Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

34th Overall Pick

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
SirLK26
The Starter

34th Overall Pick

Now that we know where we'll be picking, who do you think the Redskins should take with their first selection? Should we go OL, WR, DB, DL, ILB, best player available at any position, or other? Personally, I see only one route to go: best non-LT OL available. We have a franchise QB, and we need to protect him; our current line does not do that. If a guy like Sammy Watkins, Jason Verett, or Trent Murphy falls to the second round, obviously we should take them. Otherwise, I think the smart route is OL.

Some names to consider, although some of these are projected as late first rounders or second rounders, so there's no telling how many will actually be available...

Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M

Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford

Zack Martin, OG, Notre Dame

David Yankey, OG, Stanford

Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri

Dion Bailey, S, Southern California

Lamarcus Joyner, CB, Florida State

Anthony Steen, OG, Alabama

Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
donofriose
The Starter

Re: 34th Overall Pick

Best value available, especially since the Skins can improve at almost every position
donofriose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

Best available within our needs, which are extensive. No reason we shouldn't be able to grab an impact player at the top of the 2nd rd.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by donofriose View Post
Best value available, especially since the Skins can improve at almost every position
Hahaha. Best value applies even more this year then most. Well said.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

ILB Shayne Skov, can't miss pick, just as good as Kiko Alonso or even better.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
ILB Shayne Skov, can't miss pick, just as good as Kiko Alonso or even better.
ILB is certainly a need, but I think OL is far more important. RG3 can't keep taking huge shots behind a crappy offensive line, and having a true line he could stand behind and scan the field for a reasonable amount of time would go a long way in improving his game. But I think that Skov is a sure thing, and if offensive linemen go heavy in the first round, then selecting Skov would be fine.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

The OL can be fixed with FA, we really need an ILB since fletcher retired. We can also draft an OL in the 3rd.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 12-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
The OL can be fixed with FA, we really need an ILB since fletcher retired. We can also draft an OL in the 3rd.
Also, is it just me or do you guys want to see us start taking our late-round OL from the "Linemen Farms" like Michigan/Iowa/Alabama? I think of LeRibeus and I think of Chad Rinehart from years ago and I really thought those were reaches (even though Rinehart is starting somewhere else I believe). Gettis was from Iowa and people keep saying he had shown a ton of promise.

Not saying all people drafted out of those schools are can't-miss prospects, but I feel like I see more of them working out than not. Not only that, I remember when Alex Mack came out he was considered the best center prospect to come out in years and he was taken like at the end of the first I believe? We should be able to get the second best, if not best, center with our second round pick. TONS of guard options also available which I thought was really our weak point. I say we adress RT in FA and suddenly the line is significantly improved.

Last edited by TheMalcolmConnection; 12-31-2013 at 12:05 PM.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Also, we keep forgetting about Phillip Thomas at safety. We barely got to see him and he was highly regarded coming out of college.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Skinsfanatic
The Starter

We need to take the BPA. Or, with the second pick in the second round, make a trade back to pick up picks in the inevitable scramble to the front of round 2.
Skinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I'm always a fan of BPA over drafting for need. And since we have so many needs there's probably a good chance that the BPA will fill a need for us anyways. The only spots where I don't see us needing an upgrade are qb and rb. Some would say TE but I feel like Jordan Reed is our only guaranteed player to return and with his concussion history I don't want to have to rely solely on him. Every other position needs help.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Also, is it just me or do you guys want to see us start taking our late-round OL from the "Linemen Farms" like Michigan/Iowa/Alabama? I think of LeRibeus and I think of Chad Rinehart from years ago and I really thought those were reaches (even though Rinehart is starting somewhere else I believe). Gettis was from Iowa and people keep saying he had shown a ton of promise.

Not saying all people drafted out of those schools are can't-miss prospects, but I feel like I see more of them working out than not. Not only that, I remember when Alex Mack came out he was considered the best center prospect to come out in years and he was taken like at the end of the first I believe? We should be able to get the second best, if not best, center with our second round pick. TONS of guard options also available which I thought was really our weak point. I say we adress RT in FA and suddenly the line is significantly improved.
J D Walton was picked up as a C, I would move him to G and target Mack in FA if Cleveland doesn't resign him.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 12-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I'm always a fan of BPA over drafting for need. And since we have so many needs there's probably a good chance that the BPA will fill a need for us anyways. The only spots where I don't see us needing an upgrade are qb and rb. Some would say TE but I feel like Jordan Reed is our only guaranteed player to return and with his concussion history I don't want to have to rely solely on him. Every other position needs help.
I agree, but the only thing I don't want us taking is a WR. It's just such a damn crap-shoot with them (and SO many don't work out) that I'd hate to take what's considered a great pick just to find out they bust. I'd rather go with a DT or OL just because most, not all, have less likelihood of busting.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I agree, but the only thing I don't want us taking is a WR. It's just such a damn crap-shoot with them (and SO many don't work out) that I'd hate to take what's considered a great pick just to find out they bust. I'd rather go with a DT or OL just because most, not all, have less likelihood of busting.
Yeah, I don't want us taking a WR with our first pick either. OL first, then either DL or ILB. WR can wait until the 4th round, where L'Daimian Washington will hopefully still be available.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Schneed10
A Dude

Firm believer that you build from the trenches out. Doesn't have to be with this pick, but I want to see a lot of dollars invested in the offensive and defensive lines this offseason.