Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #151
Hamoskinz
Special Teams

Re: Current Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Well maybe I'm just feeling optimistic cause i ducked out early today from the office but I actually see positives in this article.

First to dispose of the unequivocal downers: 1) Rinehart. W T F. A third round o-lineman should be ready by his 2nd year. I'd call him a bust officially and being that he came from small ball in the f'd up college divisions someone in the FO decided to take the chance on this guy... damn it! If he's not even providing depth the way Stephen "Baby Fat" Heyer could as a rookie maybe Rinehart should be dropped. Just wondering out loud. 2) Marcus and the FO, evidently, want to go separate ways. One of my favorite team personalities and a guy I thought we could cut/resign or restructure on the cheap. Oh well.

On to the possitives...

1). It's great the coaches/FO recognize JJ cannot compete @ RT any longer. Like JLC said this means we probably draft one of the top 3 or 4 OTs this year. IMO that's a major upgrade to the line and therefor an overall benefit for the offense... i like it. But secondly it means JJ can compete for an interior position and I won't be surprised if he plays and does well. Jansen has struggled w/ his lateral movement mostly from what I can tell. He should be more effective on the inside w/ less "space" around him and he's still a very good run blocker. Thomas is back for sure cause of the cap, so be it, I hope JJ is our other guard unless we luck out and get a quality value starter in FA. Kendell's age and inability to practice w/ the squad should mean he's headed down the road.

2) It's good news Taylor and Springs are likely to move on (based on their greed but any reason is fine by me). It frees up a ton of cap space giving us at least some hope of FA signings. Also both players have negatives. Springs' are more obvious in terms of injuries but Taylor also has negatives as I'm not convinced he's a great fit in our system. AC does a solid job on his side, but we need help at left end. Nothing mentioned about Daniels in there which worries me. As much as I like him the age/injury factor is too big. Cutting Daniels also frees up more cap room to sign a value DE as his replacement.

... last positive to Springs refusing to restructure is it should keep Los here. Great news IMO.

3) Glad to hear Griff will be back. He was a GD warrior for us last year regardless of stats. Signing a monster tackle would be a nice luxury but doesn't count as a priority. Golston and Monty will continue to improve and Griff will be back. An upgrade at DE, which seems more likely now w/ Taylor's situation, should improve the pass rush somewhat.

To sum up I see good things out of this, despite the uncertainties. Clearly we'll need to replace Marcus. I would like to see a OLB drafted in the 3rd rd but who knows if the kid would be ready to start (maybe a college ball guru could chime in as to who should be available). Otherwise the d looks to be on the '08 level for quality. London is the key, make no mistake about it, and while he'll be a year older he's still a tackling machine. After getting snubbed on the pro-bowl (again) i wouldn't be surprised if he played w/ a chip on his shoulder, and God willing he'll get the nod next year. Our secondary will be even better w/ Hall/Los and Horton/Landry. Los, Horton and Landry will all continue to improve and Hall brings a lot to the table... bet we have more INTs in '09 than we've had since Champ/Smoot were our corners. Basically, with a decent upgrade @ DE and a solid replacement for Marcus our D is on track.

Offensively i just hope our new franchise tackle (fingers crossed) starts immediately and dominates. I hope Jansen fights his guts out on the interior and Thomas rebounds from a down year. I hope at least one of our young wide-outs develops into a bona fide starter by opening day. But mostly I hope Zorn/Campbell can put all the pieces together and make the offense fly.
I like what you are saying and would be stoked if we did 'em all draft o-lineman and linebacker, get rid of JT and MW and bring back Griffin (hopefully takes a paycut) and possibly bring in another DT (draft or FA). Keep D hall and Rogers.
Hamoskinz is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #152
Whiteboi_J
Camp Scrub

A lot of people are ignorant....Almost NO players takes a pay-cut without a promise of getting the money later on. Why should they take a pay cut when they are promised money?
Whiteboi_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #153
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboi_J View Post
A lot of people are ignorant....Almost NO players takes a pay-cut without a promise of getting the money later on. Why should they take a pay cut when they are promised money?
You're pretty much right. The only reason they'd do it is for fear of being cut from the team if they don't accept one, and simultaneously for fear of having trouble obtaining anywhere near the new amount on the open market.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #154
Schneed10
A Dude

Antwaan Randle El and Andre Carter have signed extensions. When contract details are made available the financials in this thread will be updated.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #155
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Antwaan Randle El and Andre Carter have signed extensions. When contract details are made available the financials in this thread will be updated.

I guess with 2010 likely to be uncapped it doesn't really matter.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #156
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I guess with 2010 likely to be uncapped it doesn't really matter.
Tell me more why everyone is saying that 2010 will be uncapped. Where are you getting that information? I've heard some scuttlebutt myself but nothing I would say, conclusive.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #157
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Tell me more why everyone is saying that 2010 will be uncapped. Where are you getting that information? I've heard some scuttlebutt myself but nothing I would say, conclusive.
The owners voted to opt out and void the current CBA last May, hence we are heading into the "last capped year" in 2009. There have been no significant discussions (at least no progress made) between the union and the owners since. All signs point to an end of the salary cap era. This thread has lots of info on it, including links to articles:

http://www.thewarpath.net/salary-cap...t-working.html

And here's an article documenting the owners' unanimous vote to opt out:

NFL Owners Vote to Opt Out of*CBA - Pride Of Detroit
Old 02-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #158
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
The owners voted to opt out and void the current CBA last May, hence we are heading into the "last capped year" in 2009. There have been no significant discussions (at least no progress made) between the union and the owners since. All signs point to an end of the salary cap era. This thread has lots of info on it, including links to articles:

http://www.thewarpath.net/salary-cap...t-working.html
Thanks Schneed!
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 AM   #159
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Just did a cap sheet update. Should be available on the site in the next couple days.

With all the new signings and the Carter /Randle-El extensions I have us at $624K over the cap.

- For the new guys, all the salaries are up to date. I don't have any bonus info for them yet but any bonuses for these guys would be negligible.

- Carter's salaries were updated. They weren't high to begin with so it doesn't really affect his future cap numbers. From what I can tell he converted his $2.5M 2009 roster bonus to signing bonus (5 year proration). This saves $2M against the 2009 cap. That plus a $500K reduction in 2009 salary reduces his 2009 cap number by $2.5M similar to the article posted in the other thread.

- Randle El's salaries were updated. They were a lot higher than Carter's to begin with so he took big salary decreases in 2009 and beyond. Based on the article it seems he converted $2.5M of his 2009 salary to signing bonus, for a net 2009 cap savings of $2M. I also suspect he converted his future salaries to roster bonuses in 2010 and beyond, similar to what Carter has. I don't have the bonus info yet so Randle El's future cap hits are likely higher than currently listed on my sheets.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #160
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Didn't really want to put this in a new thread (though maybe it should be)

Goodell to take pay cut amid NFL drive to cut costs - USATODAY.com
Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #161
SBXVII
Franchise Player

^ Leadership by example. LOL.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #162
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
Just did a cap sheet update. Should be available on the site in the next couple days.

With all the new signings and the Carter /Randle-El extensions I have us at $624K over the cap.

- For the new guys, all the salaries are up to date. I don't have any bonus info for them yet but any bonuses for these guys would be negligible.

- Carter's salaries were updated. They weren't high to begin with so it doesn't really affect his future cap numbers. From what I can tell he converted his $2.5M 2009 roster bonus to signing bonus (5 year proration). This saves $2M against the 2009 cap. That plus a $500K reduction in 2009 salary reduces his 2009 cap number by $2.5M similar to the article posted in the other thread.

- Randle El's salaries were updated. They were a lot higher than Carter's to begin with so he took big salary decreases in 2009 and beyond. Based on the article it seems he converted $2.5M of his 2009 salary to signing bonus, for a net 2009 cap savings of $2M. I also suspect he converted his future salaries to roster bonuses in 2010 and beyond, similar to what Carter has. I don't have the bonus info yet so Randle El's future cap hits are likely higher than currently listed on my sheets.
Thanks a million for the update... looks like smart moves on the part of the FO if we can get under the cap and thus not show our hand on cutting anyone yet.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #163
Hamoskinz
Special Teams

The FO looks busy today. Great news about the restructuring. We are lucky that next year is uncapped.
Hamoskinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #164
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamoskinz View Post
The FO looks busy today. Great news about the restructuring. We are lucky that next year is uncapped.
Likely to be uncapped. Important qualifier.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #165
MTK
\m/

The latest cap sheets are up.

Thanks CC

http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm