Rob Jackson 1 2.50%
Perry Riley 13 32.50%
Other 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #16
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: Breakout Redskin for 2011-Defense

I think everyone on the list has a legitimate shot at making an impact this year. I remember being impressed with Jackson a couple of years ago and being disappointed he wasn't given more opportunities. I love Henson's passion. I give Riley the edge in overall talent but passion can carry you a long way. If he can match Henson's passion and is given the opportunity, I could see him having a very good year. I'm really pulling for this guy. Barnes is capable of, and plays a position where he can make some spectacular game changing plays. Given the situation with Rogers and already having some real game time experience, I voted for Barnes.

Advertisements
Old 07-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
Mechanix544
The Starter

Riley will turn some heads this season. Barnes will probably be a nickel, due to the Nnamdi Asamough factor!!!!!!

I must be in the minority wanting us to sign him........but I really hope that we do. Our secondary would be scary good.........
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #18
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
With a legit pass rushing compliment on the other side I could see Rak taking a huge step forward... perhaps to the 14-16 sack range.

Granted we already know he's good, but I'm looking for him to take that next step to being great.
I agree. As we settle in the 3-4, I think we're going to see him continue to rise into the highest level of elite pass-rushers. We can't really pick him as a breakout since he's made the pro-bowl in each of his two NFL seasons, but I'm really excited to see him get after it this year.

I'm gonna go with Perry Riley. He showed flashes last year. I think he'll fit in this year as a solid starter.

Last edited by GMScud; 07-24-2011 at 05:08 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #19
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
Riley will turn some heads this season. Barnes will probably be a nickel, due to the Nnamdi Asamough factor!!!!!!

I must be in the minority wanting us to sign him........but I really hope that we do. Our secondary would be scary good.........
The only reason why hes been linked to us is because of the $$ he's asking for. If you go back to the original reports, the one that started it was by Jason La Confora saying 'he expects the skins to go after him because we're known to spend some money.' As soon as that quote of his came out dozens of football writers used it. So its a whole bunch of outlets coming off the same report. Also he would have said "my sources are telling me.." or "a source close to the redskins..." but he didn't hes just purely guessing.

Now the Cullen Jenkins thing has come from more than one report and has been linked to a source from the redskins and a source from Cullen's side.

See the difference here?

Would I want Nnamdi? Hell yes I would! Would I pay him the $17+ million he's asking for? Hell No, especially after the Haynesworth fiasco. He's going to Houston or Tampa when its all said and done. Not saying though that theres no chance we go after him or even get him..
Old 07-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #20
diehard
The Starter

I still don't particularly care for Haslett :P
Old 07-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #21
Skins4L
Impact Rookie

I hope Barnes steps up. I like a nice secondary with all the major passing teams out there. Even if it turns out we do pull the trigger on the elite Nnamdi he still will have a chance to impact.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #22
rypper11
The Starter

I like Riley because I think he's going to start inside.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #23
musicmaster45
Special Teams

I think its gonna be close race at the other inside linebacker between Blades and Riley. Henson i think will be still waiting as a back up. I think our Line Backers and Safeties will set our defense apart this next year one of the best linebacking cores and safties in the league at least top ten.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #24
SBXVII
Franchise Player

WTF? No Haynesworth? lol JK.

I figure Orakpo is going to be a beast with this new rookie coming aboard. But in all seriousness isn't this AH's third and final year of his contract? I could be mistaken so don't jump all over me but for some reason I thought he only got a 3 yr deal. So I'm just guessing he will want to be a beast in order to try and get another decent contract somewhere else next year. Otherwise who's going to want a lazy fat disgruntled football player?
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #25
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What non-rookie Redskin on Defense will have a breakout year in 2011? And why?
Loops sorry I read the question wrong from the title.

Failure! Sorry I should have caught the Non Redskin or Rookie part.

EDIT: I seriously have a head cold. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it. After carefully reading the Offensive Poll I came back and realized I was correct in the first thread.

For what ever reason I read the title as being Vets only, then I read Smoots question wrong thinking it said only "non-Redskins" or "Rookies", then came back and saw it was talking about Vets. Duh. So where's AH's name? lol.

Last edited by SBXVII; 07-24-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #26
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
The only reason why hes been linked to us is because of the $$ he's asking for. If you go back to the original reports, the one that started it was by Jason La Confora saying 'he expects the skins to go after him because we're known to spend some money.' As soon as that quote of his came out dozens of football writers used it. So its a whole bunch of outlets coming off the same report. Also he would have said "my sources are telling me.." or "a source close to the redskins..." but he didn't hes just purely guessing.

Now the Cullen Jenkins thing has come from more than one report and has been linked to a source from the redskins and a source from Cullen's side.

See the difference here?

Would I want Nnamdi? Hell yes I would! Would I pay him the $17+ million he's asking for? Hell No, especially after the Haynesworth fiasco. He's going to Houston or Tampa when its all said and done. Not saying though that theres no chance we go after him or even get him..

The team needs to spend 48 cents of every dollar on players anyway, and...... I'm sure the 17+ mill would not be for 1 year, the team would probably spread the 17 over 4-6 yrs. Thats not even counting any what they give up front or bonuses each year which also would scrape off the top.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #27
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
I still don't particularly care for Haslett :P
Still was not my top choice either but he's here. He helped develope the Steelers defense, so I'm holding out hope that it can be built here. If not then hopefully the guy who replaced him in Pitt will be available and we can replace Haslett with him and he can take the defense to the top like he has the Steelers.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #28
That Guy
Living Legend

bryant... he's got the best shot to get major reps right now, though that could always change by next week
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #29
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

I went with Riley but just barely over Barnes. I think he could be a smart "always where the ball is" type of guy. I can also see Landry knocking him out of the way hogging up all the tackles.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #30
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Henson was playing very good football last year before he got hurt.. He's got a pretty decent shot at breaking out.. Barnes will depend on what we do in free agency..

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote