Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Trung Canidate Situation...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-24-2004, 12:40 AM   #16
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Yes speed is what counts, but its speed after the catch, speed scrambling out of the pocket, speed after breaking through the line, speed chasing down a receiver. Not speed on a stopwatch. Its more about quickness than anything. Trungs problem was he couldnt stay on his feet, he couldnt take a hit and keep going. When no one touched him he churned out a bunch of big games, but that happens less often then you having to break a tackle.

As far as Sultan, after seein him in the preseason I was hoping all season he would get his chance to start, I really liked what I saw out of him and wished he had received a chance to play more

Advertisements
Old 05-24-2004, 04:52 AM   #17
Hogskin
Impact Rookie

Hmmmm - seems pretty harsh (and downright silly) to call anyone who disagrees with your subjective assessment of talent a "moron".

Oh, and by the way, I am not one of the "morons"...
Hogskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:32 AM   #18
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogskin
Hmmmm - seems pretty harsh (and downright silly) to call anyone who disagrees with your subjective assessment of talent a "moron".

Oh, and by the way, I am not one of the "morons"...
Seriously, there's no need to insult someone for their opinion.
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:25 AM   #19
BrudLee
Playmaker

To the Sultan-Backers - yes, he is VERY fast, and in his limited (mostly training camp) experience, he showed a great deal. Remember two things - he hasn't played in the regular season effectively; and he left college with a (reportedly huge) attitude problem, which then coordinator Hue Jackson thought he could address because of their shared USC background. Hue ain't there no more.

To the Sultan-Bashers - Sultan is crazy, sexy fast. Not like Canidate, either. At 6'0", 200 lbs., he has shoulders before he puts the pads on. Sure he's a little crazy, but when there's a two-foot gap between Thomas and Jansen, you've got to be nuts to sprint through it. At his contract level (CHEAP!), he deserves to be in the hunt for a slot on this team. He was a tweener last year - too good for the practice squad, not good enough for the roster. He's earned a chance to win a spot.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:32 AM   #20
MTK
\m/

Sultan wins out in my book over Trung simply because he has untapped potential. We've already seen Trung in action and outside of one big game in his rookie season against the Jets he's failed to impress. Also, Trung = no cap hit. I'd say the odds are stacked against him to be here in September.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:44 AM   #21
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Sultan wins out in my book over Trung simply because he has untapped potential. We've already seen Trung in action and outside of one big game in his rookie season against the Jets he's failed to impress. Also, Trung = no cap hit. I'd say the odds are stacked against him to be here in September.
The cap hit is the big deal. As a four-year veteran, he'll also be expensive to re-sign, should we choose to do that. Since we have young talent available, we should hold onto it, rather than invest in a player who probably doesn't have a future with the team.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:23 AM   #22
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

what dont you think Trung would have a cap hit Matty. He has a multiyear deal and got a signing bonus didnt he. My guess it would only be around a million dollar cap hit but still we dont have a lot of cap room for the next few years. Trung has the biggest cap hit of any of our running backs, other than Portis of course.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:55 AM   #23
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
what dont you think Trung would have a cap hit Matty. He has a multiyear deal and got a signing bonus didnt he. My guess it would only be around a million dollar cap hit but still we dont have a lot of cap room for the next few years. Trung has the biggest cap hit of any of our running backs, other than Portis of course.
http://home.earthlink.net/~wahoofamily/salary04.htm
Old 05-24-2004, 11:59 AM   #24
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

that weird, I dont recall him not getting a signing bonus but im not goign to argue it now. I guess Snyder figured he might be a casuality but was getting who Spurrier wanted. Im glad he didnt get one now.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:06 PM   #25
joecrisp
The Starter

Canidate is still playing on the contract he signed with the Rams, and the prorated remainder of the signing bonus from that contract was counted against the Rams' 2003 cap when they traded him to the Redskins. So if the Skins were to cut Canidate, there would be no cap hit-- and his salary ($915k for 2004) would come off the books as far as the cap goes. That's why Canidate is a primary candidate to be cut once he is deemed healthy enough for the Redskins to do so. Right now, he's apparently still recovering from a foot injury he suffered last season, and the CBA forbids teams from cutting a player when he is recovering from a football-related injury. Once he is cleared medically, he's a goner.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:12 PM   #26
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Quote:
that weird, I dont recall him not getting a signing bonus but im not goign to argue it now. I guess Snyder figured he might be a casuality but was getting who Spurrier wanted. Im glad he didnt get one now.
Trung was aquired in a trade, so his SB still counted against the Rams' salary cap. (I don't think he restructured after the trade, but I could be wrong...)
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:13 PM   #27
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

I take back my last post. That link you gave me is bogus information and I will agrue it. The thing about Trung might be right but in general that site is wrong. Take Arrington for instance, they have his rookie signing bonus on there or 10 million and not his new contract. The Portis numbers dont add up right and if I were you I wouldnt use that site anymore.

http://www.thehogs.net/html/Team/salary_table.php

that seems to be a more accurate table then the other one.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:15 PM   #28
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Arringstons deal is worth 35 million on that site, hes got a 68 million dollar deal. I think 35 millino could have been his previous contract. Perhaps the rest of that site is right and I just happened to check the two that wrong, but it was enough to make me want to track down a different site.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:28 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I take back my last post. That link you gave me is bogus information and I will agrue it. The thing about Trung might be right but in general that site is wrong. Take Arrington for instance, they have his rookie signing bonus on there or 10 million and not his new contract. The Portis numbers dont add up right and if I were you I wouldnt use that site anymore.

http://www.thehogs.net/html/Team/salary_table.php

that seems to be a more accurate table then the other one.
Regardless of what the tables say about LaVar don't they both say the same thing about Trung? That there's no cap hit for him?
Old 05-24-2004, 01:33 PM   #30
MTK
\m/

yeah I thought we were talking about Trung having no cap hit? LOL

Looks like buddha's site might not be completely up to date but it generally is and that site has always been the first source I check for salary info.

Thanks for the other link though.

I wish we could find out own capologist to take care of a salaries page here on our site. Any takers?