Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How much have we improved player personnel?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #16
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: How much have we improved player personnel?

According to our roster Jerrell Powe is our sole NT on the roster we have a couple of other DT's that could fit the bill.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #17
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Taking an initial look at how the Washington Redskins' seven draft picks fit into the roster:

WR Josh Doctson: The Redskins already have two starting receivers in Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson, but there is no way they would have drafted Doctson without wanting to use him. So he will likely get plenty of snaps, especially in certain areas (red zone). He tracks the ball well downfield, so that will provide another option for quarterback Kirk Cousins, giving him two such players (Jackson). Likely starter in 2017.

LB/S Su'a Cravens: It’s hard to imagine he will start, but Cravens said the Redskins told him he would be their dime linebacker. But he can also play some safety. If nothing else he will be used in multiple roles and packages. He might not start, but will be a factor. My guess: He will end up being a fan favorite, too.

CB Kendall Fuller: Another hard one to project, because it’s a little crowded at cornerback. A lot depends on health: his own and that of starter Chris Culliver. If Culliver is healthy, the Redskins have three top cornerbacks, along with Bashaud Breeland and Josh Norman. But the unknown is when Culliver will be healthy -- it might not happen until after the season starts. Also, Fuller is coming off micro-fracture surgery. He should be ready for training camp, but getting to top-level play likely will take time. He’s as much a pick for the future as for the present. The good thing for the Redskins: They don’t need Fuller to contribute immediately.

DL Matt Ioannidis: The Redskins did not address the line like many thought they would (the team viewed it as a priority entering the draft). But Ioannidis should be part of the rotation. He’s not a run-plugging nose tackle, but more of an end in the base defense and a tackle in their nickel. The base defense needs work against the run, but so, too, does the nickel. He can help. Though the Redskins need more help along the line, it’s uncertain who will be in the top six. Trent Murphy's development at end will be big.

QB Nate Sudfeld: Developmental quarterback for a couple years down the road. The Redskins don’t need him now anyway with Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy ahead of him. McCoy is signed for three years (the last year is an option) and Cousins, if he plays well, will be the long-term starter. Coach Jay Gruden really likes Sudfeld, but he needs some work. But with who’s ahead of him, Sudfeld should get the time he needs. The Redskins had considered going with two quarterbacks this season, but it’s hard to imagine them doing that now.

LB Steven Daniels: The Redskins are crowded at linebacker, but there is no Pro Bowler there, either. They have Will Compton, Perry Riley Jr., Mason Foster, Martrell Spaight, Terence Garvin and Adam Hayward among others. It's not a flashy group, but it is a tough-minded one. It’s hard to imagine Hayward sticking around considering he’s coming off ACL injuries each of the past two seasons and now they have younger, cheaper alternatives for backups. Daniels is worth watching and could develop into a starter within a couple years, though there is competition just for a roster spot. Between he, Spaight and Garvin, the Redskins should be solid with special teams linebackers, and that’s vital.

RB Keith Marshall: The running back situation is a questionable one for Washington. They have two players coming off injuries (Matt Jones and Chris Thompson) and drafted a guy whose college career was derailed by a torn ACL. Marshall is healthy now, however, and the Redskins hope his electric speed will result in big plays. Analysts say he was not the same runner last season, his first full one since the ACL, as he was as a freshman. Perhaps another year removed from the injury will help. But it’s hard to know where he fits as of now; most likely it’s as a complementary back to Jones. He wasn’t much of a threat in the pass game and he only returned one kickoff in college (though it certainly is a possibility in Washington). The Redskins also have Mack Brown on the roster, and there is always a chance they will re-sign Pierre Thomas. They could use a strong veteran presence. For a seventh-round pick, Marshall is intriguing simply because of his 4.31 time in the 40-yard dash, but he will have to show more than speed -- patience and vision will be key. Because there is not a lot of depth here, he will have a chance to contribute.

Article from John Keim speaking on how these players fit.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Just trying to bring the conversation back to reality is all. We get a little armchair GM this time of year because we make a lot of assumptions like 'we currently stink at RB'. You sure about that? Will it be that way in September 2016, or will Matt Jones be The Man?

Miles to go before we sleep. That's all.
Reality is that we have no backup for Matt Jones. If he gets hurt, Thompson and a 7th round rookie won't be able to carry the load on 1st and 2nd down. I don't recall anyone saying we stink at RB; however, I said we're weaker without Alfmo and I'm pretty sure we are unless Thompson grew 4 inches and added 40 pounds in the offseason.

I'm not worried because I'm confident that Scot will do something to fortify the RB position, but right now we're weaker than we were in that area last season.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #19
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Reality is that we have no backup for Matt Jones. If he gets hurt, Thompson and a 7th round rookie won't be able to carry the load on 1st and 2nd down. I don't recall anyone saying we stink at RB; however, I said we're weaker without Alfmo and I'm pretty sure we are unless Thompson grew 4 inches and added 40 pounds in the offseason.

I'm not worried because I'm confident that Scot will do something to fortify the RB position, but right now we're weaker than we were in that area last season.
I don't agree, I think Alfred was awful last season. And the Cowboys aren't exactly counting on him for much - they just drafted Zeke, and that was after Jones said that McFadden would be their #1.

So they have AlfMo at #3 on their pecking order.

I don't think he's worth a hill of beans anymore, to be frank. I don't think we lost much. If we pick up Pierre Thomas we'll be just as good as we were last year at RB, and better if Matt Jones makes improvements.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #20
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I don't agree, I think Alfred was awful last season.
If Alfred was awful then what do you think of Matt Jones? He was worse in every category compared to Alfred.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RE: DL

I agree that we don't have "true" NT on the roster. But, Berry doesn't play a 2-gap 34 and therefore we don't need a 2 gapping NT. Last year Baker played a bunch of snaps at NT due to Knighton's migraines etc and he was good.

And according to the last presser from Scott, Matt Ioannidis will play some NT in base.

So the base package 34 could be: DE-Ricky, Paea and NT/DE-Baker, Ioannidis

Ricky--Baker-Paea..........and/or...........Ricky--Ioannidis-Baker etc..

Projecting some possible line-ups:

........................................FS-Hall, (Bruton, Duke)

.................................................. ................SS-Bruton,Duke,Su'a

....................................WILB--Riley-----SILB--Foster/Daniels

...............ROLB-Gallette......RE-Ricky......NT-Baker......LE-Paea....LOLB-Ryan Kerrigan

CB-Breeland.......................NB-Fuller........................................CB-Norman

Nickel/Sub package DL: DE-Junior-DT-Preston--DTBake/Ioaniddis--DE-Ryan

The pass D is much improved.

Rush:

Adding Junior Gallette in addition to the return of Paea and the addition of Ioannidis should at least match if not improve upon the pass rush from last year and the pass rush last year was imo the strength of the defense.

Coverage:

CBs-
Breeland + injured/underperforming Cully, journeyman guy Blackmon, thrown in rookies transitioning to the NFL Kysheon and Dunber....to: Breeland + Josh Norman and Kendall Fuller is a HUGE jump up in coverage

SAF-
Hall was decent in his first year at S and should only improve, imo Hall is made for FS
Moving on from Dash to Bruton/Duke/Su'a should be a clear upgrade

Last edited by 30gut; 05-02-2016 at 06:10 PM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #21
30gut
Playmaker

Football Outsiders rated last years D:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2015 DEFENSE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

20th overall
22nd run defense
19th pass defense

2015 NFL Team Passing Stats - National Football League - ESPN
Passer rating against: 96.1 --22nd

Yards per rush attempt: 4.8 --31st

Run-
I think the improvement of the run defense in large depends on who wins the open SS and ILB spots. I don't think we lost or gained much run D through the DL and I think the SS spot will be improved through subtraction of Dash and the addition of Bruton/Duke/Su'a. But at ILB who knows? Riley was part of the problem maybe some due to injury and Foster once he entered the line-up was the most stout against the run. A healthy Riley w/ Foster would be an improvement over last year. But, if Daniels gets into either ILB spot that's a huge bump for the run D imo.

Pass-
I would be disappointed if we don't at least hold opposing QBs 90 or below (which is about 15th); I think we honestly have the potential to be top 10 in passer rating against, which for me is barometer of good quick pass defense.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:31 AM   #22
That Guy
Living Legend

be careful about judging our team on wins and losses, last year we had basically the world's easiest schedule. if we go 9-7 again this year, it would actually be a dramatic improvement.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #23
Kope
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
be careful about judging our team on wins and losses, last year we had basically the world's easiest schedule. if we go 9-7 again this year, it would actually be a dramatic improvement.
absolutely agree. we can easily go 7-9 and be a much better team. That would happen by playing the tough, playoff proven teams much tighter.
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #24
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

pffftttt...I'm no settler.
I want at least 11 wins this year.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #25
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
If Alfred was awful then what do you think of Matt Jones? He was worse in every category compared to Alfred.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you include the receiving statistics in there? Because I recall Jones breaking a few big screen passes for fairly long gains. Never see Alfred do that.

Both were rough, though. Mainly because of poor blocking. Jones had much more of a fumbling concern, but he's much much faster than Morris.

We need improved blocking up front to really make the run game go. Reality is, if the blocking was better then either Jones or Morris would be adequate. Jones's speed though gives you the possibility of a big gainer.

And he's only a rookie, so figures to have a shot to improve. We know what Morris is. Fights very, very hard for yards but very little explosion. And a ton of tread on the tires.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #26
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Alfred Morris may very well end up back with us, I doubt the Cowpukes will keep both him and DMC now that they have Elliot.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #27
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I'm in favor of re-signing Pierre Thomas. I thought he did a good job for us last season. But, even then, I would still think need more help at RB. A trade for a stout veteran RB to help Matt carry the load on 1st and 2nd down and perhaps goal line would be fine with me.

I can't complain about our draft but I really had hoped that we would pick up either Kenneth Dixon or Daniel Lasco to supplement our RB group.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #28
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I think in the end, we're not going to be a great running team anyway. This is and should be a passing offense 1st. When was the last time the Patriots had a true stud at tailback? Maybe Corey Dillon? They always seem to get journeymen and plug them in. That's really what we should be doing too.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #29
MTK
\m/

I'm looking forward to seeing Matt Jones in year 2. He has some issues to clean up but he seems like the type of kid who gets it and works hard to improve.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #30
Schneed10
A Dude

Agree with you, Matty. In general, I'm very excited to see what all of last year's rookie class looks like in year 2. It's natural to imagine the impact of the incoming rookies, but the biggest jump occurs in the player's second year.

Scherff. Like a snowplow. Can't wait to see what he looks like in 2016.