Round 6, Pick 23 (191) SS Bacarri Rambo

Round 7, Pick 22 (228) RB Jawan Jamison

Advertisements
Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

I'd give this draft an A-

We addressed pretty much all the important positions of need in S and CB. Sure we didn't get an OT, but there's 4 guys we're going to have competing at RT. Sure we didn't get a WR, but to the same token, we did just get a TE thats basically a WR.

This draft we just had is literally the Boom or Bust draft. David Amerson has shown his Boom and his Bust potential. Jordan Reed can catch great, but can't block. Will he get the coaching he needs to become a more complete TE or fizzle out. Phillip Thomas was an all american, but only excels in certain schemes. Will he fit our scheme or suck like many Redskin insiders and experts believe he will? Brandon Jenkins was a first round talent but got hurt and missed the rest of the year. Are we getting the first rounders or a 5th rounder? Chris Thompson showed flashes of Darren Sproles, but didn't play this year with a Torn ACL. Are we getting a different player or the same player? Bacarri Rambo was a great college player, but had troubles in parts of his game and off the field. Are we getting the headcase or the defensive stud? Jawan Jamison looks like another Shanahan back, but he is small and going against Royster and Helu. Will he beat them out (also Chris Thompson) and make this team or will he just be a wasted pick of another RB that wasn't needed.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think we made out pretty dag on good. Give it a B+. Safeties, CB, RBs...looks like a good balance. The wild card is Jordan Reed. Woulda liked a WR, but he may be able to fill a playmaking ability that WR coulda brought us. The Jordan Reed pick says Niles Paul and Fred Davis need to bring their A game to camp.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
That Guy
Living Legend

B.

while we were a bit surprised at the first pick, at the end it looks like they really had a plan and stuck to it. I think they got better value as every round went by and did a good job of addressing needs/getting talent without needing to reach for guys.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
FRPLG
MVP

Amerson - incomplete - Not convinced thy wont move him to S
Reed - A -love love this pick
Thomas - C - not a great fit but he can play so maybe coaching will change that
Thompson - A - also really like...he supplants helu I am pretty sure
Jenkins - B - good value pick. The foot injury dropped him 3 rounds probably
Rambo - B - loved Rambo at this point in the draft. He has a good shot at starting soon
Jamison - A - a lot like Jenkins he slid due to injury concerns

I graded based on value not sheer ability.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
RGIII

I feel like Thompson was a reach. Overall B=

With two picks in the 5th, you'd think the Skins had some leverage. Aboushi was selected 13 picks prior to Thompson. Bakhtiari 45 picks prior to (there was a run on OTs in the 4th). I know it's complicated to say what would've happened barring a trade but, I think a quality backup is needed at LT.

Last edited by RGIII; 04-27-2013 at 07:30 PM.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
RGIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
B.

while we were a bit surprised at the first pick, at the end it looks like they really had a plan and stuck to it. I think they got better value as every round went by and did a good job of addressing needs/getting talent without needing to reach for guys.
Wasn't surprised by the pick but, I was irritated that certain players came off the board several picks just before the Skins turn was up. Maybe fans of every team felt that way at some point.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I feel like both RB are complete injury prone players. Add that with Helu and we probably need to add more medical staff to the team. Brandon Jenkins is another one coming off a bad injury.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
los panda
Pro Bowl

c grade

2 rbs and not 1 o-lineman (not 1 d-lineman either assuming jenkins is now a lb)
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
c grade

2 rbs and not 1 o-lineman (not 1 d-lineman either assuming jenkins is now a lb)
Were we not the number one rushing team in the league? How many games did our starting OL miss with injury?

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I give our draft an A. I would have liked to see an inside linebacker and right tackle get picked, but you only get so many picks.

As FSU is my favorite college team I am a little biased by I love the Chris Thompson pick, he is awesome out of the backfield, is very shifty, and good in the open field. He will make a lot of plays for us. Jenkins is a good pass rusher, and with Orakpo having injuries recently and Jackson being suspended the 1st 4 games it will be good for depth.

Thomas, Amerson, and Rambo all look like awesome playmakers which we don't have a lot of in the secondary. If Merriweather comes back healthy we will have good depth at safety.

Reed will be another target for RGIII that should create some good mismatches. I am not too familiar with the RB for Rutgers, but if Shanny thinks he is good enough, then thats good enough for me.

Looking forward to seeing our defense next year with the draft picks, and guys coming back from injury.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Love how the talking heads and prognosticators on TV are so sure about their ratings of everybody's draft. Would love to see NFL network's draft ratings for 2010, and point and laugh today.

I'm happy with us getting 3 secondary guys, other than that I have no clue who's gonna be hit or bust.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Amerson- a true potential shutdown corner. It would surprise me if J. Wilson doesn't get bumped to nickle back and Amerson isn't starting opposite D. Dall by week 4.

Reed- Every scout compared him to Aaron Hernadez. The Redskins became even more explosive on offense.

Phillip Thomas- a great fit for the 3-4! He's already familiar with the schemes that Haslett likes to run. A true ball hawk that can cover and hit! A lot of people thinks he isn't good as your typical safety, and they only say that because he played in the Mountain West Conference.

Thompson- I like his running style. What he was at FSU was the same thing Reggie Bush was at USC. I think Helu might end up being traded for a low draft choice because of Thompson's upside.

Jenkins- It looks as if he'll be a reserve OLB for Kerrigan since Rob Jackson backs up Orakpo.

Rambo- the potential for off the field issues is the only thing that will stand in his way. I like this pick. Another hard hitting, ball hawking safety in addition to P. Thomas!

Jamison- He's a target out of the backfield and could sub for Alfred Morris at times. They should use him to run back kicks.

Overall Grade= B plus!

I like what our front office was able to do even without a first round draft choice.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

ESPN's Scouts Inc Pick-By-Pick Evaluation

David Amerson - CB - NC State - Rd 2-19(51) - Grade 70:
What he brings: There is no question Amerson has everything you want in terms of size, length and top-end speed. He took a step back in 2012, though, after leading the nation in interceptions in 2011. The biggest concerns are his inability to quickly transition out of breaks and his struggles when turning to locate the ball. However, if you play to his strengths and put him in press-man coverage, he can be an asset.

How he fits: This secondary really struggled in pass defense last season, and it was really exposed by quarterbacks who attacked vertically. Washington has one player that it can count on somewhat, DeAngelo Hall, but his play is starting to slip. The other corners, Josh Wilson, Richard Crawford and E.J. Biggers, are just average players competing for the No. 2 position. This group is really exposed when it has to go to sub packages against multi-receiver sets. Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett likes to play press schemes, which fits the skill set of Amerson, but he's not a turn-and-run vertical cover player.

Jordan Reed - TE - Florida - Rd 3-23(85) - Grade 69:
What he brings: Reed lacks ideal size to be a traditional Y tight end, and won't provide much as a blocker. However, he has a natural feel as a route-runner and pass catcher to move around formations to create mismatches. Reed doesn't have elite speed, but he sets up his breaks well and shows above-average body control and hands catching the ball. In addition, he is shifty after the catch and shows good vision in the open field to pick up yards.

How he fits: Although starter Fred Davis was coming off an Achilles injury, the Redskins made a good move re-signing him. Davis is a productive player in the passing game. However, his backup, Logan Paulsen, is more of a blocking tight end and doesn't give them much as a receiver in two-tight-end sets. Reed is strictly a move-type tight end who can flex in motion, which can open up this offense nicely when the Redskins want to play with two tight ends.

Phillip Thomas - S - Fresno State - Rd 4-22(119) - Grade 72:
What he brings: Thomas was the leading tackler for Fresno State and brings a lot of versatility to the position. He has strong eyes in coverage and finds the ball quickly. Thomas brings good ball production to the table as well, and led the FBS with eight interceptions in 2012. The only knock on Thomas is that he lacks elite range and closing burst.

How he fits: This organization has been trying to fix the safety position for a long time without much success. It has been a revolving door of mediocre players. The Redskins secondary gives up too many big plays between the hashes, and tight ends who can run vertical seam routes really expose starting safeties Brandon Meriweather and Reed Doughty. There do not appear to be backups who can develop into potential starters. That forces the coaches to use their linebackers more in coverage, which has a trickle-down effect. Thomas will have every chance in the world to be in the mix early as a potential starter.

Chris Thompson - RB - Florida State - Rd 5-21(154) - Grade 30:
Thompson has a laundry list of of major injuries, including a season-ending back injury early in his career and a torn ACL this past fall. When healthy, Thompson reminded us of Warrick Dunn. Thompson appears to be gliding on the field, and has rare acceleration to hit the home run when finding the open field. He doesn't have exceptional lateral agility and power, but he is versatile and a big-play threat every time he touches the ball. Although RB doesn't look like a need here, his skill set is different enough from Alfred Morris' that it gives the Redskins' offense a lot more versatility.

Brandon Jenkins - OLB - Florida State - Rd 5-29(162) - Grade 71:
Jenkins saw his senior year cut short due to a broken foot in the season opener. However, he provides upside as a pass-rusher off the edge. Jenkins shows good first-step quickness and flashes a wide variety of pass-rush moves. He can learn to play with better leverage when setting the edge, however. The return of starters Ryan Kerrigan and Brian Orakpo, and the addition of free agent Darryl Tapp, should give this position production and depth, allowing Jenkins some time to develop as another edge rusher.

Bacarri Rambo - S - Georgia - Rd 6-23(191) - Grade 70:
Rambo likely dropped due to some minor off-field issues. He has some limitations in coverage, but he is instinctive and has a knack for finding and playing the ball. He also shows a quick close when filling in run support but could clean up his angles. Rambo brings good value at this point and adds immediate depth, and he can eventually develop into a starter down the road.

Jawan Jamison - RB - Rutgers - Rd 7-22(228) - Grade 51:
Jamison has a low center of gravity and the lateral agility to get in and out of traffic near the line of scrimmage. We also like his finishing ability, and he will will lower his pads on contact. The big knocks on Jamison are his lack of top-end speed and some maturity issues that likely caused him to drop a little.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Were we not the number one rushing team in the league? How many games did our starting OL miss with injury?
that's why i scratched my head at 2 rbs drafted.

does jammal brown count?