Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Signing Walter Rasby

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-08-2004, 11:03 AM   #16
Defensewins
Playmaker

I have changed my mind about trading down. I think drafting S Sean Taylor gives us the most value and makes the most sense. He will be an instant starter and a All Star for years to come at a very important position.
I don't see any DE in the draft (including Udeze or Will Smith) that will start over Renaldo Wynn, Regan Upshaw or Phillip Daniels this coming year. Why blow a top #5 pick on a situational, part time pass rusher?
The defensive Tackles are even worse this year then the DE's. I don't see one DT that can come in and be a difference maker and displace any of our current starters.
Why draft a player that will sit on the bench most of the time and collect a big paycheck.
S Sean Taylor is currently better then both of our safety's (Ohalete and Bowen). He will be an immediate upgrade and full time contributer. Plus moving Ohalete or Bowen to full time special teams duty will greatly improve the special teams.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-08-2004, 11:51 AM   #17
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
I have changed my mind about trading down. I think drafting S Sean Taylor gives us the most value and makes the most sense. He will be an instant starter and a All Star for years to come at a very important position.
I don't see any DE in the draft (including Udeze or Will Smith) that will start over Renaldo Wynn, Regan Upshaw or Phillip Daniels this coming year. Why blow a top #5 pick on a situational, part time pass rusher?
The defensive Tackles are even worse this year then the DE's. I don't see one DT that can come in and be a difference maker and displace any of our current starters.
Why draft a player that will sit on the bench most of the time and collect a big paycheck.
S Sean Taylor is currently better then both of our safety's (Ohalete and Bowen). He will be an immediate upgrade and full time contributer. Plus moving Ohalete or Bowen to full time special teams duty will greatly improve the special teams.
I agree on taylor with you DW but I have to say there is prob. 1/2 a dozen tackles [ at least ] in this draft better than what we have, there is some serious talent coming out this year in all positions that's why we have to strike while the iron is hot, taylor should be our first pick hopefully.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:55 AM   #18
MTK
\m/

Alot depends on how the upcoming minicamp goes.

If Gibbs and the staff isn't content with Bowen and Ohalete, then Taylor could be a possibility.

But then again, if they think the d-line could use more work then trading down makes sense.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:03 PM   #19
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
I agree on taylor with you DW but I have to say there is prob. 1/2 a dozen tackles [ at least ] in this draft better than what we have, there is some serious talent coming out this year in all positions that's why we have to strike while the iron is hot, taylor should be our first pick hopefully.
NY Jet DT Dewayne Robertson was a to 5 pick last year. There were several team trying to move up last year to get him. Robertson is rated better than any DT that is coming out this year. Despite that, Robertson had a major learning curve and took most of the season to become an adequate DT.
The highest rated DT this year (Tommie Harris) is not expected to get drafted until mid to late 1st round. Teams are always looking for DT's, so if there was a good one in this draft, you can bet he would be rated a top ten pick. But there is no can't miss DT this year.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:07 PM   #20
hkh
Camp Scrub

The Sporting News now predicts the Redskins to take Mike Williams! Crazy, huh? They just said that if he drops to five we'll take him and build the team around Williams, Coles, and Portis. Now that would really be something but it seems highly unlikely. We just need more on the defensive side of the ball. However, I think that if we don't trade our pick, we will definately take one of the stud recievers over Winslow. The Gibbs offense needs a TE but not a great tight end. However, while the RBs and QBs changed over the years we always had a good corps of recievers (Monk, Clark, ...). To me, Winslow doesn't make sense. I say we take Taylor or trade down.
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 02:49 PM   #21
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Alot depends on how the upcoming minicamp goes.

If Gibbs and the staff isn't content with Bowen and Ohalete, then Taylor could be a possibility.

But then again, if they think the d-line could use more work then trading down makes sense.
Matty, I think you hit the nail on the head about mini-camp. This year's team could be about 95% complete by mini-camp at the end of the month, so that:
A. The players can begin to learn the systems and start developing chemistry with each other.
B. The coaches can determine the biggest weakness(es) to continue to address through FA and/or through the draft.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:07 PM   #22
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

I read somewhere that we may quietly still go after Sapp. If this is the case I could see us maybe droping a bomb in the draft by taking Mike William WR of USC with the 5th, then sending Gardner to the chiefs for their first and maybe fourth rounds. Then trading down futher to new england to get some picks and take the best overall center. it would be different but maybe it would happen.
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:11 PM   #23
Ade Jimoh Fan Club
Special Teams

True that Sapp is overhyped, but he ain't that bad either.... for the right price AND if he has his heart into it - I think he'd be a TREMENDOUS addition. Can he get along w/ LaVar though?? They were about in fist-to-cuffs this past season....
Ade Jimoh Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:23 PM   #24
johnnyredskin63
Special Teams

i do'nt care how good sapp is,he's a problem we do'nt need.why replace an all about me player with another all about me player?i hope the redskins learned their lesson with flash big name players when they signed pasttime sanders.warren sapp we do not need.
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
always remember ladies and germs-THE COWBOYS SUCK
johnnyredskin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:25 PM   #25
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
NY Jet DT Dewayne Robertson was a to 5 pick last year. There were several team trying to move up last year to get him. Robertson is rated better than any DT that is coming out this year. Despite that, Robertson had a major learning curve and took most of the season to become an adequate DT.
The highest rated DT this year (Tommie Harris) is not expected to get drafted until mid to late 1st round. Teams are always looking for DT's, so if there was a good one in this draft, you can bet he would be rated a top ten pick. But there is no can't miss DT this year.
personally I said it last year, I thought that wilfork was better than robertson last year, he was the guy I wanted unfortunatly he stayed in school after his parent's were killed in a car accident, but I think he will be a much better pro than robertson, when it's all said and done there will be some other tackles having better careers than robertson, that were drafted last year incl. the kid from oklahoma who went to minnesota kevin williams. I am not big on harris, wilfork or stark's are the 2 I think will be big time.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:38 PM   #26
johnnyredskin63
Special Teams

Thumbs up

gentlemen and ladies,i think that winslow is a redskin unless they trade down for more picks.i just have a gut feeling if he's there gibbs will take him because he's too good to pass up.
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
always remember ladies and germs-THE COWBOYS SUCK
johnnyredskin63 is offline   Reply With Quote