Coronavirus (sports edition) thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-29-2021, 02:46 PM   #136
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Re: Coronavirus (sports edition) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Before it gets locked, I'd just like to say it seems to be a matter of risk. People who wear masks in public settings or get the vaccine think the risk of COVID hurting them or someone they care about is high and are willing to take the risk of getting the shot/s to lower the risk of death or disability from COVID. People who think the risk of serious repercussions from COVID are low don't follow protocols and generally don't mind the risk of getting COVID or spreading it elsewhere.

Also Buster, how you gonna come in here tal'm bout real scientific facts from a HVAC engineer and then link us to some Pelosi nonsense nobody wants to watch? If you got the hard truths we need to accept back it up.
I've spoke to several people and heard quite a few stories, and vaccinated and non-vaccinated people are out in public not wearing masks. As you know, it's confirmed that vaccinated can also contract and spread the virus.
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-29-2021, 03:05 PM   #137
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
In a time where players are taking controversial "social justice" stands and driving fans away, here's a player worth supporting. He's standing up for younger players who can't speak up and keep a job.

The Bills' Cole Beasley is taking a stand on forced vaccinations. The League is threatening players if they don't get the injection and he's standing up to them. Several other high-profile players including DeAndre Hopkins and Leonard Fournette are also saying they'll retire over the protocols and the injection.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-bil...211223741.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/buffalo-bill...193720432.html
Never really thought Cole Beasley was gonna be the type of guy to take this stand. I bet the fact his stance seems to get stronger is do to silent support around the league and I bet a lot of players have reached out behind to closed doors to offer support. Just kinda surprised.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #138
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Before it gets locked, I'd just like to say it seems to be a matter of risk. People who wear masks in public settings or get the vaccine think the risk of COVID hurting them or someone they care about is high and are willing to take the risk of getting the shot/s to lower the risk of death or disability from COVID. People who think the risk of serious repercussions from COVID are low don't follow protocols and generally don't mind the risk of getting COVID or spreading it elsewhere.

Also Buster, how you gonna come in here tal'm bout real scientific facts from a HVAC engineer and then link us to some Pelosi nonsense nobody wants to watch? If you got the hard truths we need to accept back it up.
I do agree that ultimately people are making decisions based on their own risk assessment. Some are getting the vaccine because the risks associated with contracting the disease significantly outweigh the risks of any side effects from the vaccine. While others think the opposite - the risks of side effects, or unknown future/long term effects from the vaccine outweigh the risks associated with contracting the disease.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:11 PM   #139
MTK
\m/

Quote:

Never take medical advice from a HVAC guy. Personally I go with my plumber for sound medical advice. He knows his shit.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:28 PM   #140
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Never take medical advice from a HVAC guy. Personally I go with my plumber for sound medical advice. He knows his shit.
Haha! That was a clever retort.
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:47 PM   #141
SunnySide
Playmaker

I like this ... we are all happy again.

One thing men do well ... we have short term memories. Like the towel we use 8 times in a row after we shower.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:15 PM   #142
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I like this ... we are all happy again.
I got you fam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Never really thought Cole Beasley was gonna be the type of guy to take this stand. I bet the fact his stance seems to get stronger is do to silent support around the league and I bet a lot of players have reached out behind to closed doors to offer support. Just kinda surprised.
Beasley is another hypocrite that is pro choice when it comes grandma and grandpa dying from covid but pro life for fetus.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:42 PM   #143
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Personally, if the majority of the world dies from vaccines in the next few years, I'm not sure I want to be around who was left anyway...
Old 07-30-2021, 12:24 AM   #144
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Personally, if the majority of the world dies from vaccines in the next few years, I'm not sure I want to be around who was left anyway...
Pop out of the woodworks and drop a hilarious comment. I like it.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:25 AM   #145
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
All this talk about side effects from the vaccine and I'm just sitting here like "if the vaccine doesn't kill me something else will." When your card gets pulled it gets pulled.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:41 AM   #146
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
All this talk about side effects from the vaccine and I'm just sitting here like "if the vaccine doesn't kill me something else will." When your card gets pulled it gets pulled.
Kinda the same for the virus isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:05 AM   #147
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Vaccine testing and approval is as much about statistical sample size as it is time, many vaccines take a long time to approve because they are used sparingly at first so it takes time to build up a suitable large sample size from which to draw conclusions, the mark of this pandemic is the shear volume of vaccines that have been given so quickly which massively shortens the time to gather the initial data. This does not remove the need to study long term effects, but that is not such a limiting factor when normally approving drugs as you would have to wait 20 years for any significant valid data on long term effects.

The abundance and casual use of anecdotal evidence has severley damaged the reputation of vaccines. The MMR issues of the last 20 years were entirely due to a doctor who, albeit with the best of intentions, gathered anecdotal evidence which has since been proved to have absolutely no foundation in science. But the damage had been done and since then unsubstantiated anecdotal evidence has taking precedence over science in the minds of the public. Saying a bunch of people have had reactions is the worst type of anecdotal evidence. Many people have an initial reaction to the vaccine, that is the immune system reacting. It is not an adverse reaction.

The only factual numbers I have seen are that 2500+ NFL players have been vaccinated, which is the group we are talking about, and I have not seen one report of an actual adverse reaction, and we surely would have had anti vaxers screaming from the rooftops had it happened
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:21 AM   #148
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Vaccine testing and approval is as much about statistical sample size as it is time, many vaccines take a long time to approve because they are used sparingly at first so it takes time to build up a suitable large sample size from which to draw conclusions, the mark of this pandemic is the shear volume of vaccines that have been given so quickly which massively shortens the time to gather the initial data. This does not remove the need to study long term effects, but that is not such a limiting factor when normally approving drugs as you would have to wait 20 years for any significant valid data on long term effects.

The abundance and casual use of anecdotal evidence has severley damaged the reputation of vaccines. The MMR issues of the last 20 years were entirely due to a doctor who, albeit with the best of intentions, gathered anecdotal evidence which has since been proved to have absolutely no foundation in science. But the damage had been done and since then unsubstantiated anecdotal evidence has taking precedence over science in the minds of the public. Saying a bunch of people have had reactions is the worst type of anecdotal evidence. Many people have an initial reaction to the vaccine, that is the immune system reacting. It is not an adverse reaction.

The only factual numbers I have seen are that 2500+ NFL players have been vaccinated, which is the group we are talking about, and I have not seen one report of an actual adverse reaction, and we surely would have had anti vaxers screaming from the rooftops had it happened
I would say 2500 athletes in their best conditioning doesn't really make a solid sample base for long term effects. Especially when their daily job takes such a toll and puts their bodies through high stress moments.

CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:26 AM   #149
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkSkins View Post
I've spoke to several people and heard quite a few stories, and vaccinated and non-vaccinated people are out in public not wearing masks. As you know, it's confirmed that vaccinated can also contract and spread the virus.
Pork, and anyone else who hasn’t been vaccinated: You should expect to get this Delta variant. I respect and agree you should have choice and it should always be a choice but the data shows the greatest strength is it’s ability to be spread. The data shows also if your are vaccinated, you have protection against it and if you happen to get it (rare) it will keep you out of the hospital.

But the unvaccinated should expect to get the delta variant, I wouldn’t have said that with the previous covid virus and prior strains.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:47 AM   #150
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I would say 2500 athletes in their best conditioning doesn't really make a solid sample base for long term effects. Especially when their daily job takes such a toll and puts their bodies through high stress moments.

These are the exact group we were talking about, whether players should get the vaccine, given their age and physical condition they are a uniquely separate group, and as such 2500+ is a significant sample size

Long term effects cannot be determined for at least ten years, more likely 20, which is far beyond the time it usually takes to approve a vaccine. I can simpathize to some degree with those of you in the US where distrust of the profit motive of big pharma is a legitimate concern, but the rest of the world is not as profit driven when it comes to medicines and the regulators are more substantial.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote