Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #61
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Re: Dwayne Haskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Trying to look at this completely objectively - I'm not entirely sold that Haskins will succeed and become a top 10/15 type QB in the NFL. Chico's points about his surrounding cast at OSU are fair. At the same time, dude knows when to put touch on the ball and when to gun it.

But if I had no questions about him then Haskins have been the first overall or 2nd overall pick. So that's why I like this - the price we paid makes it worth the shot. We didn't trade away multiple picks to get him. Instead we get a rookie QB on a rookie QB contract for four years (plus an option) who by all accounts has a decent chance to be a top 10 type QB. You have to take that shot because the rookie QB contract is the holy grail of team building.

He gives us a chance to pay players at other spots and make a run in 2020-2022 before Haskins himself needs to be paid. It's hard to talk about the Redskins and a Super Bowl window without chuckling, but that's what the rookie QB contract gives you.

Alex comes off the books after 2020 when we release him, and if Haskins looks legit, then we pay up at other spots and push the chips in for 2020-2022. That's what this pick gives you, it's worth taking the shot.
Great post Schneed. While I wasn't thrilled with him as the pick either, you're right about him being worth a shot. It's just little things about him that rub me the wrong way, he's chunky, he seems very cocky, legit concerns about pocket presence, and like others said...I just think he had it pretty easy in that OSU offense and he's in for a very rude awakening here...but these are just my opinions which mean nothing. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be great. I did like the fact when asked if he would wear #7 he said he would have to ask Mr. Theismann first...and I'm sure Theismann will be fine with it but again, selfishly I hope he picks another number.

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #62
Schneed10
A Dude

I think Sandtrap is probably right, we got the best QB in the draft, or at least a guy who's tied for best with Murray. The question is whether there are ANY QBs in this draft who are capable of joining the top 10 at the position. It might just be a weak class.

At the same time, you point to a lot of positives. Haskins has more mobility than he gets credit for. He has performed in crunch moments, I watched the PSU game where he brought them back from the dead on his back to win that game. And where 247 sees a guy who looks chunky, I see a guy who looks like Big Ben and may have the same ability to shake tacklers off to extend plays.

His performance will be limited if we can't get him some weapons. Same with Alex, same with Colt, same with Case, same with anybody. But we're not going to solve that this year - we need talented WRs.

Haskins gives you enough reasons to feel good about taking a shot without having to trade up.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #63
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think Sandtrap is probably right, we got the best QB in the draft, or at least a guy who's tied for best with Murray. The question is whether there are ANY QBs in this draft who are capable of joining the top 10 at the position. It might just be a weak class.

At the same time, you point to a lot of positives. Haskins has more mobility than he gets credit for. He has performed in crunch moments, I watched the PSU game where he brought them back from the dead on his back to win that game. And where 247 sees a guy who looks chunky, I see a guy who looks like Big Ben and may have the same ability to shake tacklers off to extend plays.

His performance will be limited if we can't get him some weapons. Same with Alex, same with Colt, same with Case, same with anybody. But we're not going to solve that this year - we need talented WRs.

Haskins gives you enough reasons to feel good about taking a shot without having to trade up.
Totally agree!

Love to see this board if we had passed on Haskins last night.

If memory serves me correctly; just before the pick MEl K. had Haskins as his #1 BPA at that time in the draft. So we picked by Mel's opinion the BPA and filled one of our largest positions of need. Really can't see why you could be salty today as a Skins fan.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #64
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
We need a baller WR in the second cause Haskins gonna need some talent
Do we have a second round pick? I don't think we do and our next pick is 76th.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #65
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post

correct, we always suck with 2nd round picks, we do better in the third.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #66
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
no, think I posted it before they traded it. So 3rd round...but there is a lot of depth at WR.

He Gets Us
Old 04-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #67
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Here is a very in-depth article about Haskins. Looks like there is reason for concern.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2...yne-haskins/2/
They use the Rose Bowl in their examples a game where threw for 251 yards, 25 of 37 and 3 TD's. A game by the stats they should have lost but won. I'll take that in a QB.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=401032085
Old 04-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #68
sevier2
Impact Rookie

The biggest thing I'm excited for is having youth at the QB position again. We haven't had that since RGIII.

We needed an identity on offense and hopefully Haskins can spark that. Our defense can be stout, and we have Guice and AP in the backfield to ease Haskins in.

HTTR!

P.S. Has anybody else noticed Dwayne has "Skins" in his name? HaSkins!
Old 04-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #69
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevier2 View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. After Murray, this QB class didn't have any consensus #2. They all had some desirable/undesirable traits.

Haskins has as good a shot as any of them to succeed.
Murray had plenty of negative plays once he faced a real defensive.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #70
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigant View Post
Dude you don't know football he is not going to be a brady or Manning or a Brees but he is Good with a extremely high ceiling and you can say that about a lot of good players that come out of high-profile programs that are loaded with potential other big-time players around them just because he doesn't move well in a pocket doesn't mean he's not a good quarterback Allen the bills quarterback doesn't move on the pocket Donald who was a very good quarterback with high ceiling potential doesn't move on the pocket either so you have to understand what you're looking at obviously you don't you like The flash and dash
Jesus fuck man, here have some of these.

……………………………………
Old 04-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #71
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
They use the Rose Bowl in their examples a game where threw for 251 yards, 25 of 37 and 3 TD's. A game by the stats they should have lost but won. I'll take that in a QB.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=401032085
Valid point. I was most concerned with his performance under pressure. Since he is not mobile he is going to have to improve his performance against the blitz to be successful at the NFL level. You know coordinators are going to blitz heavy if the tape shows that’s a weakness for him.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
Old 04-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #72
los panda
Pro Bowl

Let's just keep in mind who he's going to be throwing the ball to this season.

We should cut him A LOT of slack, throwing to perennial all-pros Doctson and Richardson.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #73
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
Let's just keep in mind who he's going to be throwing the ball to this season.

We should cut him A LOT of slack, throwing to perennial all-pros Doctson and Richardson.
There’s still time to pick up some WRs in the draft that can improve our WR corps. We’re not dead in the water yet.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
Old 04-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #74
MTK
\m/

Sweat helped ease my pain over Haskins. I'm not a huge fan of his game but maybe we just lucked into a franchise QB, who knows. I'll support him until he proves otherwise. At the very least I'm happy we didn't trade up to get him.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #75
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
There’s still time to pick up some WRs in the draft that can improve our WR corps. We’re not dead in the water yet.
We better add one of the next 7 or 8 WRs.