Old 01-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #31
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

I would love a 4-3 DL of:
DT's Payne*, Ioannidis*, Settle
DE's Sweat*, Young*, Kerrigan
DT/DE Allen

That is seven D linemen who start for just about any other team in the NFL. Extend RK at a reasonable rate so that he can be a part of a 3/4 man rotation at DE. He came into the league as a "hand-in-the-dirt" DE who learned the 3-4 OLB position.

Also, I think the flexibility Allen gives us is that he is solid inside or out in the 4-3. Similarly, I don't know who our LBs are but I think RK as an OLB on passing downs is also is solid. He can cover, though not necessarily his strength, or pose a blitz threat.

[On 3 and long, a DL Sweat, Allen, Payne, Young with RK at OLB is a pretty intimidating pass rush for any team].

Advertisements
Old 01-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #32
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I would love a 4-3 DL of:

DT's Payne*, Ioannidis*, Settle

DE's Sweat*, Young*, Kerrigan

DT/DE Allen

That is seven D linemen who start for just about any other team in the NFL. Extend RK at a reasonable rate so that he can be a part of a 3/4 man rotation at DE. He came into the league as a "hand-in-the-dirt" DE who learned the 3-4 OLB position.

Also, I think the flexibility Allen gives us is that he is solid inside or out in the 4-3. Similarly, I don't know who our LBs are but I think RK as an OLB on passing downs is also is solid. He can cover, though not necessarily his strength, or pose a blitz threat.

[On 3 and long, a DL Sweat, Allen, Payne, Young with RK at OLB is a pretty intimidating pass rush for any team].

Will Ryan Kerrigan take a pay cut to stay on the team and be a backup to Chase Young?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:24 PM   #33
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Absolutely correct. But from a planning perspective the team has to assume it will carry the entire cap charge until it's determined they can collect on this policy.
Agree. Always appreciate your breakdown on the cap stuff. I just wanted to mention this because we could REALLY have a lot if we dump certain contracts, don't tag Scherff, and get the 12M credit if Smith is forced to retire. i cant remember where, but I saw a breakdown that had us at between 90 and 100M under the cap and none of the moves seemed crazy.

It would be really nice to see us keep 20-30M in cap space to roll over to next year, when we should have a lot of 3rd year players on rookie deals who we could extend.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #34
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Ryan Kerrigan as the Redskins move to a 4-3 base. Montez Sweat just finished his rookie season; they might draft Chase Young at No. 2. Kerrigan has one year left on his contract with a base salary of $11.5... es.pn/36ky68R

https://twitter.com/john_keim/status...083366402?s=21
Move on from Kerrigan...Young, Sweat, Allen at DE with Settle, Payne, Matty I DT...that's a strong across the board with 4 down lineman. Allen can both DT/DE

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #35
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Move on from Kerrigan...Young, Sweat, Allen at DE with Settle, Payne, Matty I DT...that's a strong across the board with 4 down lineman. Allen can both DT/DE
I agree, unless he would be willing to take a significant pay cut as part of a new deal. You can never have too many good pass rushers. He had a down year, so i'm not quite sure what kind of contract he would get on the open market. If we could sign him to an extension with a base salary around $6-8M per year with the potential to earn more with incentives, I would be all for it.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #36
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
... and Kerrigan can OLB/DE

The guy is solid and can help with transition. Find a cap friendly way to keep him. Seriously, this guy is as solid as they come and the type of vet who can lead by example under RR. My bet he is RR's kind of guy.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #37
SunnySide
Playmaker

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-202...e-agents-list/

I wouldnt consider anyone over 30 for this list.

LT:

Conklin (Tenn - 26 yrs old) - 78.3 PFF
Humphries (Cards - 26 yrs old) - 64.5 PFF w 13 penalties

G:

Thuney (NE - 27) - 77.4 PFF ... im guessing he gets a somewhat expensive contract
Glasgow (Det - 28) - 74.1 PFF

TE:

Austin Hooper (Atl - 25) - 78.3 PFF
Hunter Henry (LAC - 25) - 73.1 PFF

CB:

Byron Jones (Dal - 27) - 76.1 PFF ... I wouldnt want to break the bank for him. Seems like a CB2 ...

S:

Anthony Harris (Minn - 28) - 96.5 PFF

--------------------

Hooper/Henry - I would love either TE.

Conklin - would be nice as LT given the choices but I dont know enough about him to get into a bidding war. Perhaps ride w Penn for another year.

Harris - I dont know enough about him, seems like he had a big eyar at the right time. we need a roaming coverage FS imo to compliment Collins. is he that? idk. Also HaHa is a FA.

No one really jumps out but Im sure there will be some surprise cuts. You could splash for Amari Cooper if avail.

Lots of impact DE/Edge players available. Is this becoming any easy position to fill? GB just loaded up with the Smiths in FA and didnt have to spend high draft picks like we do.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #38
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
... and Kerrigan can OLB/DE

The guy is solid and can help with transition. Find a cap friendly way to keep him. Seriously, this guy is as solid as they come and the type of vet who can lead by example under RR. My bet he is RR's kind of guy.
He gonna have to take back up money to make it worth while. Why not take his 10 mil per year and pay a outside LB who can clean up? We substantially missed that this year on run defense. Or maybe an CB who can actually play man coverage? I’ve always been a Kerrigan fan, but he looked terrible this year...

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #39
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-202...e-agents-list/

I wouldnt consider anyone over 30 for this list.

LT:

Conklin (Tenn - 26 yrs old) - 78.3 PFF
Humphries (Cards - 26 yrs old) - 64.5 PFF w 13 penalties

G:

Thuney (NE - 27) - 77.4 PFF ... im guessing he gets a somewhat expensive contract
Glasgow (Det - 28) - 74.1 PFF

TE:

Austin Hooper (Atl - 25) - 78.3 PFF
Hunter Henry (LAC - 25) - 73.1 PFF

CB:

Byron Jones (Dal - 27) - 76.1 PFF ... I wouldnt want to break the bank for him. Seems like a CB2 ...

S:

Anthony Harris (Minn - 28) - 96.5 PFF

--------------------

Hooper/Henry - I would love either TE.

Conklin - would be nice as LT given the choices but I dont know enough about him to get into a bidding war. Perhaps ride w Penn for another year.

Harris - I dont know enough about him, seems like he had a big eyar at the right time. we need a roaming coverage FS imo to compliment Collins. is he that? idk. Also HaHa is a FA.

No one really jumps out but Im sure there will be some surprise cuts. You could splash for Amari Cooper if avail.

Lots of impact DE/Edge players available. Is this becoming any easy position to fill? GB just loaded up with the Smiths in FA and didnt have to spend high draft picks like we do.
Conklin is a RT, though a potential replacement for Moses if he is no longer deemed good enough. We wont need any more edge rushers , we will have an excess as it is
EdmundDorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:06 PM   #40
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Conklin is a RT, though a potential replacement for Moses if he is no longer deemed good enough. We wont need any more edge rushers , we will have an excess as it is
We dont need anymore edge rushers and we area dding another w the no. 2 overall Chase Young.

Most important positions past 20 years:

1. QB
2. Guys who protect QB
3. Guys who pressure QB

But now ... it seems like effective edge rushers are falling from the sky and impact players are readily avail in FA. half the damn list of impact FA are edge/rush guys ... all under 30.

Clowney
Chris Jones
Ngakoue
Armstead
fowler Jr
Shaq Barrett
bud Dupree
Judon
Leaonard Williams
Robert Quinn
van Noy

That is a ton of talented rushers.

Is this a position you dont have to draft heavy on now a days? Are we late to the party? All we do is draft end guys and we end up letting guys like Preston and Trent go bc we have too many already.

Are we dumb for using high draft picks on this position? There are like no OT and Gs worth it but a ton of DE. Before you could always add a solid to good G or C in FA, never an edge. Now its like opposite.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #41
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
We dont need anymore edge rushers and we area dding another w the no. 2 overall Chase Young.

Most important positions past 20 years:

1. QB
2. Guys who protect QB
3. Guys who pressure QB

But now ... it seems like effective edge rushers are falling from the sky and impact players are readily avail in FA. half the damn list of impact FA are edge/rush guys ... all under 30.

Clowney
Chris Jones
Ngakoue
Armstead
fowler Jr
Shaq Barrett
bud Dupree
Judon
Leaonard Williams
Robert Quinn
van Noy

That is a ton of talented rushers.

Is this a position you dont have to draft heavy on now a days? Are we late to the party? All we do is draft end guys and we end up letting guys like Preston and Trent go bc we have too many already.

Are we dumb for using high draft picks on this position? There are like no OT and Gs worth it but a ton of DE. Before you could always add a solid to good G or C in FA, never an edge. Now its like opposite.
Chase would replace Kerrigan, then you trade Kerrigan and get more cap space and a dominating pass rusher the equivalent of Quenton Nelson is to OLine. We do need a pash rusher badly.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:32 AM   #42
Brummie Brave
Camp Scrub

This thread is great. For a daft Brit who didn't grow up with the game its one of the more difficult aspects to understand. I've learnt so much just reading all this. Keep it coming...
Brummie Brave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:47 AM   #43
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummie Brave View Post
This thread is great. For a daft Brit who didn't grow up with the game its one of the more difficult aspects to understand. I've learnt so much just reading all this. Keep it coming...
I feel you man. This is one of the reason I enjoyed this place so much. You'll learn a lot about this beautiful sport. Cap management in sports surely is not something we're used to in Europe, but it's a quite important aspect of mid to long term roster building and managing.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #44
Brummie Brave
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I feel you man. This is one of the reason I enjoyed this place so much. You'll learn a lot about this beautiful sport. Cap management in sports surely is not something we're used to in Europe, but it's a quite important aspect of mid to long term roster building and managing.
Managing the roster and certainly the costs associated with it is something we could really learn from in Europe - particularly our football (soccer) clubs.
Brummie Brave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #45
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummie Brave View Post
Managing the roster and certainly the costs associated with it is something we could really learn from in Europe - particularly our football (soccer) clubs.
Hey hey hey easy there don't throw me into that soccer lover club, I hate soccer.

Jokes aside, salary cap and the draft are 2 of the systems I love about this sport, really smart ways to help keep it competitive. The more you'll get deep into it, the more you'll love it !