Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Are the NY Giants making good decisions?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-19-2004, 06:30 AM   #16
Luxorreb
^21^

I don't know how anyone can think the Gmen are making good decisions. I think it's quite foolish to give up what they did for Eli and letting Collins go. I know Collins didn't wanna be a back up, but I probably woulda kept Collins as the starter shit I wouldn't have been in this predicament if I was owner...
I would like to know more about the grievance that the Gmen organization filed against Coughlin and the Players Union...??? JoeCrisp or Matty, anyone?

Advertisements
Old 05-19-2004, 07:18 AM   #17
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Collins was expensive (and not even that great of a QB, in my book.) Collins also wanted to start, whereas the Giants wanted to put their first pick in to let him run that team from day 1. May as well start a new QB with a new coach.

I agree, Tiki fumbles way too much, but you could have a worse back. Ahman Green used to be a persistant fumbler, all it took was a single sweatband to keep it from happening.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:29 AM   #18
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

As usual Daseal, you are just soooooooo wrong.

I understood what you meant about the OLine. My point is, regardless of their other offensive talent - which, other than Shockey, I think is moderate to good - their line stinks and, as we in Washington have known since Hog times, you are going nowhere w/out an OLine. The only thing they did to work on their biggest problem is sign a couple of Cleveland castoffs (of all the castoffs to sign - Cleveland's??) and draft Coughlin's son-in-law (who, to be fair, is supposed to be pretty good).

While Eli may eventually turn out to be a hot QB, he ain't gonna be nothing in his rookie year. In addition, as I have continually asserted, I think this is a team with a huge psychological problem. Every year there has been some locker room divisiveness. It appears to me, Fassell kept it under control by making everybody "feel good" and not pushing to hard. Coughlin is the polar opposite of this approach - and, I believe, it is going to cause this team to tear apart. Fingers they will be a pointing - at the coach, at each other, at the fans. All this and a rookie QB too? The Giants and 49'ers will be fighting for the cellar.

You see Daseal, the reason you don't get it is because this is all part of the right wing conspiracy to demoralize the Northern California and New York liberal blocs. Their teams are gonna suck soooooo bad, they won't want to leave their homes come November.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:48 AM   #19
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxorreb
I would like to know more about the grievance that the Gmen organization filed against Coughlin and the Players Union...??? JoeCrisp or Matty, anyone?
Actually, it was unidentified Giants players that filed a complaint with the players' union against the Giants for unspecified violations of the collective bargaining agreement-- presumably the portion of that agreement that pertains to minicamps and other offseason workouts. Here is an excerpt from the CBA regarding these issues:

Quote:
Section 1. Voluntary Workouts: No player shall be required to attend or participate in any off‑season workout program or classroom instruction of a Club other than as provided in Article XXXVI (Minicamps). Any other Club off‑season workout programs and classroom instruction sessions shall be voluntary and take place in the manner and time period set forth in this Article.

Section 2. Time Periods: Clubs may schedule or conduct off-season workout programs for no more than fourteen total weeks, and no more than four workouts per week, for any individual player. Such workout programs shall not be permitted on weekends. During such workout programs, there may be no more than fourteen (14) days of organized team practice activity, to be defined by the Player/Club Operations Committee. Nothing herein shall prevent a Club from permitting an individual player to work-out on his own on weekends using Club facilities if he wishes to do so.

(b) Each year off-season workout programs may not begin, and players may not be asked to voluntarily attend any such program, earlier than a date to be agreed upon by the Management Council and the NFLPA, and announced before the conclusion of the prior regular season. Each year on a date to be agreed upon by the parties, each Club shall provide the Management Council and the NFLPA with the Club's schedule for its off-season workout program that year, and shall advise the Management Council and the NFLPA in writing in advance of any changes to that schedule.

(c) During the off-season program period, except for the fourteen days of organized team practice activity and mini-camps, players may be (1) at the Club facility no more than four hours per day, no more than four days per week, and not during weekends; and (2) on the field no more than ninety minutes per day. In addition, the Club may not specify to any player more than two specific hours a day during which it suggests that the player be at club facilities. Any player participating in an off-season workout program may select the other two hours in which he wishes to attend to conduct his weight training, etc., as long as he does so during the hours of operations of the Club's weight room.

Section 5. Miscellaneous: No Club official shall indicate to a player that the Club’s off‑season workout program or classroom instruction is not voluntary (or that a player’s failure to participate in a workout program or classroom instruction will result in the player’s failure to make the Club). Contact work (e.g., “live” blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump‑and‑run) is expressly prohibited in all off‑season workouts. All Clubs, coaches and other Club officials shall follow all of the rules regarding off-season workouts set forth in Appendix L hereto.
It's hard to say which portion(s) of these rules might have been violated, but it could have been that Coach Coughlin exceeded the 90-minute on-field practice time, or suggested more than the allowable 2 specific hours of attendance at the club facility per day. It may have been suggested that attendance at the team's "voluntary" workouts was more than voluntary. There may have been a violation of the "no-contact" requirement during practice. At this point, it's anybody's guess.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:52 AM   #20
hi-jinx
Special Teams

From what I understand is they made certein parts of mini camp mandatory and longer than allowed. I don't think they came out and say the practices were mandatory per se. The story I heard was is the coaches put up a sign saying a breakfast before practice was mandatory. Each team is only allowed so many mini camp days and so many full practice days. From what I heard this isn't Coughlin's first offense in this area.
hi-jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:09 AM   #21
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Collins was expensive (and not even that great of a QB, in my book.) Collins also wanted to start, whereas the Giants wanted to put their first pick in to let him run that team from day 1. May as well start a new QB with a new coach.
Remember too that Collins had little value to Coughlin as someone who could impart his system onto Manning. Kerry Collins had as much to learn about Coughlin's offense as Eli Manning does - which makes his $7 million salary easy to drop. If Collins had some experience with Coughlin's system, I'm sure something could have been worked out.

There are only a few QB's in the league that have experience under Coughlin. Notably, we have the one with the most experience (Brunnell). Jaime Martin (who may still be with the Jets), Rob Johnson (Raiders?), Jay Fielder (Dolphins), Jonathon Quinn (Chiefs?), and David Garrard (still Jax) all played under Coughlin, and might have fit the bill. Interestingly, all except Garrard (I think) would have been available in free agency, and none were considered (or they refused any inquiries). What that says about Coughlin, or the Giants, or the players - who are noticably lacking in star power - I won't speculate.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:43 PM   #22
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

The G-men are in serious trouble. Coughlin sees this and that alone is why he has already ordained Manning the franchise QB. When he was sucking in J-ville and left Leftwich on the bench, he had nobody to blame but himself. Starting a rookie deflects all of the criticism he will be facing and puts it on the QB's shoulders. "You can't hold me accountable, I have to play a rookie QB!"
And drafting the father of his daughters baby (not son-in-law...) smacks of poor headwork and nepotism. How the heck can he ever cut the guy?
Tiki Barber fumbles more than he scores, the o-line is horrible.....
Can't wait to play 'em!
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:48 PM   #23
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

The Giants are going to stink on wheat toast this year!

How about this for a clver move, however?

They signed as a free agent Jared Lorenzen, the big QB out of Kentucky. That is probably a smokescreen because J-Load - as he has come to be known - showed up at the minicamp weighing 292 lbs. He played last year at 275. Actually, the secret deal the Giants have with J-Load is that he will be starting at OT this year...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:03 PM   #24
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

I think the Giants have a solid Offense minus the line, but their D seems to be getting worse everytime I see their roster. Emmons is the only ok LB they have on their roster, and the D-line is nothing without 92 unless Hand proves he is not a has been which could help them. Also their DB's are good when healthy whenever that is. So overall they have an ok offense and a suspect D but they did get Eli, who can only do so much even if he turns out to be a stud (similiar to Peyton with no D in Indy his first few seasons). The worst thing of all for the Giants is not only are their best players starting to get on the old side they have no first round pick next year which will more than likely be top 10. Could be a long few years for the Giants.
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:08 PM   #25
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagonskins
The G-men are in serious trouble. Coughlin sees this and that alone is why he has already ordained Manning the franchise QB. When he was sucking in J-ville and left Leftwich on the bench, he had nobody to blame but himself. Starting a rookie deflects all of the criticism he will be facing and puts it on the QB's shoulders. "You can't hold me accountable, I have to play a rookie QB!"
And drafting the father of his daughters baby (not son-in-law...) smacks of poor headwork and nepotism. How the heck can he ever cut the guy?
Tiki Barber fumbles more than he scores, the o-line is horrible.....
Can't wait to play 'em!
Though Leftwich wasn't on the Jags when Coughlin was there, you're absolutely right about Coughlin's desire for Manning. It's also the reason Manning wanted to be in NY rather than SD - Schottenheimer will have had three years to improve the Chargers, and it's unlikely they'll be measurably better than last year. That means a new coach in SD, so Manning would get a new system, wasting his rookie season.

In defense of the Giants, Chris Snee (my grand-baby's daddy) is a solid prospect, and among the best interior linemen in the draft this year. He wasn't a reach, but it will be awkward at the dinner table after he (inevitably) gets chewed out.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:41 PM   #26
Riggo44
The Starter

I sure hope not!!!
Old 05-19-2004, 05:00 PM   #27
Carnage
Special Teams

Poor Eli will always be comparted to Payton, but Payton had something Eli does not. Peyton's first year was promising but the record sucked. As a result, they were in the position to draft Edgerrin James, and the rest is history. Since next years pick was traded for Eli, he will not have another young weapon to make his life easier.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 01:40 AM   #28
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

BrudLee, thanks for the correction but I see you got my point. I really think Eli is in a bad situation and there is no relief. The fans of NYG are already pissed that their team quit last year and is complaining about working in the off-season (right or wrong). Who are they going to stary, the Bachelor? No way, and if he starts and loses then the fans will be screaming for heads. Eli is going to take the brunt of it and he ain't getting help in next years draft. Clevelands fans made Couch cry, imagine what NY fans are going to do to him. He's incredibly lucky he's not in Philly!
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote