, not to mention he will WOW the coaching staff with his elite arm talent.

The one player I have taking a leap forward this year and making a run at being a top tier Defensive player is Jon Allen, who after missing most of his rookie year played all 16 games last season.

Accounting for 61 tackles, eight sacks and 35 total pressures (20 hurries).

Allen was also awesome in run defense only missing 4 tackles all season.

What do you guys say?

HTTR

Advertisements
Old 07-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Redskins predictions 2019 edition

Leap forward candidate, if you call it that, Morgan Moses. I don't think he's nearly as bad as he played last year, definite bounce back candidate. Bounce back is probably the better word than leap forward.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Leap forward candidate, if you call it that, Morgan Moses. I don't think he's nearly as bad as he played last year, definite bounce back candidate. Bounce back is probably the better word than leap forward.
I'd love for that to happen and I agree, he's really good when healthy
Old 07-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

1. Kevin O'Connell will bring the offense forward and we will see improvements regardless who is QB

2. We will have a break-out WR performance from one of the young guys

3. Defense will finish in top 10 in the league

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
1. Kevin O'Connell will bring the offense forward and we will see improvements regardless who is QB

2. We will have a break-out WR performance from one of the young guys

3. Defense will finish in top 10 in the league
That right there is a formula for 10-6, with the last factor being whether Keenum/Haskins/McCoy will limit turnovers enough for those other factors to carry the day. Are you there on that one too?

That's my lone hangup, I agree on your 3. I think it's Trey Quinn and McLaurin that make the impact at WR in a spread-it-around offense. But McCoy and Keenum have always been turnover prone. I worry that's what stops us from bouncing back to health and playing well enough to make the playoffs.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I'd love for that to happen and I agree, he's really good when healthy

Unfortunately that is too common a phrase due to having too many players that frequently are injured.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #7
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
That right there is a formula for 10-6, with the last factor being whether Keenum/Haskins/McCoy will limit turnovers enough for those other factors to carry the day. Are you there on that one too?

That's my lone hangup, I agree on your 3. I think it's Trey Quinn and McLaurin that make the impact at WR in a spread-it-around offense. But McCoy and Keenum have always been turnover prone. I worry that's what stops us from bouncing back to health and playing well enough to make the playoffs.
turnovers are crucial for sure...but I really think O'Connell understands some priorities in order to "fix" the Offense. Here what I would do:

1. Use the same formation to run multiple plays and remove tendencies from play strategy
2. Throw more on first down. Yes, Im a "run the damn ball" type dude BUT Jay did something like run the ball 68-70 % on first down, that's way too much and lead to a terrible 1st down yardage success which cause too many 2nd and longs.
3. Bring back play action game. We ran the ball fairly well last year, but our play action game was severely lacking. Cousins was a really good play action QB...I just googled Case Keenum +play action...look what I found from his Minnesota playoff year:

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-foo...on-play-action

Case Keenum – Keenum showed the largest discrepancy in play-action passer rating (117.9) vs. non-play-action passer rating (88.2). This could be a legitimate concern for him in Denver. Minnesota ranked second in play-action passes last season, while Denver ranked 11th. Denver has a new offensive coordinator in Bill Musgrave, but the Oakland Raiders in 2016 (Musgrave’s last season as an offensive coordinator) attempted even fewer (32 less) play-action passes than Denver did last season, with the seventh-fewest play-action attempts that year.

Who lead the league in Play Action QB Rating that same year? Cousins in Washington with a 124.4%!!!! Keenum was fifth highest rating in league.

Bro, Grudan, bring back the Play action!!!!!!!

He Gets Us
Old 07-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
Schneed10
A Dude

Compelling case. Of course Keenum had Diggs and Thielen, and we... don't.

But the strategy for the Skins should be clear, pound the rock and work the play action. You just hope the WRs get open enough often enough to keep the chains moving, and you don't end up in situations where Keenum (or McCoy or Haskins) have to force the issue because that's when turnovers will come.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Compelling case. Of course Keenum had Diggs and Thielen, and we... don't.

But the strategy for the Skins should be clear, pound the rock and work the play action. You just hope the WRs get open enough often enough to keep the chains moving, and you don't end up in situations where Keenum (or McCoy or Haskins) have to force the issue because that's when turnovers will come.
Something else which probably derailed a play action pass attack last year - Oline injuries.

That extra 1 second on a longer developing play was simply too much on a wrecked, injured Oline.

Glad with drafted some Interior Depth Bigly Uglies and we get back Schreff, healthy Moses and Trent. Clean health slate works

He Gets Us
Old 07-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #10
MTK
\m/

Can we please just get through a season without being absolutely decimated by injuries? I really can't do a 3rd straight year of watching this shit.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Can we please just get through a season without being absolutely decimated by injuries? I really can't do a 3rd straight year of watching this shit.
I love BMitch's response to this teams injuries.. "Suck it up and play football"

Yeah some guys are really injured but there are also guys that are Nicked up and sit the games out. Man up and play. I wish we had more players like Brian
Old 07-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I love BMitch's response to this teams injuries.. "Suck it up and play football"

Yeah some guys are really injured but there are also guys that are Nicked up and sit the games out. Man up and play. I wish we had more players like Brian
Well, we all saw how terrible Dunbar's game was when he was "sucking it up" trying to play injured.

People need to stop trying to downplay injuries or act like they can be predicted or they were somebody's fault. Injuries have decimated the team and what has happened is completely outside of the ordinary.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Yeah dude. I feel this. I not only can't watch it, I'm tired of discussing it.

Lightning struck twice. I don't think it will strike a third. Except for Jordan Reed, a turf monster will hit him up the ass with a bolt of lightning in preseason week 3.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #14
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Didn't the Redskins bring in outside consultants to try to determine the root cause of all the injuries? Whatever happened with that?
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #15
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Didn't the Redskins bring in outside consultants to try to determine the root cause of all the injuries? Whatever happened with that?
According to Gruden, they looked at it, studied it, and said wow guys, that's too bad.

They concluded it was a heaping pile of bad luck hitting them all at once.