Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

George to be cut.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-26-2004, 04:17 PM   #1
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

George to be cut.

It seems that Eddie George is going to be cut by the Titans. I wonder if the Tuna has been waiting for this the whole time. Maybe he traded down for a good pick next year and took a RB in Jones that could be taught by a vet like George. I know he is getting old but behind a good line he could still do serious damage. I just keep picturing the Titans Ravens game last year in my head and pray he doesn't get in our conference!!!
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-26-2004, 04:20 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I've been wondering the same thing. He could be a good mentor in Dallas.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

He would be a good pickup for Dallas but I think Parcells is committed to Jones (let's just hope he's not the next Curtis Martin). With the lack of moves from Dallas this offseason, I'd be surprised if they go after George.
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:42 PM   #4
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

Thats scary. Lets hope some other team will pick him up first.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
BrudLee
Playmaker

I'm really not worried about the "RB as mentor" issue. If that were the case, Trung Canidate would have learned a lot more fro Marshall Faulk, and we'd have had a running game last year.

If Dallas signs George, it'll be to play - and I don't know how effectively he can do that anymore.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee
I don't know how effectively he can do that anymore.
I agree George IMO is not that good
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:14 PM   #7
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Assuming the price is reasonable, why not sign him here to get short yardage? Even at diminished skill levels, if Eddie George only has to carry the ball 8-10 times a game, he is better than any running back on the Skins' roster except Portis. And he can block too...

Please don't try to tell me that Rock Cartwright is better. He's not!
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:26 PM   #8
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
Assuming the price is reasonable, why not sign him here to get short yardage? Even at diminished skill levels, if Eddie George only has to carry the ball 8-10 times a game, he is better than any running back on the Skins' roster except Portis. And he can block too...

Please don't try to tell me that Rock Cartwright is better. He's not!
Hey SportsCurmudgeon! Someone is spoofing your name! They make it sound like you want to sign Eddie George!

The assumption that his price will be reasonable is the problem here. What is reasonable for a back on the downslope of his career who averaged 3.3 YPC last year? Certainly you don't want to pay a lot of signing bonus, because George probably doesn't have too many years left in the tank.

And I agree - Rock Cartwright isn't fit to carry Eddie George's ... groceries. But he can probably get 3.4 yards per carry next year, and at a much better salary.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:47 PM   #9
jasonskin
Special Teams

Do you all think that he will go to the eagles
jasonskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:57 PM   #10
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

The Eagles are set at RB. Staley was a waste of money for them, which is why they got rid of him.

Buckhalter and Westbrook give them all the running they need.

I like Eddie George, but he's damn near done, IMO.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:45 PM   #11
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

George a redskin?!?1 what would he play, special teams. We've already had posts about what running backs are going ot get cut, we definitly dont need more.

And for argument sake, im going ot go ahead and say that Cartright is a better running back at the moment. Rock probably had a higher yards per carry and was a force for us on short yardage lsat year.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:08 PM   #12
EEich
The Starter

I bet he's in a black and silver uni after Gannon is released.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:28 PM   #13
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
George a redskin?!?1 what would he play, special teams. We've already had posts about what running backs are going ot get cut, we definitly dont need more.

And for argument sake, im going ot go ahead and say that Cartright is a better running back at the moment. Rock probably had a higher yards per carry and was a force for us on short yardage lsat year.
Plus George is not that young anymore, where Cartright still has his youth and health which with his talent could make him a good back.
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:48 PM   #14
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEich
I bet he's in a black and silver uni after Gannon is released.
Eddie got a few years left to play for some other teams before he puts on the black and silver.

Youd think with all those vets on that team that they would have a bunch of young guys learning from the best and then stepping in and having a great team. Sapp and Ted Washington are going to be hard as hell to get by next year. I wish they were our DTs
Old 05-26-2004, 11:00 PM   #15
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Let me clarify my statement above. The Redskins are not now and have not been for the last five years concerned with "building for the future". The idea is to win this year and get in the playoffs and see what happens then.

If you are looking at THIS YEAR - and maybe next year as the farthest into the future that one can imagine - Eddie George can do as much for this team if not more than ANY running back on the roster at the moment except Clinton Portis. He cannot carry the ball 25 times a game anymore for more than a week or so. But the only way that anyone on this team carries the ball 25 times or more for more than one week other than Portis means that Portis is hurt. And if Portis is hurt, you are smoking some high quality stuff if you believe that Cartwright or Betts or Canidate or Simon is going to step in and average 150 yards from scrimmage per game. George would merely be the short yardage back and the guy who comes in for three or four plays to give Portis a blow.

The issue is COST. If George costs three times what Cartwright and Betts cost, then you hang up the phone with his agent and move on to the next item. But if you can have him for what those guys cost, you would be NUTS to keep them and let him go elsewhere. Remember, this is about winning now and not in 2009. If Joe Gibbs hasn't gotten past 8-8 by 2009, he's going to be heading on out of here...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote