Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How much have we improved player personnel?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #31
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: How much have we improved player personnel?

Running Back situation very easily could be the TE situation of last year.

Hopefully Matt Jones can explode like Reed....and stay healthy.

One thing Alfmo brought was durability, that can be big in the RB game

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #32
hutch17
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Football Outsiders rated last years D:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2015 DEFENSE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

20th overall
22nd run defense
19th pass defense

2015 NFL Team Passing Stats - National Football League - ESPN
Passer rating against: 96.1 --22nd

Yards per rush attempt: 4.8 --31st

Run-
I think the improvement of the run defense in large depends on who wins the open SS and ILB spots. I don't think we lost or gained much run D through the DL and I think the SS spot will be improved through subtraction of Dash and the addition of Bruton/Duke/Su'a. But at ILB who knows? Riley was part of the problem maybe some due to injury and Foster once he entered the line-up was the most stout against the run. A healthy Riley w/ Foster would be an improvement over last year. But, if Daniels gets into either ILB spot that's a huge bump for the run D imo.

Pass-
I would be disappointed if we don't at least hold opposing QBs 90 or below (which is about 15th); I think we honestly have the potential to be top 10 in passer rating against, which for me is barometer of good quick pass defense.

I see zero chance that Will Compton is not the starting Mike ILB, the other one will be either Riley (who I could see as a cap casualty, due to Steven daniels) and Foster.
hutch17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #33
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
RB Keith Marshall: The running back situation is a questionable one for Washington. They have two players coming off injuries (Matt Jones and Chris Thompson) and drafted a guy whose college career was derailed by a torn ACL. Marshall is healthy now, however, and the Redskins hope his electric speed will result in big plays. Analysts say he was not the same runner last season, his first full one since the ACL, as he was as a freshman. Perhaps another year removed from the injury will help. But it’s hard to know where he fits as of now; most likely it’s as a complementary back to Jones. He wasn’t much of a threat in the pass game and he only returned one kickoff in college (though it certainly is a possibility in Washington). The Redskins also have Mack Brown on the roster, and there is always a chance they will re-sign Pierre Thomas. They could use a strong veteran presence. For a seventh-round pick, Marshall is intriguing simply because of his 4.31 time in the 40-yard dash, but he will have to show more than speed -- patience and vision will be key. Because there is not a lot of depth here, he will have a chance to contribute.
Article from John Keim speaking on how these players fit.
One thing is healthy and running a 4.31 40 yard dash in a straight line.
Completely different having the confidence in his knee to where he can cut and take hits and play like he never had an injury before. In looking at his game highlights after the injury, you clearly see he is favoring his knee and looked/played scared. Of course another year to strengthen and rehab more is a big plus. But even last year, second year after his injury, he did not look right. I hope he is ready to go. We need him 100%.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #34
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
One thing is healthy and running a 4.31 40 yard dash in a straight line.
Completely different having the confidence in his knee to where he can cut and take hits and play like he never had an injury before. In looking at his game highlights after the injury, you clearly see he is favoring his knee and looked/played scared. Of course another year to strengthen and rehab more is a big plus. But even last year, second year after his injury, he did not look right. I hope he is ready to go. We need him 100%.
yup, just an example of how these injuries aren't just physical but can be psychological. He needs to really work his body into shape and maybe see a sports psychologist about confidence and not playing scared.

He Gets Us
Old 05-03-2016, 01:50 PM   #35
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
...Both were rough, though. Mainly because of poor blocking....

We need improved blocking up front to really make the run game go. Reality is, if the blocking was better then either Jones or Morris would be adequate. Jones's speed though gives you the possibility of a big gainer.

And he's only a rookie, so figures to have a shot to improve...
You got me there, outside of receiving Morris was better at everything then Jones. And of course I agree that Jones has a chance to improve.

I don't think blocking is the issue with the run game though. I think the issue is scheme and commitment. Jay's focus is on the passing game and there is a trickle down effect that impacts the run game. I am not saying there is anything inherently wrong with being pass focused. I don't care about style run/pass doesn't matter to me. Be efficient and score points. I think barring landing an elite RB the run game here will always just be meh.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #36
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
You got me there, outside of receiving Morris was better at everything then Jones. And of course I agree that Jones has a chance to improve.

I don't think blocking is the issue with the run game though. I think the issue is scheme and commitment. Jay's focus is on the passing game and there is a trickle down effect that impacts the run game. I am not saying there is anything inherently wrong with being pass focused. I don't care about style run/pass doesn't matter to me. Be efficient and score points. I think barring landing an elite RB the run game here will always just be meh.
If I remember correctly, our running game was outstanding early last season until injuries decimated the offensive line. So I'm not sure that it is impossible to have a good/great running game under Jay, but the line has to be there...

And we have the right offensive line coach to make all that happen. I'm also thinking (hoping) that the cap room we just created might help us acquire a quality veteran running back. We'll see...
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #37
That Guy
Living Legend

marshall is a track star in pads. his instincts aren't good. his speed is crazy, but there's a reason he was around in the 7th, he's got a lot of work to do on his vision/mental game to be a really effective RB. he will help on teams though.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #38
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:

Early in the season, if you look at the play calling when the game was within 10 points with reasonable time left, I don't believe the stats will support your theory.

Of course the team was pass happy when trailing watching the clock wind to zero.

I think toward the end of the year when the passing game was the only thing clicking, it seemed like the team was too committed to calling run plays on 1st down.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #39
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

debth wise I'd say its the best redskins team we've had in years, maybe 20 years
Old 05-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #40
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I try to not get too carried away by my fan side but I think we have a special draft class this time. Every single one of these draftees has traits that the coaches can build on to produce a solid contributor. I'm very excited about this class.

The only big risk was drafting Kendall Fuller but, if he can recover fully from his injury, he'll put this draft class through the roof, IMHO.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #41
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
debth wise I'd say its the best redskins team we've had in years, maybe 20 years
As long as we can remain healthy and guys can return from injury, we are actually log jammed at ILB, WR and have now actually 5 TEs who are roster worthy.

I wonder if there is an option to move a guy for a pick or potential need position like RB or DL in the preseason? I wouldn't think its out of the question.

He Gets Us
Old 05-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #42
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Notable NFL Players on the Offseason Roster Bubble | Spotrac Research

Great article here on possible pending free agents as cuts. And you know who I would get a boner for if he decided to play one more year...

Marshawn Lynch SEA $11,500,000 Traded/Cut Pre 6/1: $5M in 2016 dead cap ($6.5M savings)
Traded/Cut Post 6/1: $2.5M in 2016 dead cap ($9M savings), $2.5M in 2017 dead cap Lynch still hasn't officially signed his retirement papers, but the Seahawks are reportedly ready to place him on the reserve/retired list in the next few weeks. They'll clear $6.5M in cap by doing so.

Folks, I like P Thomas but there could be better options...Kniles Davis or Sproles? Im def interested more in them over Pierre.

He Gets Us
Old 05-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #43
Evilgrin
The Starter

dont forget about martrell spaight!

Redskins #2 In Revenue Per Year!
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #44
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Folks, I like P Thomas but there could be better options...Kniles Davis or Sproles? Im def interested more in them over Pierre.
Darren Sproles could help us as a 3rd down back and punt returner. A one or two year contract would be fine. We really need to find a decent PR as this is an area where we suck.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #45
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Darren Sproles could help us as a 3rd down back and punt returner. A one or two year contract would be fine. We really need to find a decent PR as this is an area where we suck.
well crowder was supposed to do it, marshall can try it... his vision isn't ideal though.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote