Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-15-2021, 08:43 PM   #1
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

I think this year's team is the strongest across all the position groups, but training camp is still time for some players to rise and shine while others go fall down towards the cutting floor.

What positions intrigue you the most?

Where do you see room for a depth rookie to take a roster spot?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...n-fitzpatrick/

Safety Battle:

Offensive Battles:
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

Many.

First Oline…LG and RT. Flowers and Cosmi have the edge but Schweitzer & Charles could battle at LG as well as Lucas at RT.

At LB, Bostic vs the Rook at middle. Hudson at Weakside is a surprise early call from me if Rook win the Mike spot.

Second TE should be interesting.

FS could get interesting with a log jam at SS…

The last spot at WR, backup Defensive end

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

If St. Juste can start at 1 of the outside CB spots in nickel defense, that's gonna be huge for the team's flexibility.

Hopefully 1 of the 7th round picks can stick as the 4th DE.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:46 AM   #4
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
If St. Juste can start at 1 of the outside CB spots in nickel defense, that's gonna be huge for the team's flexibility.

Hopefully 1 of the 7th round picks can stick as the 4th DE.
That would be awesome. I get giddy thinking about a 6'3" stud corner. A huge weapon. Him and Jackson could be bigtime.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #5
SunnySide
Playmaker

RT - Lucas v Cosmi

Im not leaving out the possibility Lucas wins the LT spot but I dont think Leno has played RT like Lucas has, so Im assuming Leno gets LT if they play equal to each other.

LG - Flowers v Schweitzer

Flowers is getting paid starter money but Phins didnt blink in making him expendable. I think Schweitzer had a better year last year but didnt watch too many Phins games.

Injuries throughout season, Id expect Leno/Lucas/Cosmi/Flowers/Schweitzer to all have starts and snaps.

Holcomb v Bostic in Nickel

I imagine Jamin Davis will be a lock by like week 3 in nickel and all packages, battle to see who plays beside him in our most used defensive package.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:57 PM   #6
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

I agree about the oline having some good competition. Love how Rivera intends to have maximum competition for all units/spots.

I think running back could have some good battles after Gibson. Hoping Patterson gets a real chance. Also we'll see what we have in Barber, Mckissic, and Miller.

The whole team just needs to bring out the best in one another. Expecting a pretty intense camp as this team knows it should be improved and contend.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #7
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

I think they are all interesting. It’s nice to finally have a ton of competition across the board.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #8
EdmundDorf
The Starter

If Bostic is competing for a starting role in the nickel defence then things aren't going as well as planned..... Don't forget about Saddiq Charles, they had him starting at LG last year as a rookie ahead of Schweitzer, can also serve as the primary backup at LT
EdmundDorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
If Bostic is competing for a starting role in the nickel defence then things aren't going as well as planned..... Don't forget about Saddiq Charles, they had him starting at LG last year as a rookie ahead of Schweitzer, can also serve as the primary backup at LT
Charles -- I dont know what to think w Charles, we just have not seen enough. Last year Wes was the starting RG week 3 after Scherff got injured so he was the starting RG when Charles started LG. Wes started 13 games last year. I think the FO trusts him, he played above his payday last year imo.

I think RR has Charles > Martin. Important TC for Martin.

Bostic -- I think the coaches value him more than the fans. I think hes a more head down, hit the hole hard type backer that Holcomb isnt. Holcomb and Bostic just have different skill sets and what they bring.

Ideally Holcomb and Bostic wouldnt be starters on our D.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #10
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinsinator View Post
I agree about the oline having some good competition. Love how Rivera intends to have maximum competition for all units/spots.

I think running back could have some good battles after Gibson. Hoping Patterson gets a real chance. Also we'll see what we have in Barber, Mckissic, and Miller.

The whole team just needs to bring out the best in one another. Expecting a pretty intense camp as this team knows it should be improved and contend.
This is one thing that could be a problem as history has shown us. Ryan Fitzpatrick already out there talking about how good this offense IS...when it hasn't done anything yet. Yes this defense was good last year, but still has a ways to go to be great...so I hope they come in hungry and in "prove it" mode instead of, yeah we're already great...like so many of the past teams.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #11
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
This is one thing that could be a problem as history has shown us. Ryan Fitzpatrick already out there talking about how good this offense IS...when it hasn't done anything yet. Yes this defense was good last year, but still has a ways to go to be great...so I hope they come in hungry and in "prove it" mode instead of, yeah we're already great...like so many of the past teams.
He just said what he’s expected to say. I mean, he’s not gonna say “well I hope these guys don’t suck”. I didn’t see any overconfidence at all in what he said.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #12
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
I don't think Rivera will allow them to get overconfident. A blind man, however, can see that the talent level has increased. Rivera has not been reluctant to cut players when necessary. Every player should be highly motivated at camp.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #13
SunnySide
Playmaker

Im very intrigued/excited to see the WR corps. Easily the best unit weve had since 2016 (Jackson, garcon, Reed, Doctson, Grant).

McLaurin and Samuels are elite.

Rookie Dyami Brown is supposed to have top end speed and D Jackson like ability to track the deep balls.

Adam Humphries as a move the sticks, work underneath, get open guy.

Cam Sims, Harmon and AGG hopefully can contribute.

Gonna be a fun season.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #14
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Im very intrigued/excited to see the WR corps. Easily the best unit weve had since 2016 (Jackson, garcon, Reed, Doctson, Grant).

McLaurin and Samuels are elite.

Rookie Dyami Brown is supposed to have top end speed and D Jackson like ability to track the deep balls.

Adam Humphries as a move the sticks, work underneath, get open guy.

Cam Sims, Harmon and AGG hopefully can contribute.

Gonna be a fun season.
I'm also excited about wr. Feel like a lot of the guys are flying under the radar after McLaurin and Samuels. This should be a VERY competitive unit. Going to be tough for Harmon and AGG to make the team, but I wouldn't count them out yet.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:46 PM   #15
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
RT - Lucas v Cosmi

Im not leaving out the possibility Lucas wins the LT spot but I dont think Leno has played RT like Lucas has, so Im assuming Leno gets LT if they play equal to each other.

LG - Flowers v Schweitzer

Flowers is getting paid starter money but Phins didnt blink in making him expendable. I think Schweitzer had a better year last year but didnt watch too many Phins games.

Injuries throughout season, Id expect Leno/Lucas/Cosmi/Flowers/Schweitzer to all have starts and snaps.

Holcomb v Bostic in Nickel

I imagine Jamin Davis will be a lock by like week 3 in nickel and all packages, battle to see who plays beside him in our most used defensive package.
I watched a couple of Dolphins games in All 22, I thought Flowers played very well, I think he was cut for cap purposes, I think we are getting back a very good LG. Yes Schweitzer was a very nice surprise last year, but I think Flowers wins the job.

Good call about LB competition in nickel packages. I was high on Bostic 2 years ago but last year he was a mess, I was hoping we sign somebody else...