Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins Training Camp Thread-Fan Appreciation Day Thoughts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #31
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Redskins Training Camp Thread-Fan Appreciation Day Thoughts

Yep, I saw that one...looked like a mini Randel El, going the wrong way.

Once you start going backwards as a punt returner, you usually stay backwards.

Advertisements
Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #32
MTK
\m/

Redskins practice report: Aug. 6 | WashingtonExaminer.com

RGIII Report: Aug. 6 | WashingtonExaminer.com
Old 08-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #33
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Rich Campbell ‏@Rich_Campbell

Orakpo on diversifying his pass rush repertoire: I'm a physical guy. I'm not a technician. #Redskins

Translation: I'm a one trick pony who's capped out on his max potential.

Update:

Orakpo backs off his stated desire to diversify pass rush arsenal - Washington Times

Quote:
"I can’t divert from my game," he said Tuesday morning. "I’m a physical guy. I’m not a technician. I use a lot of my ability to get to the quarterback. I’m not going to go out there and try to fake some stuff and not really play my game.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 08-07-2012 at 12:02 PM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #34
MTK
\m/

Nothing wrong with being a power rusher, that's what he is. Better that he knows and understands his game rather than trying to be something he's not.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #35
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I'd like for him to diversify his arsenal, but if he's uncomfortable trying other things I'm not gonna expect him to. At least we have Kerrigan on the other side, he's got his own little arsenal too which will help.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #36
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I'd like for him to diversify his arsenal, but if he's uncomfortable trying other things I'm not gonna expect him to. At least we have Kerrigan on the other side, he's got his own little arsenal too which will help.
Kerrigan isn't much different from Orakpo. They both as more power rushers. Kerrigan has a non stop motor. Orakpo, not that he doesn't have a non stop motor, but he's more of a 'Where's the holding call?' kind of guy whether he is or isn't being held midway through the play, thats when he kind of half-ass's it, where as Kerrigan is still going after the QB just as fast as he was at the snap.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #37
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Nothing wrong with being a power rusher, that's what he is. Better that he knows and understands his game rather than trying to be something he's not.

I don't buy that crap. What he excels at doesn't mean he should limit himself to that, but that's exactly what he does. If he were to incorporate some finesse with his power, he would pretty much be unstoppable. As it is, it doesn't take too much to game plan around him because you know he is going to do one move and he's going to go wide. That's what separates the good (Orakpo) players with the great (Ware/Matthews).
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #38
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Kerrigan isn't much different from Orakpo. They both as more power rushers. Kerrigan has a non stop motor. Orakpo, not that he doesn't have a non stop motor, but he's more of a 'Where's the holding call?' kind of guy whether he is or isn't being held midway through the play, thats when he kind of half-ass's it, where as Kerrigan is still going after the QB just as fast as he was at the snap.
Yeah but Kerrigan's also got a spin move that we saw a couple times last season, and he is also effective on the inside of the tackle whereas Rak only tries to bullrush the tackle or go around the outside, which is where he gets held at. I'm not saying Kerrigan's an elite pass rusher, but his arsenal has more moves than Rak's.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #39
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I don't buy that crap. What he excels at doesn't mean he should limit himself to that, but that's exactly what he does. If he were to incorporate some finesse with his power, he would pretty much be unstoppable. As it is, it doesn't take too much to game plan around him because you know he is going to do one move and he's going to go wide. That's what separates the good (Orakpo) players with the great (Ware/Matthews).
Well he did say he's working on other moves.

I think his point is at the end of the day his strength as a pass rusher comes from his physicality, and that's how he's going to continue to play.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #40
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Here is the quote and snap analysis form Campbell

Quote:
Obviously, there’s some stuff I would like to work on, some counter moves and stuff like that to get some more sacks, some more pressures. But at the end of the day, I’m not going to divert from my game. I’m a physical pass rusher, and I like to get into tackles, and I like to get after it."

So that's a bit vexing. The interesting thing is that Orakpo has continued to try inside moves and moves involving misdirection during training camp. That leaves us a bit unsure of what we'll see in games.

Orakpo likes to rush based on feel and reaction, not a predetermined move, so it's possible he'll get into game action and use some of the newer moves he's been working on. Given his mixed comments on the subject, we'll just have wait and see.
There is nothing wrong in playing to his strengths - physicality and speed. It just a question of how to diversify while doing so. I think he is simply saying - "I have to be true to myself and trying use specific 'moves' for the sake of using moves isn't my strength."

For example - different styles work for different folks. I do my job in a diversified way - lots of different ways to get from A -> C in the court room. However, at 6'2", 270 lbs., with a shaved head and voice that has a naturally built in megaphone - the quiet, introspective lawyer approach would appear fake to a jury and is simply not the way for me to go. I know this and make sure that, however I present, it remains true to my natural abilities, etc. (I'm brilliant in so many other ways).

Misdirection and counters can be done with physicality and strength. To me, from what he is saying and doing in practice, it seems to me that Rak is simply trying to find ways that allow him to less predictable but, at the same time, don't require him to "be someone else" when he rushes the passer.

R. White developed his "trade-mark" swim move b/c it worked for him. It fit White's abilities and his style of play. White did other moves, but they all came from his power and less from his speed. The man was a bull rusher first and foremost and his swim and spins worked from that. Rak's physicality is different (White=pure overwhelming power; Rak=power/speed) from that of White's so a "Patented R.White" swim move may not be what works for him - that doesn't mean he isn't looking to develop (as R.White did) things that play to his strengths and help him be a better pass rusher.

At least, that's what I am hoping Rak is saying.

Let's wait and see what he comes up with.

Last edited by JoeRedskin; 08-07-2012 at 02:44 PM.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #41
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Here is the quote and snap analysis form Campbell

There is nothing wrong in playing to his strengths - physicality and speed. It just a question of how to diversify while doing so. I think he is simply saying - "I have to be true to myself and trying use specific 'moves' for the sake of using moves isn't my strength."

For example - different styles work for different folks. I do my job in a diversified way - lots of different ways to get from A -> C in the court room. However, at 6'2", 270 with a shaved head and voice that has a naturally built in megaphone - the quiet, introspective lawyer approach would appear fake to a jury and is simply not the way for me to go. I know this and make sure that, however I present, it remains true to my natural abilities, etc. (I'm brilliant in so many other ways).

Misdirection and counters can be done with physicality and strength. It seems from what he is saying and what he is doing, Rak is simply trying to find ways that allow him to less predictable but, at the same time, don't require him to "be someone else" when he rushes the passer.

R. White developed his "trade-mark" swim move b/c it worked for him. It fit his abilities and his style of play. White did other moves, but they all came from his power and less from his speed. The man was a bull rusher first and foremost and his swim and spins worked from that. Rak is more speed than bull rush so a "patented R.White" swim move may not be what works for him - that doesn't mean he isn't looking to develop (as R.White did) things that play to his strengths and help him be a better pass rusher.

At least, that's what I am hoping Rak is saying.

Let's wait and see what he comes up with.
That's how I took it too.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #42
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Rak's a solid player. But he's not elite. In order for him to get to that next level he needs to get to the QB more. I'd like to see the front office have Dexter Manley come work with some of the d-linemen/ OLB's during training camp.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #43
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Rak's a solid player. But he's not elite. In order for him to get to that next level he needs to get to the QB more. I'd like to see the front office have Dexter Manley come work with some of the d-linemen/ OLB's during training camp.
I like the way you think, but have to disagree. Different eras, probably different techniques, even if they played the same position. Which some don't. If our guys could perform like Manley consistently, which guys like Cofield already can IMO, great.

Love the talk in this thread, lately the White/Orakpo comparisons.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #44
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Redskins practice report (8/7) - Washington Times

good stuff...I like the talk about Niles and Shanny hiding him this preseason. The stuff about Morgan not hustling, not happy about. You cant get that contract and then not give 100% all the time. Getting called out by Shanny on the field is not cool.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #45
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Redskins practice report: Aug. 7 | WashingtonExaminer.com

Brandon Banks standing out again. M. Hurt struggling again...jeez. Kinda tired of hearing about our fill in guys getting beat.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote