rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:35 AM   #19
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: Browns pregame thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
Maybe bruised liver ...
Yep, various internal organs can be damaged in contact sports. Not all that common but...

https://meridian.allenpress.com/jat/...Organ-Injuries
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:14 AM   #20
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Two players who have been criticized a lot: Dwayne Haskins and Troy Apke. I think most of the criticism of each of them has been valid and fair. I also think that if you expect RR to move on from these two anytime soon you're going to be disappointed. Coach Rivera has made it clear that many of our current players have a lot of work to do to become the quality players he hopes they become. Prior to the start of this season he specifically named Haskins and Apke as the players who were hurt most in their development because there was no true training camp or any preseason games. Obviously, RR thinks these two men have the potential to be very good players and that they need to play to get to that point. So hang in there, fellow fans because RR is likely to be more patient with them than we are capable of being.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #21
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

How are the Browns 7 points favorite? Lil surprised.

With me, it’s the same all season: Oline and Haskins have to play decent for us to win.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #22
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Just watched Bengals @ Browns.

Stopping the run is going to be key, both Chubb and Hunt are legit fast and quite tough to bring down ! We'll have to display disciplined tackling.
Luckily enough our Dline plays the run well, Young has been making nice plays against the run.

Their pass rush is legit too.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #23
GridIron26
Playmaker

Seems like the public believe Browns defense will dominate WFT this Sunday. I have Buffalo defense in one of my FFL and I'm looking to pick up another defense just for this Sunday and apparently Browns is one of the top choices for this Sunday.. Really?? I just don't see it.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #24
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Two players who have been criticized a lot: Dwayne Haskins and Troy Apke. I think most of the criticism of each of them has been valid and fair. I also think that if you expect RR to move on from these two anytime soon you're going to be disappointed. Coach Rivera has made it clear that many of our current players have a lot of work to do to become the quality players he hopes they become. Prior to the start of this season he specifically named Haskins and Apke as the players who were hurt most in their development because there was no true training camp or any preseason games. Obviously, RR thinks these two men have the potential to be very good players and that they need to play to get to that point. So hang in there, fellow fans because RR is likely to be more patient with them than we are capable of being.
This is an excellent post. Most, if not all, of us would agree last year's coaching was overall garbage. Without preseason game tape, i believe that the coaches will use specific game tape from these 2 games and help both players understand better, hopefully they are both coachable.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #25
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
How are the Browns 7 points favorite? Lil surprised.
Their offense is so much better than ours. Getting Hooper for them was huge. Chubb/Hunt is a formidable 1-2 punch. They also upgraded their oline and Mayfield is focused. I'd be surprised if we cover the 7. Just don't think we have the horses to stay in this one.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #26
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
This is an excellent post. Most, if not all, of us would agree last year's coaching was overall garbage. Without preseason game tape, i believe that the coaches will use specific game tape from these 2 games and help both players understand better, hopefully they are both coachable.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
No insult intended to anyone, but I'm more inclined to trust the judgement of a coaching staff with hours of tape and 1:1 time over a fan with just broadcast game film as a guide.

I mean, he's not Gruden is he...
Old 09-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #27
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
You are on the money. Well said.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #28
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
He sure is. The not calling time outs at the end of the game last week was telling a lot about how long term his approach is. He's not freaking out about losing games this year.

Haskins has shown he's coachable and can make good throws, we know QB take time to transition to the NFL, and considering how awful a coaching situation he was in last year, he's basically a rookie IMO.

Apke is another story for me. I'm willing to trust RR all you want, but having bad vision, taking awful angles, and missing tackles are really killers for a FS... It's not like he's being flashy but making mental mistakes and forgetting his assignments. He's just playing out of position.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #29
SunnySide
Playmaker

30% 3rd down conversion rate -- we are dead last in the league. We need to improve on that to get into a rythme on offense.

Haskins - slants,/crosses/drags ... call passing plays where it is out in front of Haskins and he can see if the receiver won the route. Hes much more comfortable in up tempo when its quick hits like slants. of course, most of the time the D is playing soft bc we are playing catch up.

Gibson/McKissic - get them the ball in space. They are 4/9 on completions. We released Peterson and went with these guys bc Turner was supposed to work our guys out of the backfield.

TE Thomas - heard a Browns beat reporter say their LB corps is the defensive weak link. Hopefully Thomas is a big part of Sunday's gameplan.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #30
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
He sure is. The not calling time outs at the end of the game last week was telling a lot about how long term his approach is. He's not freaking out about losing games this year.

Haskins has shown he's coachable and can make good throws, we know QB take time to transition to the NFL, and considering how awful a coaching situation he was in last year, he's basically a rookie IMO.

Apke is another story for me. I'm willing to trust RR all you want, but having bad vision, taking awful angles, and missing tackles are really killers for a FS... It's not like he's being flashy but making mental mistakes and forgetting his assignments. He's just playing out of position.
Speaking from experience, a free safety can be coached up on angles and tackling, the real key is the football intelligence and ability to adjust to the offense, get in the right position and cover guys 1:1. No smarts and agility to do that and you're a goner regardless of your pursuit angles.

OTOH after years in college with a top school, he should be better on angles by now already. He was supposed to be a good tackler in college, so what happened when he came here? Just can't step up to the pro's?

I'm inclined to give him some rope like all of them, having had good coaches show faith and not having a preseason. But he has to improve week on week or Davis will likely be be in his slot by week 16.