Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins 2011 Starting Quarterback: John Beck?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Redskins 2011 Starting Quarterback: John Beck?

Donovan Mcnabb is on the way out ... he would get way too much money if he stayed another season and didn't show enough to be kept around. Rex is technically a free agent and next in line is John Beck who has been on 3 teams in 4 years. We didn't really improve the OL through the draft focusing more on getting 3-4 defense players and WRs/RBs.

What's the move? veteran QB coming in, Rex Grossman resigned, or John Beck thrown into the mix against he NFC east defenses?

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Re: Redskins 2011 Starting Quarterback: John Beck?

Without a proper "league beginning".
Who the fox knows?
All bets are off until normalacy returns.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
cdskins26
Special Teams

I think we bring in a guy like vince young or alex smith to compete with beck and grossman for the starting nod. Assuming they are anything short of brilliant, I believe that we we give up what we need to in order to get our guy next year whether it be Luck, Barkley, or anyone else who emerges next year. Our draft to build our defensive depth along with a bunch of fliers at the skill positions has enabled us to have some trial and error this season, and have a chance to experience at least a rams-esque turnaround the year after with our guy. Our priorities next year should be QB QB, OT, CB, and ILB.

But to answer your question, unless Beck works his way into the role from camp, and uses the opportunity to breakout and look like something he never has before, I dont see him as the 2011 starter.
cdskins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
saden1
MVP

We shall see what he can do first...until then we have two father quarterbacks in front of him.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
diehard
The Starter

Andrew Luck, we're on our way...
Old 04-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
GusFrerotte

That is moronic if Kiper is right about us wanting Beck to start, but I think you are going to see a push for a McNabb for Palmer trade here soon once the lockout crap is taken care of.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
SBXVII
Franchise Player

This is the way I see it...

No matter who we bring in "new" they will need time to learn the terminology and plays as well as connecting with the WR's. So as of right now we can all pretty much agree McNabb will be gone or atleast more then likely. We technically still could keep McNabb but the big question is have they worked out their differences? probably not.

Either the team resignes Grossman who knows the system inside and out for another year, or they hope Beck has learned enough to take over the reigns, or they go with someone totally new who will take (yet again) more time to learn the system.

I'd prefer to simply resign Grossman and see what Beck has learned during preseason since Beck was supposedly Shanahan's favorite and wanted to draft him when he was coming out of college. If Beck lives up to his billing then lets start Beck with Grossman as back up. If were stuck with Grossman then next year we can sign another QB from the draft unless one from this year gets cut.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
Donovan Mcnabb is on the way out ... he would get way too much money if he stayed another season and didn't show enough to be kept around. Rex is technically a free agent and next in line is John Beck who has been on 3 teams in 4 years. We didn't really improve the OL through the draft focusing more on getting 3-4 defense players and WRs/RBs.

What's the move? veteran QB coming in, Rex Grossman resigned, or John Beck thrown into the mix against he NFC east defenses?
Mr Palmer for Mr McNabb, plus a pick.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
GusFrerotte

I say that because for the simple fact that Beck isn't the answer at QB and shouldn't be on the team at all. In fact, I predict in 2012 his ass is gone. We won't get Luck, but we could a couple mid rounders like Persa or a SEC QB.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #10
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

One thing is for sure. Whatever QB we have will be the one that gives us the best opportunity to win.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I can't believe that I am saying this but...Vince Young.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #12
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
That is moronic if Kiper is right about us wanting Beck to start, but I think you are going to see a push for a McNabb for Palmer trade here soon once the lockout crap is taken care of.
Umm, why would we trade one washed up QB for another?

I can't stand the idea of Vince Young even being considered for our QB position. I was against McNabb also but could understand the concept because MS has gone to a SB with an aged QB. Vince Young on the other hand has no desirable traits. Often injured, throws tempertantrums, hooked on prescription drugs. Ok he may have quit using the drugs but should we tempt fate? Plus he really wasn't all that great. I actually felt kinda sorry for the Titans when they had him.

Between the two I'd take Alex Smith 100x out of a 100. Atleast he's coachable, doesn't use drugs (that we know of), and didn't suck too bad.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

Bring back Grossman. The INTs are aggravating but he was fairly prolific in those last five games last season.

He definitely won't win us any Super Bowls but at least he'll give the young WRs we just drafted a chance to develop.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #14
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
This is the way I see it...

No matter who we bring in "new" they will need time to learn the terminology and plays as well as connecting with the WR's. So as of right now we can all pretty much agree McNabb will be gone or atleast more then likely. We technically still could keep McNabb but the big question is have they worked out their differences? probably not.

Either the team resignes Grossman who knows the system inside and out for another year, or they hope Beck has learned enough to take over the reigns, or they go with someone totally new who will take (yet again) more time to learn the system.

I'd prefer to simply resign Grossman and see what Beck has learned during preseason since Beck was supposedly Shanahan's favorite and wanted to draft him when he was coming out of college. If Beck lives up to his billing then lets start Beck with Grossman as back up. If were stuck with Grossman then next year we can sign another QB from the draft unless one from this year gets cut.
Resign Grossman and pick up Palmer, then draft a youngster or two in 2012.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #15
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Umm, why would we trade one washed up QB for another?

I can't stand the idea of Vince Young even being considered for our QB position. I was against McNabb also but could understand the concept because MS has gone to a SB with an aged QB. Vince Young on the other hand has no desirable traits. Often injured, throws tempertantrums, hooked on prescription drugs. Ok he may have quit using the drugs but should we tempt fate? Plus he really wasn't all that great. I actually felt kinda sorry for the Titans when they had him.

Between the two I'd take Alex Smith 100x out of a 100. Atleast he's coachable, doesn't use drugs (that we know of), and didn't suck too bad.

I would applaud an Alex Smith acquisition. In fact, that is probably deal #2 for Shanny, if not deal #1 to settle the starting QB issue. I don't think Palmer is washed up though. The Bengals just plain stink.