Homecoming / Houston Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #151
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Homecoming / Houston Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I’m convinced now that some people miss the days of having a QB that could put up pretty numbers even if it meant losing 28-24 vs winning 16-3.

Smith’s contribution has been lack of turnovers and winning the field position battle. The +11 turnover ratio is one of the main reasons we’re 6-3 along with the D, AP, and special teams.
Ok but you could have got Colt to do what Smith is doing. You didn't need to extend him, give him a boat load of money and basically be married to him. Plus you gave away one of your better players who we really need right now. That was done partly to appease the fanbase for fucking up on Cousins. They couldn't sell Colt to the fans.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #152
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I do not see any data that suggests Colt can do what AS is doing only conjecture. If you look at Colts lifetime stats he has thrown for 26 TDs vs 23 Int. His best year throwing was 2.2 int %. Alex Smith has not had an Int% above 2 since 2012.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...S/SmitAl03.htm
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #153
Schneed10
A Dude

Agree, that’s a very dubious claim. Smith’s turnover rate per snap and per game is miles ahead of Colt’s, whether you count Colt’s entire career or count only his Redskins career, either way.

You know how talking heads always love to say Alex Smith just wins games, and they seemingly throw up their hands as if there’s no explanation for it? The reason that happens is the low turnover rate. There’s no stat more correlated with wins/losses than turnover margin. Smith’s teams almost always are on the plus side.

Now I do understand some consternation - if you’re down by 7 in the 4th and you need a TD I don’t like Smith’s chances and that limits us. But if you had played Colt that entire game then we’re more likely to be down by 14 in the 4th.

Smith is not Brees who keeps turnovers low AND carves up defenses. But he’s also not Cousins, who carved up defenses but coughs the ball up.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #154
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think in this day and age everyone is so QB focused it’s easy to forget there are other formulas for success that don’t revolve around having a stud QB.

Yeah CR it’s funny how winning with D and the running game is somehow a bad thing.

Please. It is undisputed that the QB is the most critical position in all of sports. Ours sucks and cannot throw a ball over 10yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5superbowls3wins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #155
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5superbowls3wins View Post
Please. It is undisputed that the QB is the most critical position in all of sports. Ours sucks and cannot throw a ball over 10yds.

I don't think he has a lot of opportunities to throw it deep right now. PR was our only deep threat.

He was injured near the beginning of the season and played injured until he was shut down.

Nobody else on the roster can take the top off and the defenses adjust and play the intermediate routes more aggressively.

VD is the closest thing we have to a deep threat and he really isn't.

The rest of the receivers can't create separation with speed.

He isn't throwing it deep, but that doesn't mean he can't.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #156
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

Homecoming / Houston Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
I don't think he has a lot of opportunities to throw it deep right now. PR was our only deep threat.

He was injured near the beginning of the season and played injured until he was shut down.

Nobody else on the roster can take the top off and the defenses adjust and play the intermediate routes more aggressively.

VD is the closest thing we have to a deep threat and he really isn't.

The rest of the receivers can't create separation with speed.

He isn't throwing it deep, but that doesn't mean he can't.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So how come Cousins could run high octane with a desimated line, Jordan Reed injured most of the year, Chris Thompson injured most of the year, Doctson out all year, no running game, and a horrible defense that put all the load on the offense???

Smith has been handed a mostly healthy line, healthy Jordan Reed, healthy Doctson, and excellent ground game, stout defense, and still can’t produce??

5superbowls3wins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #157
MTK
\m/

All that from Cousins last year led to 7 wins

We can match that total today
Old 11-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #158
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I am very excited for today's game. I read somewhere that Houston's RZ offense and RZ defense are both bottom of the barrel in the NFL. If the Skins defense keeps the plays in front the Houston offense can be held. I think we have some opportunities for RZ touchdowns their super aggressive front will open up short gains.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #159
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

Quote:
So how come Cousins could run high octane with a desimated line, Jordan Reed injured most of the year, Chris Thompson injured most of the year, Doctson out all year, no running game, and a horrible defense that put all the load on the offense???

Smith has been handed a mostly healthy line, healthy Jordan Reed, healthy Doctson, and excellent ground game, stout defense, and still can’t produce??

This is fake news. He has 2 OL starters, Doctson missed a few games, and he is missing the best receivers on the team. (Crowder and Prich)
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #160
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:

All that high octane then the dragster engine would explode right before the finish line and go sideways. For all his pretty stats Kirk was 26-30-1 as a starter here. He seemed to make his bonehead plays and bad throws at the worst possible time. He is 5-3-1 with a Minnesota team that is equal to or better talent wise than our Redskins. Three times this year he has thrown for over 350 yards and in those games he is 0-3. I will take 200 yards, no turnovers and a "W" over that anytime.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #161
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
There are many experts that don't take this team seriously, however I think our D is the best it's been in many, many years and are young. The O hasn't really clicked yet, injuries to the RB's, OL, WR don't help. I've been critical of Alex Smith but will give him a chance this year, if he plays like this next year then I'll be ripping him like you and Punch. My beef has been the inconsistency, hopefully with experience and determination can be resolved.
There is no doubt in my mind that the MSM has a bias against our organization. But I think the Steven A Smith's of the world got it right this time. Our team has some good pieces to work with, but right now we're just not good enough to be taken seriously as a contender. I agree that the defense is vastly improved from last year. This is the best defensive team we've had since Greg Williams and Joe Gibbs era. However, this offense is horrible. Without AP, we would be the worst offense in the league. We sucked before all the injuries. Alex Smith doesn't turn the ball over but he's doesn't do much of anything else. I'm ready to see what Colt can do.
httr198020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #162
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I do not see any data that suggests Colt can do what AS is doing only conjecture. If you look at Colts lifetime stats he has thrown for 26 TDs vs 23 Int. His best year throwing was 2.2 int %. Alex Smith has not had an Int% above 2 since 2012.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...S/SmitAl03.htm
Colt can do way more than what Alex can do. We would be able to move the ball on a consistent basis and score more points with Colt. You can't compare Colt stats with Alex stats because Colt hasn't gotten an opportunity. The last time he got a chance to start for this team was back in 2014. He's grown as a player and he knows this system better than anyone on this roster. I think it's time to see what he can do.
httr198020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #163
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that the MSM has a bias against our organization. But I think the Steven A Smith's of the world got it right this time. Our team has some good pieces to work with, but right now we're just not good enough to be taken seriously as a contender. I agree that the defense is vastly improved from last year. This is the best defensive team we've had since Greg Williams and Joe Gibbs era. However, this offense is horrible. Without AP, we would be the worst offense in the league. We sucked before all the injuries. Alex Smith doesn't turn the ball over but he's doesn't do much of anything else. I'm ready to see what Colt can do.
Look here for what Colt can do if you have never seen him play:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...M/McCoCo00.htm

He quickly became nothing more than a back up for a reason.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:03 AM   #164
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Cousins isn't on the team. We didn't win jack squat with him either. Fuck him. Alex is, and we're 6-3.

2 of the 3 games we lost, the defense got merked. Offense really had no chance to win those. The Colts game is the only game if offense could have did something we could have won. Now the defense has helped us win 6, if not won them for us, so not blaming them. Just saying, 6 of 7 the games we had an actual chance to win, we did, and Alex was part of those.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #165
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Did Colt McCoy win 2 super bowls or something? I love having him on the team, we have one of if not the best back-up QBS in the NFL and I trust him coming in in a pinch, but I don't understand this obsession to bench a proven QB and make him permanent starter. Do a few of you know more about Colt than the all 32 teams?
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote