Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Skins getting heat again over name issue

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the pending Redskins name change?
It’s time, the name is offensive 4 9.52%
I’m tired of hearing about it so change it 17 40.48%
Keep the name at all costs 16 38.10%
No strong opinion either way 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #16
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Skins getting heat again over name issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
How about Cherokees? About a thousand or so live a couple hundred miles down the road from DC.
Works for me. I am 100% fine with any tribe name. And it would be even more cool if they have history in the surrounding area.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-04-2020, 07:26 PM   #17
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I don't want to have the same team name as another major sports team. If anything, find a Native American tribe that would like for or support the team using it, and use that name.
Rather go with warriors than Sioux or Navajo's....
Old 06-05-2020, 11:52 AM   #18
Meks
Pro Bowl

plain and simple, fuck off
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #19
MTK
\m/

Using a specific tribe name is not going to make the issue go away. Once the name Redskins falls other names like Chiefs, Indians, etc won't be far behind.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #20
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Using a specific tribe name is not going to make the issue go away. Once the name Redskins falls other names like Chiefs, Indians, etc won't be far behind.
You would need to get the tribes approval. Like the Seminole tribe is in agreement with FSU using the name. Not sure how an actual tribe name can be offensive to anyone, especially if they approved it. I mean are we actually trying to erase the memory of Native Americans?
Old 06-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #21
MTK
\m/

Quote:
You would need to get the tribes approval. Like the Seminole tribe is in agreement with FSU using the name. Not sure how an actual tribe name can be offensive to anyone, especially if they approved it. I mean are we actually trying to erase the memory of Native Americans?
Using the name or likeness of an indigenous person as a team mascot/name is what it boils down to for those on that side of the argument. It's not simply the word Redskins they have a problem with.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:08 PM   #22
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
I mean are we actually trying to erase the memory of Native Americans?
Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #23
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Using the name or likeness of an indigenous person as a team mascot/name is what it boils down to for those on that side of the argument. It's not simply the word Redskins they have a problem with.
Well those people are absurd. That's fucking stupid. They would be offended if the team had approval from a tribe to use the name? Hell, the tribe can even pick the logo. Doesn't have to be an image of a human.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:26 PM   #24
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Chiefs will probably stay along with Indians because those aren't deemed "racist" Redskins was apparently a term the White men used to identify natives as... For the record every native friend I have from Oklahoma likes the skins also.. But whatever, change the name fuck it
Old 06-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #25
rocnrik
Playmaker

Change it .. hell then I can close this chapter in my life .. once they change the name the identity of the team is gone .. so will the years of loyal fans .lets call them the Washington pc ‘s , the people that are offended by the name most likely don’t watch football .. it’s all political agenda crap ..I’m offended by a lot of crap mostly I’m offended by the people who are offended ! I’m offended that the nfl has a team in Chicago that the black murder rate is through the roof and they put that team on prime time ! If the nfl wants to get into politics then get into it !!! Tell the Chicago mayor either stop this genocide in your city or the Nfl will do away with your team ..I guess aethist will find the saints name offensive 😳.. and what about the browns ( is that really about the last name) hmmmm... did the cowboys not slaughter indians way back .. the native Americans should really have issues with that ..yea I know the redskins is a horrible horrible name .. how the hell could I have been so blind ...so all these years I’ve been a racist and did not know it ..I guess we all are for even pulling for team .. who can I sue for selling me stuff all these years with a rascist logo name on it ? Let’s face it .. the name is going to change .. sooner than later.
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #26
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgold View Post
Ok,here we go again,first off Native Americans did refer to themselves as Redskins or Redmen as far back as the-1700's just as I and all Black persons once called ourselves-Negro which is the Spanish word for Black..it is the bastardization of the name that's insulting,now when the racist owner of the team[George Preston Marshall]moved the team here he kept the name for two reasons-he could in those days,he could care less.We have to remember that here was a man who refused to have an African American on his team until Morris Udall[Secretary Of The Interior]threatened to not let him use D.C.Stadium until he have a Black player..I'm getting long winded here but as a Black man if the team was called-The Washington Negroes-it wouldn't fly too well today,and Redskins shouldn't either!
The problem with modern-day black Americans is that you constantly compare the inhumane treatment of your ancestors to the struggles of other non-white groups. Newsflash, Native Americans didn't experience 300 years of slavery. In fact, many of them were actually slave owners. Not only that but many Native Americans fought for the South in the Civil War. Jim Crow laws weren't created for Native Americans, Latinos, Indians, Asians, or Middle Eastern people. They were created for black people. So please stop with all of these nonsensical comparisons with non-white people as if they in any way share in the struggles of black people. The term Redskin is not known to be a racial slur, nor do the fans of this team see it as a racial slur. The team name is not meant to be offensive or disrespectful to native Americans. If a small minority takes it as being offensive it's because they want to be offended. If that is the case they are free not to support the team. It's their right to protest the name if they so wish. As a black man, I believe the team name is 100% acceptable and should never be changed. And it definitely shouldn't be changed because of a bunch of SJWs are whining about it.
httr198020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #27
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
The problem with modern-day black Americans is that you constantly compare the inhumane treatment of your ancestors to the struggles of other non-white groups. Newsflash, Native Americans didn't experience 300 years of slavery. In fact, many of them were actually slave owners. Not only that but many Native Americans fought for the South in the Civil War. Jim Crow laws weren't created for Native Americans, Latinos, Indians, Asians, or Middle Eastern people. They were created for black people. So please stop with all of these nonsensical comparisons with non-white people as if they in any way share in the struggles of black people. The term Redskin is not known to be a racial slur, nor do the fans of this team see it as a racial slur. The team name is not meant to be offensive or disrespectful to native Americans. If a small minority takes it as being offensive it's because they want to be offended. If that is the case they are free not to support the team. It's their right to protest the name if they so wish. As a black man, I believe the team name is 100% acceptable and should never be changed. And it definitely shouldn't be changed because of a bunch of SJWs are whining about it.
/End thread

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #28
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
I think you need to substitute the word black for liberal. I have seen many a liberal compare the plight of a minority group to that of the inhumane treatment that black people suffered in this country for centuries.

The best recent popular example was the gay wedding cake issue in Colorado.
On another forum I no longer go to with a huge left leaning and a lot of off topic discussion, many compared the refusal to bake a gay cake with banning blacks from establishments in the Jim Crow south. Any discrimination against gays was often compared to how blacks were treated in the past. The absurdity of that is a person who is black cannot pass themselves off as being white, but a gay person can pass themselves off as being straight to avoid discrimination if need be.

Last edited by Buffalo Bob; 06-06-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:51 PM   #29
SunnySide
Playmaker

The Washington Post recently published an article which claimed that “the majority of Native Americans still aren’t offended by the name of Washington Redskins.” The article comes amid ongoing debate over whether the name of the US capital’s football team is racist.

Upon reading the poll’s findings, we quickly learn that the publication conducted this survey via phone with 500 “self-identified” Native Americans. The Post also profiled 12 of the participants who had various opinions on the mascot debate – with an emphasis on those who approve of the Washington Redskins. Curiously, the Post conducted this same survey in 2016.
Even if groups of self-identified Native Americans don’t find the term offensive, “redskins” is still racist on its face. Of the 12 profiled by WaPo, there was at least one authentic Native pointing to the fact that Natives often use the term “skins” to describe one another. This is similar to black communities reclaiming the n-word, but, likewise, not every Native person uses this word.

Should a team representing the capital of the United States really be embracing a racial slur? Washington DC is the historic gathering place for calls to action and protest centre of policy in America. The dictionary defines the term “redskins” as a racial slur, which should shut down any debate. Several Native organizations and tribes have petitioned the Washington Redskins to change their name.

Growing up on the Northern Cheyenne reservation in Montana, I wasn’t removed from my culture and community. Being rooted in heritage meant my education started with elders passing on oral history, including language used to dehumanize our ancestors. My tribe doesn’t identify as “redskins”. This is a derogatory term coined by colonialists often historically used interchangeably with “savages”.

We don’t need polls to ascertain that racial slurs are offensive. We don’t even need to compare them to “the n-word” to illustrate they’re plain wrong. What is the point of polls on the topic? They discredit work Indigenous activists have done championing for change and progression. Polls also erase Native voices who continue speaking out using the hashtag #NotYourMascot. Washington DC is supposed to be a progressive and tolerant city, yet this issue comes up for rigorous debate every few years.

While other organizations in the United States have listened to Native activists and gotten rid of offensive mascot names, a sports team representing our nation’s capitol proudly flies racism. Hiding behind “self-identified” Native Americans urging nations deeply rooted in community to get over it represents everything that is Washington DC. Not just in the era of Trump, either. We still have a lot of work to do.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a9058881.html
Old 06-08-2020, 07:08 AM   #30
rocnrik
Playmaker

This name thing has been going on a long time ... a long time ..whatever they change it to unless it’s total away from a persons ethnic or race or whatever it Won’t work ..warriors etc promotes violence .. you get the idea ..I’ve pulled for the Redskins my whole life If they change name I’m done because if won’t be the team I love ... if it’s that easy why not all of us just pick another damn team 😀.. I get it if you live in DC it’s your home however I don’t have that connection.. Washington congressionals, Washington Monuments, Washington freedom, that’s what I’m afraid of .. the name is going to be changed I hope they can somehow keep the Native American legacy in the name .. I’m not sure . Question for you .. if the redskins were to move to another city like the browns did and changed the name (ravens) would you follow them ? Unless the team keeps the identity with a mild tweak ( just drop the redskins ) just be known as Washington put the feather on helmet and let each individual decide if they want to use the nickname ...
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote