Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Trung Canidate Situation...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-22-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

The Trung Canidate Situation...

Well, June 1 is quickly approaching. I'll bet there are a large number of Warpath members who'll be expecting Trung Canidate's name to be at the top of the list of cuts.

Just wondering, but does the relatively quiet chatter from Gibbs and his assistants on Canidate mean anything to you guys? Could it be that Canidate may actually have a place in this system? Has there been any official word on his performance thusfar in minicamps?

We know he's fast. He also carried the ball for over 100 yards against New Orleans last season, so he's not incapable of handling the ball at least in spot duties. Granted, I wouldn't put him on the goal line on fourth and inches or anything, but I could see him as the third down-receiving threat out of the backfield, maybe in the mold of Joe Washington or Kelvin Bryant.

But then we have to wonder how much of the ball Chad Morton will see (outside of special teams of course). I'm pretty sure Betts will have the #2/short yardage spot. Then there's Rock Cartwright and what could be an untapped resource of abilities with Sultan McCollough.

I'm sure there will be those who disagree, but I'm willing to give Canidate one more season to be the back we all expected him to be under the guidance of Gibbs' coaching in Gibbs' scheme. A lightening-fast pass catcher on screens and swing passes, and an explosive runner on draws and pitch-outs.

I'm curious to see a tally of opinions from my fellow Warpath members on Trung Canidate.

Poll question anyone?

Keep him, or cut him?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-22-2004, 11:27 PM   #2
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Candidate isn't a horrible player. He's far from a #1 back, but I think with his speed he has to have SOME kind of use! I'm not sure as to what his salary is, but that would be the biggest determining factor on who to cut and who to keep.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:00 AM   #3
Shane
Special Teams

Canidate i think will be cut because we already have other backs who can run fast and play a third down role.

Well I think it's likely we will keep 5 running backs. Right now we have seven:

Portis
Morton
Canidate
Betts
Cartwright
McCullough
Simon

Portis and Morton are two of the five. Simon is likely to be cut. So there are three slots left for four players:

Canidate
Betts
McCullough
Cartwright

I think you want to keep a variety of backs - lead running back, third down backs, short yardage backs. You want players who are durable and can play special teams. Portis is the lead, Morton is a third down option. It would be nice to have a real power back - Cartwright might be the choice there. Portis needs a top backup, someone who really brings some spark to the table and keeps teams off balance. I believe McCullough could be that player. We will see how it plays out. Betts is a tough player and I think he will make the cut.

I think the final five will be:
Portis (starter)
Morton (part time third down back)
McCullough (top backup to Portis, third down duties)
Betts (all around back)
Cartwright (power back)
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:02 AM   #4
BrudLee
Playmaker

Canidate is a likely casualty not because of his ability or his salary, but that there is no cap penalty for cutting him. His salary is $915,000 - not outrageous by any means for his position, but It's 915k that can be spent elsewhere. Betts, on the other hand, makes $380k next year in base salary which would be recouped upon his release, but there would be $795k of dead cap space eaten up with the prorating of his bonus. Betts would have to screw up royally to lose his backup slot.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:24 AM   #5
exit0
Camp Scrub

Yeah, I agree with your assessments on the running backs. I think Candidate is gone because of the salary thing and that they have a good fast 3rd down back in Morton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Canidate i think will be cut because we already have other backs who can run fast and play a third down role.

Well I think it's likely we will keep 5 running backs. Right now we have seven:

Portis
Morton
Canidate
Betts
Cartwright
McCullough
Simon

Portis and Morton are two of the five. Simon is likely to be cut. So there are three slots left for four players:

Canidate
Betts
McCullough
Cartwright

I think you want to keep a variety of backs - lead running back, third down backs, short yardage backs. You want players who are durable and can play special teams. Portis is the lead, Morton is a third down option. It would be nice to have a real power back - Cartwright might be the choice there. Portis needs a top backup, someone who really brings some spark to the table and keeps teams off balance. I believe McCullough could be that player. We will see how it plays out. Betts is a tough player and I think he will make the cut.

I think the final five will be:
Portis (starter)
Morton (part time third down back)
McCullough (top backup to Portis, third down duties)
Betts (all around back)
Cartwright (power back)
exit0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 01:12 AM   #6
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

we've got way to many half backs. Last year we could have halfbacks that would compete to be the 3rd down back. This year, I want Portis in everydown that he isnt tired. If its 3rd I expecially want Portis in the game. If we have room we should keep the players so we can atleast try to trade them. Morton should just be an expensive returner. Portis startign HB, Betts backup because hes cheaper then Trung. Cooley starting H-back. Rock backup H-back/fullback. And Sultan should be on the practice squad. Even that is a lot of running backs, and you guys didnt really mention Cooley that much. Mabye Cooley wont play much this year and someone else will fill in the hback role. We do have Rasby to be a blocking tightend.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:42 AM   #7
love them hogs
Special Teams

I think trung will unfortunatly be the odd man out.I dont see anyone else getting cut.I will be especialy pissed off if they cut Rock.Mainly because I think he is a good short yardage back.My other reason is that he has one of the best football names I have ever heard.With a name like Rock Cartwright he just belongs on the football field.
love them hogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 07:58 AM   #8
Hogskin
Impact Rookie

Yeah, Canidate is gone. Not only the cap issue that all of you covered well, but he can not block. It looked like a fire drill in the backfield when he was in on passing plays last year. The only plays he could be on the field for under Gibbs are running plays, or quick passes to him out of the backfield. Not going to happen - too much of a giveaway.
Hogskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 08:56 AM   #9
joecrisp
The Starter

Another big mark against Canidate is the fact that he didn't participate in any of the drills in the first two minicamps, due to the foot injury that he continues to rehabilitate. Meanwhile, Betts, Cartwright, Morton, McCullough and Simon all fully participated in both camps. Betts and Cartwright looked especially good in the second minicamp, for whatever that's worth.

Canidate is simply a more expensive version of Sultan McCullough, and there would be no cap hit for releasing him, so I'd have to imagine he's the odd man out. McCullough is also likely to see a lot of time as a gunner on special teams, due to his blazing speed, whereas I'd have a hard time seeing Canidate accepting a role as a special teams player. You have to be a willing and capable special teamer if you want to win a spot on this roster, and McCullough has indicated he plans to work very hard at becoming a special teams ace to ensure his future as a Redskin.

I've said it several times before, and I'll say it again: if McCullough gets an opportunity to carry the ball, he's going to shine. Obviously, he'll have to earn that opportunity. Success on special teams could buy him some time until that opportunity presents itself.

Due to the fact that Gibbs will want to have ample space on the roster for H-backs, TEs and WRs, I see the Skins keeping five RBs:

1. Portis
2. Betts
3. Morton
4. Cartwright
5. McCullough

Betts will fill the all-around backup and short-yardage role. Morton will obviously return kicks and provide spot duty on 3rd down. Cartwright and McCullough will primarily be special teamers-- and potentially very good ones-- which will give them added consideration for roster spots, though both could present a serious challenge to Betts for the backup role behind Portis. Canidate and Simon simply don't bring enough to the table that isn't already there.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:56 AM   #10
MTK
\m/

I'd be really surprised if Canidate makes the team.

For someone who has such a fast 40 time he sure doesn't play fast.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:38 PM   #11
Big C
Mr. Brightside

why is everyone so high on Sultan McColough. Personally I didnt think he had that great of a preseason last year, it was against backups, just curious to why everyone thinks he is so good...
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 03:16 PM   #12
jasonskin
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I'd be really surprised if Canidate makes the team.

For someone who has such a fast 40 time he sure doesn't play fast.

Me to it would be a surpised.
jasonskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 03:23 PM   #13
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C
why is everyone so high on Sultan McColough. Personally I didnt think he had that great of a preseason last year, it was against backups, just curious to why everyone thinks he is so good...
being fast doesn't always equate to great football skills (ie, james jett), but it doesn't hurt sultan runs a 10.1 100 meters. He played on a mediocre SC team back in the mid-90s, where he learned how to run between tackles (he already knew how to break it outside and take it to the house once in a while) and play through injury.

Again, that was college, so nobody really knows what he can do in the league. Like Crisp says, we'll see something when he's given the chance.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 06:42 PM   #14
jdlea
Playmaker

I also wonder why you all are so high on Sultan McCullough. He has showed me nothing outside of a few decent performances in the 4th quarter of some preseason games last year. I also wonder what Ladell Betts has done to make him a lock to make this team. I haven't seen anything from Betts that guarantees his spot either. I think the runners we keep should be:
Starter: Portis
Backup: Cartwright
Others: Morton
Candidate
Betts

I only think they should keep Betts because it's too early to give up on him. Candidate didn't play well last season, but he was still the top runner on the team. In addition to Candidate, Rock Cartwright really showed me something. I was surprised by his ability to run the football. He played pretty well considering the situation he was put in and I feel he could flourish as the backup to Clinton Portis.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:35 AM   #15
jrocx69
Special Teams

i think you guys that dont like sultan are close to hitting moron on the IQ chart. the guy plays fast, runs especially fast, and speed n determination is what special teams are all about... he's definately got them both. and with that speed, the odds of playing hb is very good. if anyone didnt notice the game is all about speed now. look at de's and lb's from back in the day to now. huge decrease in weight.. hell, qbs back in the day to now... whats different? SPEED
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote