North Korea: Threat or Blackmailer?

Debating with the enemy

Old 03-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #46
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: North Korea: Threat or Blackmailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
My big problem with them is trading nuclear arms with terrorists groups.
It shouldn't be a fear. Nuclear material can be traced to its origin, so anything nuclear passed on to a terrorist would be traced back to NK in the event something were to happen. At that point, NK (or any other country) would be treated exactly the same as if they had launched the weapon themselves.

Take for instance, Pakistan. They are known supporters of terrorists, and hold nuclear weapons. Not a single solitary nuclear device or materials has ever been passed on. They know their existence would end if it did.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 03-08-2013 at 03:33 PM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #47
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

North Korea says 'prepare for war' following fresh UN sanctions - Telegraph

I love North Korean propaganda videos. Hilarious.

NK is thumping its chest wanting attention like a spoiled brat. It most likely wants more "funding" from us to feed their starving people, even though they'd rather use that money for weaponry. I would dare those assholes to do something. China is fed up with them, as is the rest of the world. WE SEE YOU, NOW SIT THE **** DOWN AND SHUT UP. THANKS!
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 03-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #48
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
It shouldn't be a fear. Nuclear material can be traced to its origin, so anything nuclear passed on to a terrorist would be traced back to NK in the event something were to happen. At that point, NK (or any other country) would be treated exactly the same as if they had launched the weapon themselves.

Take for instance, Pakistan. They are known supporters of terrorists, and hold nuclear weapons. Not a single solitary nuclear device or materials has ever been passed on. They know their existence would end if it did.
Didnt know it could be traced, thats very interesting. I just dont think they would be the ones to fire the weapon, more likely to pass it off to another to use agaisnt us.

I think China would go absolutely ape-shit, they wouldnt want a US backed country up against their border. NK would cease to exist after they launch a nuclear missle.

It would be WW3, Europe, US, SK, Aust, Japan, would probably engage fairly quickly. China's hands would be tied, no way could they defend a pre emptive launch of a nuclear weapon.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #49
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Didnt know it could be traced, thats very interesting. I just dont think they would be the ones to fire the weapon, more likely to pass it off to another to use agaisnt us.

I think China would go absolutely ape-shit, they wouldnt want a US backed country up against their border. NK would cease to exist after they launch a nuclear missle.

It would be WW3, Europe, US, SK, Aust, Japan, would probably engage fairly quickly. China's hands would be tied, no way could they defend a pre emptive launch of a nuclear weapon.
I don't think it's as simple as them having some barometer showing "This is X's enriched uranium", but I positive they would be able to break down the composition and tell which reactor (and make) it came from, thereby narrowing down the possibilities.

Nuclear bomb debris holds clues to who planted it - science-in-society - 08 November 2010 - New Scientist

As far as NK goes, I wouldn't put it past China to invade NK before we could just so that scenario you mention didn't happen.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #50
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
I don't think it's as simple as them having some barometer showing "This is X's enriched uranium", but I positive they would be able to break down the composition and tell which reactor (and make) it came from, thereby narrowing down the possibilities.

Nuclear bomb debris holds clues to who planted it - science-in-society - 08 November 2010 - New Scientist

As far as NK goes, I wouldn't put it past China to invade NK before we could just so that scenario you mention didn't happen.
Sounds more like you would have to make an educated guess at best. We could let Collen Powell present the evidence to the UN. I hear he is pretty good at that. You say don't fear it getting into the wrong hands but that's our goverments biggest fear and why we care who has the capability.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #51
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

I agree with you on this. Generically, sometimes it seems like people think nuclear weapon grade material is something that you just get and then bing bang boom you have a bomb. It's not really that simple. Further, even if a terrorist group were to get hold of something usable, getting it anywhere that it would be effective is nearly impossible as well.

All that said, comparing Pakistan's situation with NK, is not a good comparison. Although Pakistan does give aid and comfort to terrorists at some level, they are not a pariah in the international community, and their nuclear level is directly in response to India's equivalent threat. Pakistan needs to be seen as a good nuclear player, for fear of international backlash that would empower India. NK, on the other hand, is a dictatorial regime, and absolutely despises the West, and international rules.

One last difference is that from a perspective of haves and have nots, Pakistan is in the company of the haves on nuclear weapons which entitles them to more leeway, NK is a have not, and there is a belligerence towards all haves that comes from that.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #52
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Sounds more like you would have to make an educated guess at best. We could let Collen Powell present the evidence to the UN. I hear he is pretty good at that. You say don't fear it getting into the wrong hands but that's our goverments biggest fear and why we care who has the capability.
To go with NC_Skins on this, the government has a vested interest in keeping people afraid of terrorists. It allows them to act in ways that a non-fearful population would never allow. Between that fact, the media playing up singular fear inducing events, and Hollywood creating impossible situations to make an exciting plotline, I doubt the US population at large has any clue of what is and isn't possible. A terrorist cell doesn't get to test out their stuff, they aren't doing underground testing. They need something quick and dirty, and hope that no intelligence agency gets a whiff of it.

A side note: Do you know why the USSR and USA built enough weapons to destroy the world multiple of multiple times over? (anecdotal answer, not something stated as fact, but someone I know who would have reason to know at the time implied it - (this is my best a friend of a friend who knows a friend who worked in a lab answer):

The simple answer is because we didn't know with confidence that the actual weapons would work. We knew that all the moving parts worked per se, but the actual weapons, not as confident. The reason reduction treaties started being agreed to is that our confidence in the capability was maturing.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #53
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

This is a great look at the demilitarized zone closeup:

North And South Korea DMZ - Business Insider
Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #54
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
This is a great look at the demilitarized zone closeup:

North And South Korea DMZ - Business Insider
That was a great read.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #55
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Analysis: Bellicose North Korea forces China to shift stance on old friend - Yahoo! News

This article has some interesting inside Chinese political views.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #56
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

So now the North Korean army says the armistice is invalid.
Really doesnt mean much unless you start shooting.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #57
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

My girlfriend is Korean. I find it interested that her family and in general, Koreans in general, seem to be ignoring all of this news. They just figure it's the North being the North. They see it as nothing but empty threats. Very itneresting.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #58
HailGreen28
Playmaker

South Korea Flirts With Nuclear Ideas as North Blusters

NY Times.com: By MARTIN FACKLER and CHOE SANG-HUN

"SEOUL, South Korea — As their country prospered, South Koreans have largely shrugged off the constant threat of a North Korean attack. But breakthroughs in the North’s missile and nuclear programs and fiery threats of war have heightened fears in the South that even small miscalculations by the new and untested leaders of each country could have disastrous consequences."
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #59
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

South Korea government: Malicious code in NongHyup bank system came from Chinese IP - @YonhapNews http://t.co/UAQNSMbr7r

it just keeps going round and round
Old 03-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #60
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
My girlfriend is Korean. I find it interested that her family and in general, Koreans in general, seem to be ignoring all of this news. They just figure it's the North being the North. They see it as nothing but empty threats. Very itneresting.
Now we know why you kick puppies.