Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Respect

Debating with the enemy

Old 01-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #16
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Respect

President Obama was this generation's Carter. Which is to say he was the country's social conscience leader. He wore our hearts on his sleeve of course it cost us our arm and leg in debt and strife.

I understand, though, that every president struggles with balancing life's tradeoffs on a national level, and he has to do it in what he sees as right, simply because only he has to put his name on every bill that becomes law.

So that's why I think every man who has held that deserves respect simply based on that fact alone.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #17
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Didn't like Obama? If you're intellectually honest, how can you dispute these facts:

- inherited unemployment rate of 7.9%, left it at 4.9%
- reduced the deficit
- inflation stayed under 2.0%
- oversaw the lowest mortgage rates of all time
- longest consecutive period of GDP growth in history, albeit more tempered than typical

I have HUGE problems with his approach to foreign policy. I think Iran, Russia, and Syria are pretty much doing whatever they want. But it's the economy, stupid. The most important issue by far for most American voters and it's really hard to complain given the shit show Bush handed to him.

Keep in mind if you don't argue using facts and figures I will fuck you up. I insist on objectivity or you will come out looking like an ass.
Schneed,
I am surprised that you weight economic factors so heavily. I know the president influences the economy and gets judged on the economy by pundits, but I am positive you would agree that no president single-handedly controls the economic cycle. The legislature and fed have far more sway over it at any given time.

I will put the caveat that the president does hold sway when it comes to global markets vs protectionist capitalism and Obama certainly was always working for greater global market access and as tradeoffs go global economic health does impact the longer lasting slower growth model we have seen in effect.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #18
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I thought you didn't do drugs?

I found this from the past and could not help wondering if we will ever have two respectable people like this run for office again. We haven't seen class like this from any of our politicians in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrqoSyKsAPw
Old 10-31-2019, 04:14 PM   #19
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

He just nailed it, well said by the former President:

Former President Barack Obama made a rare foray into the cultural conversation this week, objecting to the prevalence of “call-out culture” and “wokeness” during an interview about youth activism at the Obama Foundation summit on Tuesday.

For more than an hour, Mr. Obama sat onstage with the actress Yara Shahidi and several other young leaders from around the world. The conversation touched on “leadership, grass roots change and the power places have to shape our journeys,” the Obama Foundation said, but it was his remarks about young activists that have ricocheted around the internet, mostly receiving praise from a cohort of bipartisan and intergenerational supporters.

“This idea of purity and you’re never compromised and you’re always politically ‘woke’ and all that stuff,” Mr. Obama said. “You should get over that quickly.”
“The world is messy; there are ambiguities,” he continued. “People who do really good stuff have flaws. People who you are fighting may love their kids, and share certain things with you.”

Mr. Obama spoke repeatedly of the role of social media in activism specifically, including the idea of what’s become known as “cancel culture,” which is much remarked upon, but still nebulously defined. It tends to refer to behavior that mostly plays out on the internet when someone has said or done something to which others object. That person is then condemned in a flurry of social media posts. Such people are often referred to as “canceled,” a way of saying that many others (and perhaps the places at which they work) are fed up with them and will have no more to do with them.

[What’s cancel culture really like? Ask a teenager. They know.]

Mr. Obama talked about conversations he’s had with his daughter Malia, who is a student at Harvard with Ms. Shahidi.

“I do get a sense sometimes now among certain young people, and this is accelerated by social media, there is this sense sometimes of: ‘The way of me making change is to be as judgmental as possible about other people,’” he said, “and that’s enough.”

“Like, if I tweet or hashtag about how you didn’t do something right or used the wrong verb,” he said, “then I can sit back and feel pretty good about myself, cause, ‘Man, you see how woke I was, I called you out.’”

Then he pretended to sit back and press the remote to turn on a television.

“That’s not activism. That’s not bringing about change,” he said. “If all you’re doing is casting stones, you’re probably not going to get that far. That’s easy to do.”

The audience erupted in applause, which was echoed by conservative pundits like Ann Coulter.

“Good for Obama,” Ms. Coulter tweeted on Wednesday night, adding a parenthetical: “Not sarcastic!”

Tomi Lahren, a conservative political commentator, said on “Fox & Friends” on Wednesday that Mr. Obama’s comments made him look like “the voice of reason” and that “that’s when you know the Democratic Party has gotten this bad.”

“What’s really nice to hear is Barack Obama standing up for our rights and our values of the First Amendment,” Ms. Lahren said. “Just remember that we used to think Barack Obama was bad.”

Tulsi Gabbard, a Democratic presidential candidate and a congresswoman from Mr. Obama’s home state of Hawaii, seized on his words as a campaign message for her supporters.

“In a nutshell, Obama is saying we all need a little more aloha spirit,” she tweeted. “Being respectful & caring for one another. Not being so quick to judge. Not seeing everything as black/white. I hope you’ll join me in bringing the spirit of aloha to the White House.”

Another Democratic presidential candidate, Andrew Yang, also championed the message on Twitter.

“He is right on all counts,” Mr. Yang said.

He sums it up perfectly. The sad thing is, its not just the younger generation but adults and in the media case, the entire industry.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:41 PM   #20
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

+1

Good job highlighting the bolded parts Chico, I think he really nailed it.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote