Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Giants Postgame

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who gets your game ball for the Redskins 20-13 win over the Giants?
Peterson 17 38.64%
Swearinger 16 36.36%
Ioannidis 8 18.18%
Kerrigan 1 2.27%
other 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #196
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Giants Postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
5-2

Are we reliant on the running game and defense? Yup. 5-2
Will the passing game be a problem if we start getting into shoot-outs? Yup. 5-2
Could the passing game improve over the next nine games? Yup. 5-2

Right now, we are on a three game win streak based off of a freakishly good D-Line that has a solid rotation and depth w/ two terrific run-stoppers behind them. We are running the ball well behind a line of two potential all-pros and solid work from the rest of the line. We are winning the turnover battle with a QB who, as a rule throughout his career, seems to avoid stupid interceptions and protects the ball. We a RB with old legs but generational talent. 5-2

There is nothing gimmicky about this approach. It is not a "Once other teams figure us out, this formula will no longer work." Rather, it is an age old formula, win the trenches, run the ball, stop the run, and protect the ball. It will never be pretty. In the new NFFL (National Flag Football League), it won't make the highlight reels. It will just win games. 5-2

In the latest ESPN power rankings, we are 13th. The Carolina Panthers (who we beat) are 6th. The Green Bay Packers (who we beat) are 11th. Philadelphia (at 4-4 and whom we lead by two games in the division) are 9th. Apparently, LOTS of people do not think this formula works in the current NFL. 5-2

Atlanta is a huge game. Win at home against a potent offense. If we do win, it will likely come down to the last 2:00 with our D trying to hold off one more score. Even if we do win, however, it will likely be written off as a fluke unless we put up gaudy statistics.

6-2.
Boom! #micdrop
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #197
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Cant say enough about Matt I. Dude on tape is throwing guys all over the place like a rag doll. He will command a big payday IMO if he keeps this up.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #198
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Just wanted to test how to create and share GIFs, because sometimes I see a play on the All 22 that I'd like to share, or ask your guys' take on it.
And I'll start with this one from Sunday, where Mason Foster blows the LT and makes a nice TFL, awesome play:

https://gph.is/2RrUAgu
Old 10-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #199
MTK
\m/

Giants Postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Just wanted to test how to create and share GIFs, because sometimes I see a play on the All 22 that I'd like to share, or ask your guys' take on it.

And I'll start with this one from Sunday, where Mason Foster blows the LT and makes a nice TFL, awesome play:

https://gph.is/2RrUAgu

Saw that play on Baldy’s breakdowns... he said sometimes you’re the hammer and sometimes you’re the nail, Foster was the hammer there

Thanks for sharing
Old 10-31-2018, 10:56 AM   #200
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

Giants Postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
5-2

Are we reliant on the running game and defense? Yup. 5-2

Will the passing game be a problem if we start getting into shoot-outs? Yup. 5-2

Could the passing game improve over the next nine games? Yup. 5-2

Right now, we are on a three game win streak based off of a freakishly good D-Line that has a solid rotation and depth w/ two terrific run-stoppers behind them. We are running the ball well behind a line of two potential all-pros and solid work from the rest of the line. We are winning the turnover battle with a QB who, as a rule throughout his career, seems to avoid stupid interceptions and protects the ball. We a RB with old legs but generational talent. 5-2

There is nothing gimmicky about this approach. It is not a "Once other teams figure us out, this formula will no longer work." Rather, it is an age old formula, win the trenches, run the ball, stop the run, and protect the ball. It will never be pretty. In the new NFFL (National Flag Football League), it won't make the highlight reels. It will just win games. 5-2

In the latest ESPN power rankings, we are 13th. The Carolina Panthers (who we beat) are 6th. The Green Bay Packers (who we beat) are 11th. Philadelphia (at 4-4 and whom we lead by two games in the division) are 9th. Apparently, LOTS of people do not think this formula works in the current NFL. 5-2

Atlanta is a huge game. Win at home against a potent offense. If we do win, it will likely come down to the last 2:00 with our D trying to hold off one more score. Even if we do win, however, it will likely be written off as a fluke unless we put up gaudy statistics.

6-2.

And just because we’re 5-2 doesn’t mean we don’t have a problem at QB. Eventually we’re going to need to air it out to win a shoot out, and Smith will wilt as seen in the Colts game, the Saints game, and almost happened in other games. This weekend will be a test not only of our defense, but Smith if we get into a shootout with Matt Ryan, and you can BET Smith won’t be able to keep up.

Sometimes you need to strike quickly to take the momentum from the other team, sometimes the ground game is down and you need to shoulder the load, sometimes you need to send the ball more than 5 yards. SMITH CANT DO IT. He puts people to sleep and scares no one. If we didn’t have AP we’d be FUCKED

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5superbowls3wins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:20 AM   #201
Kope
Special Teams

Smith can do it. He did so last year - this cannot be argued, it is a fact. Better than average NFL QB play is an extremely intricate and difficult process, but it is a process. The beauty of the Smith is he isn't shit canning games as the process happens. We are still in a good position despite being out of synch passing the ball. That is a huge positive as far as I am concerned. I really do have faith that Gruden and Smith will get the passing offense sorted.

This on top of the fact that Jon Allen, Swearinger and the defense were pissed after the giants game. Skins are only going to get better.
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:38 AM   #202
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kope View Post
Smith can do it. He did so last year - this cannot be argued, it is a fact. Better than average NFL QB play is an extremely intricate and difficult process, but it is a process. The beauty of the Smith is he isn't shit canning games as the process happens. We are still in a good position despite being out of synch passing the ball. That is a huge positive as far as I am concerned. I really do have faith that Gruden and Smith will get the passing offense sorted.

This on top of the fact that Jon Allen, Swearinger and the defense were pissed after the giants game. Skins are only going to get better.
Josh Norman was on the Deion podcast and when he was asked about Alex his first response was "Alex is smart, he doesn't put the defense in bad situations"

And if u think about it, he's right. When has Alex made that "O shit" mistake this season? He isn't a sexy QB but he's a winner and his guys love him
Old 10-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #203
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Josh Norman was on the Deion podcast and when he was asked about Alex his first response was "Alex is smart, he doesn't put the defense in bad situations"

And if u think about it, he's right. When has Alex made that "O shit" mistake this season? He isn't a sexy QB but he's a winner and his guys love him
Dallas game when he stopped the clock
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:12 PM   #204
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5superbowls3wins View Post
And just because we’re 5-2 doesn’t mean we don’t have a problem at QB. Eventually we’re going to need to air it out to win a shoot out, and Smith will wilt as seen in the Colts game, the Saints game, and almost happened in other games. This weekend will be a test not only of our defense, but Smith if we get into a shootout with Matt Ryan, and you can BET Smith won’t be able to keep up.

Sometimes you need to strike quickly to take the momentum from the other team, sometimes the ground game is down and you need to shoulder the load, sometimes you need to send the ball more than 5 yards. SMITH CANT DO IT. He puts people to sleep and scares no one. If we didn’t have AP we’d be FUCKED
... and if we didn't have two all-pro linemen, we'd be fucked ... or if we didn't have a run stopping defense we be fucked ... or if we had a QB who turned the ball over at inopportune times, we be fucked. HOWEVER we do have AP, a solid line, a run stopping defense, and a QB who is careful with the ball. So to date, we are not fucked; we are 5-2.

You point to the Colts and Saints game. Sure, Smith did not perform well; he didn't put the team on his shoulders and light it up. In both games, however, the team - and I mean the whole team - came out flat. Expecting a QB with 2 and 4 games under his belt in the system to make up for a team-wide collapse is pretty unrealistic. Even in the best of circumstances, if the lineman aren't blocking and the defense is getting run up and down the field, very, very few QB's can pull that sh** from the fire. At some point this season, Smith may be able to give them a fighting chance, but right now? I agree he is not there yet.

As Kope said, Smith can throw it deep and did so last year. Clearly, the passing game needs to improve but I fail to see evidence that it cannot do so as the season progresses. In fact, it seems to me that, each game, Smith is pressing his comfort level a little further with a couple more deep shots to Richardson and contested passes to Doctson than the last game - while at the same time not turning the ball over.

If we are still having this conversation at the end of the year, if Smith shows no advancement despite playing a full season in the system with the same receivers, than, yes, I will be more receptive to the argument. However, RIGHT NOW, Smith is protecting the ball and helping the offense do just enough to win games. Five games out of seven in fact.

Smith has been a successful, winning QB for many years. He will never be flashy or put up gaudy statistics.

So far, all he does is win.
6-2
Old 10-31-2018, 12:14 PM   #205
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Yup. I agree - that's one. In the past six years, I would suggest that our "Oh shit" QB count was much, much higher by game seven.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:51 PM   #206
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5superbowls3wins View Post

If we didn't have AP we likely would have had Guice. The team clearly recognized the need for a playmaker RB with AS at QB, that's no shock. The shock was that we were able to get one of the best. I won't complain that they saw a need, went out, and grabbed the guy that is now a major cog.

Our game plan (as evidenced by the fact that in all 5 wins we get the lead, hold the lead and win) is always to, as you say, to strike first and keep the other team from going crazy. So far that strategy has worked all but 2 times.

The Falcons are a 3-4 team, they can challenge, but they put up 23 points on the Giants, they aren't the Saints. Sure they can beat us, we aren't the Saints or the Rams either. But our strategy isn't to be either of those teams because our FO/Coach understands the talent and the team they have built, and how to win with it.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:35 PM   #207
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

Fair enough. Smith needs time to learn the system, get comfortable and establish rhythm with the WRs. I won’t say anything else and reserve further judgement until the end of the season.

5superbowls3wins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #208
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Boom! #micdrop
Old 11-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #209
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kope View Post

Yeah the fact is he did it LAST YEAR! Anyone with eyes can see Smith is not playing like he did last year,just hope somehow he turns it around
Old 11-01-2018, 06:43 PM   #210
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Just listened to Cooley's podcast.

PFF gave Ionnidas a grade in the 50s. A terrible performance.

Cooley mentioned the grade and really questioned its legitimacy.

Said hands down it was an A performance.

This is the issue I have with touting PFF as the gospel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by DYoungJelly; 11-01-2018 at 08:30 PM.
DYoungJelly is offline   Reply With Quote