Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

University of Miami Football Program

Other Sports

Old 08-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

University of Miami Football Program

Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players - Investigations - Yahoo! Sports

A must read...a ton of current players involved. This could be very bad for the U.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: University of Miami Football Program

This isn't the first story of its' kind to come out, and it won't be the last. As more and more of these stories come out, it becomes harder to believe that this isn't as widespread as we are being led to believe. I'm sure once the story is corroborated, as it shouldn't be that hard considering all the evidence Yahoo Sports stacked up, the penalties on Miami will be harsh, as they should be considering coaches were involved and knew about this. I'm firmly starting to believe the NCAA needs to overhaul it's rule book though, because you can't keep singling out teams for this if it is indeed widespread. I love Virginia Tech but I'd be crazy to think it's not possible or not happening there.

The NCAA really needs to overhaul the way it thinks and operates, because it's becoming painfully obvious this kind of activity is an everyday occurence. It's not on the level of steroids in baseball, but the longer the NCAA ignores the bigger the consequences will be.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
GMScud
Swearinger

Wow. Given the smackdown that Ohio State and USC have recently been handed by the NCAA, you gotta think a big ass hammer is getting ready to drop on The U. I can't stand that school or their fans, so I could care less.

I agree with Mooby, though. The NCAA has a HUGE problem with this, and they need to make some sort of sweeping changes. These issues are epidemic now. It's funny- it's all about $$ for the NCAA, but when individual players do things like sell game-worn jerseys for $$, they and their schools get in trouble. But the NCAA will turn around and sell that player's jersey and keep the proceeds.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
GMScud
Swearinger

I also see in the article that that scumbag Shapiro would put bounties on players, including Tim Tebow. How'd that work out for you, Nevin? Tebow ran through The U in his only meeting against them....

That article is really staggering. The extent and audacity of some of that stuff is nuts. And it looks like members of the coaching staffs of both the basketball and football teams were in on it. Oh man.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:12 AM   #5
That Guy
Living Legend

everyone kinda knew this stuff goes on, but wow, that's a lot of detail.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:22 AM   #6
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players - Investigations - Yahoo! Sports

A must read...a ton of current players involved. This could be very bad for the U.
For people to lazy to sort out the story heres the list of current Redskin players suspected to be involved.

Rocky McIntosh, Sean Taylor....um yeah list ends there. Whoopee.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
everyone kinda knew this stuff goes on, but wow, that's a lot of detail.
Thats the intrigue. The level of detail along with pictures, documents & witnesses saying yeah they were there...pretty good evidence. I say this goes beyond a trading tatoos for an autograph or getting a car rented for a player. These kids were being treated to fantasy island

He Gets Us
Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
GMScud
Swearinger

Crazy that the AD of Miami is Paul Dee, the head of the NCAA Infractions Committee. Wow. I mean that's congressional level hypocrisy right there.

Pundits on the radio are saying that this could be SMU death penalty type stuff for their football program.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

This booster guy looked like he graduated from Douchebag U as well. What a slimeball, running a ponzi scheme cheating people outta cash and then using that money to cheat kids, college football and fans. Good lord, this guy needs a national honor for the highest level POS. I mean Miami deserves a ton of blame, but this guy is a real piece of work, he was seriously gettin off doing this stuff.

He Gets Us
Old 08-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Whats funny to me is early in the 2000's Miami was awesome but since joining the ACC they really havent done much at all. It looks all this scandal stuff only really gave them them 1 maybe 2 years, coming after their BCS championship. So if Tech is doing it at least their doing it effectively.

The NCAA does need to do something though. The bcs system, these type of scandals, making tons money on kids and everything else is enough to turn a lot of people off. Im wondering if the NFL is gonna throw then NCAA a bone and not let Pyror enter the supp draft just because its one more headline that when combined with everything else just looks bad on the ncaa. Having alumnus Rosenthal as your agent cant help either.

Maybe SkinsCain has some insight?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
This booster guy looked like he graduated from Douchebag U as well. What a slimeball, running a ponzi scheme cheating people outta cash and then using that money to cheat kids, college football and fans. Good lord, this guy needs a national honor for the highest level POS. I mean Miami deserves a ton of blame, but this guy is a real piece of work, he was seriously gettin off doing this stuff.

Complete piece of shit
Old 08-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Damn, some of these bounties are really going to cause some extra problems for the U.
Miami scandal has deep and massive ties to current NFL players - Shutdown Corner - NFL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

I mean I know it's against the rules for the players to be treated to dinners and parties and use of a private boat, but I have to imagine the the NCAA is really going to come down extra hard if it can prove that they got $500 for an excessive celebration penalty or $1,000 bucks for a personal foul.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Damn, some of these bounties are really going to cause some extra problems for the U.
Miami scandal has deep and massive ties to current NFL players - Shutdown Corner - NFL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

I mean I know it's against the rules for the players to be treated to dinners and parties and use of a private boat, but I have to imagine the the NCAA is really going to come down extra hard if it can prove that they got $500 for an excessive celebration penalty or $1,000 bucks for a personal foul.
man i wouldnt be surprised if that hold over tradition from the Jimmy Johnson era...but yeah you sure as hell cant be paying players for that....tell ya a ton of big names in the NFL associated with this story.

He Gets Us
Old 08-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #14
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
man i wouldnt be surprised if that hold over tradition from the Jimmy Johnson era...but yeah you sure as hell cant be paying players for that....tell ya a ton of big names in the NFL associated with this story.
I was suprised to see names like Jon Beason on the list. I always thought he was a good kid. I can give a pass for things like taking advantage of the dude's money, going to the club on his dime, etc. But playing harder to get a bounty on opposing players is unforgivable. And I say that knowing full well that Sean Taylor took advantage of it too.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

There F*cked. Plan and simple. SMU had less allegations than them, and less people that they dealt with. Rocky McIntosh, Sean Taylor, maybe Santana, maybe Clinton had to do with some of his dealings. Now I think they'll get the same thing USC got, but a little more worse, but not as bad as what SMU got, because, the NCAA realized how lopsided it was that they messed with SMU's program for a long, long time, and quiet frankly SMU still hasn't recovered from that death penalty.