Post Indy Game Thoughts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Bucket
Playmaker

Re: Post Indy Game Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I'm in the "the Colts will rebound" club.

With that said, their defense has similar weaknesses to ours: too many guys running free in the secondary. Not enough Jerraud Powers and Antoine Bethea's back there.

Now having seen all three preseason games, I don't have a good feel for the Redskins. The pass pressure, if anything, looks to be even fiercer than last year. And if that's a real observation, and not just something that looks like it in the preseason, it's not going to be that hard to develop quality players in the secondary.

On the other hand, the more I see of the Redskins offense, the more I'm convinced that its just not all that different from either of the last two years. I think Griffin should provide an immediate upgrade at quarterback as some of Grossman's INTs from 2011 turn into sacks or throwaways this season. And Trent Williams looks like a completely different player. But I feel like at 9 positions on the offense (everything except QB and LT), the Redskins aren't improved and in some cases have taken a step back.
Haven't been around the forums as much as I have in the past, but I am glad I can come on here and get a good laugh from Gtripp's insight of our teams situation still.

Good laugh..
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #17
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm in the "the Colts will rebound" club.

With that said, their defense has similar weaknesses to ours: too many guys running free in the secondary. Not enough Jerraud Powers and Antoine Bethea's back there.

Now having seen all three preseason games, I don't have a good feel for the Redskins. The pass pressure, if anything, looks to be even fiercer than last year. And if that's a real observation, and not just something that looks like it in the preseason, it's not going to be that hard to develop quality players in the secondary.

On the other hand, the more I see of the Redskins offense, the more I'm convinced that its just not all that different from either of the last two years. I think Griffin should provide an immediate upgrade at quarterback as some of Grossman's INTs from 2011 turn into sacks or throwaways this season. And Trent Williams looks like a completely different player. But I feel like at 9 positions on the offense (everything except QB and LT), the Redskins aren't improved and in some cases have taken a step back.
Tripp, couple thoughts on some rookies: Cousins, Gettis, and McRibeus? Also who would you start at the Z?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
No he hasn't.
Look at his numbers
He's a good player don't get me wrong but he's not even close to DWare, Suggs or Jared Allen.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #19
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Look at his numbers
He's a good player don't get me wrong but he's not even close to DWare, Suggs or Jared Allen.
Yep that's fair, but if I can get Matthews for Orakpo or Kerrigan, I don't hesitate.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Tripp, couple thoughts on some rookies: Cousins, Gettis, and McRibeus? Also who would you start at the Z?
I think LeRibeus has been awful.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Is this real life?

Last year we had Anthony Armstrong as our #2 wide receiver. He won't make this years team.

Last year we had John Beck for 3 1/2 games. He won't/shouldn't start another game int he NFL.

Last year we had Willie Smith starting a handful of games at LT. He won't make the team this year.

Did I mention Rex Grossman isn't starting?

I'm usually a pessimist compared to most people on here, but this statement is ridiculous.
I thought Jabar Gaffney and Santana Moss were our top two targets last year.

But to answer your point about the receivers, I think there's enough young talent on the roster to consider the position improved, but it's hard not to see that group taking a step back in the short term. The Redskins are financially invested in getting a big improvement from Garcon, which is probably going to require a lot of patience. Hankerson is close to breaking out, but I'm thinking he's not there just yet. And I like Aldrick Robinson and Anthony Armstrong, but it's pretty clear already that when the Redskins need a big conversion, Morgan, Garcon, and Moss will be on the field.

And while those guys should increase the team's YPA by breaking tackles and making plays after the catch, I don't know if they will fix the problems that the team has had on third downs the last two years.

Though if Trent Williams continues to cave in the right side of the defense on every play, I'm not sure we'll ever get to third down.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
I would start Hankerson and Moss and receiver, with Moss at the Z. Those are our two best receivers right now. If we still had Gaffney, then Hankerson, Moss, and Gaffney would be our top three.

I'm still not convinced Josh Morgan is 100% back though. I think he could fall in nicely as an offensive contributor as he gets healthier.

I think it is best if Cousins doesn't see the field this year. I think very highly of him long term. You see Russell Wilson torching the Chiefs? Well: #1, I didn't think that was a fluke, and #2 I'd much rather have Cousins long term. I also think RG3 is getting saddled with a lot of unfair expectations that Cousins isn't. I think either Griffin or Cousins could theoretically be a winning quarterback with the 2014 Washington Redskins, but Griffin is going to have to handle the pressure of winning with a not-that-great 2012 Redskins team.

I haven't really taken time to grade LeRibeus on his week to week development in the preseason so I have no specific comment on him. Gettis I don't think projects as a starter long term, but I think he's as good as Maurice Hurt already, and he's got more room to improve.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #23
JoLo
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Yep that's fair, but if I can get Matthews for Orakpo or Kerrigan, I don't hesitate.
Nobody is in Ware's category. He is going to go down as the best 3-4 OLB in history when its all said and done. Fastest player to 100 sacks ever (he still needs half a sack). But Clay plays a different position then suggs, he might not put up as many sacks because Suggs comes from the blindside while Clay plays strong side. So Clay is doing much more pass coverage on Tight ends. Clays pass coverage is as good as it gets for a OLB in the nfl
JoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #24
GTripp0012
Living Legend

What do you guys think of RG3 through the preseason? About expected? A little better than?
Old 08-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #25
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
What do you guys think of RG3 through the preseason? About expected? A little better than?
a lil better. Accuracy is better than expected. I think the longer throws will come with time.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
I would start Hankerson and Moss and receiver, with Moss at the Z. Those are our two best receivers right now. If we still had Gaffney, then Hankerson, Moss, and Gaffney would be our top three.

I'm still not convinced Josh Morgan is 100% back though. I think he could fall in nicely as an offensive contributor as he gets healthier.
What about Pierre Garcon?
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
What about Pierre Garcon?
I feel like Hankerson is closer to breaking out than Garcon. Garcon is probably going to lead the 2012 Redskins in highlight reel plays made (he's a much better bet to take one to the house than Moss is), but I feel like over a full season of playing every down, he's likely to be exposed.

On the current roster, I'd say Hankerson, then Moss, then probably Garcon is third best. I think I'm more excited about getting Josh Morgan healthy than Garcon, but right now (early in the season), Garcon needs to be getting those reps.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #28
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
a lil better. Accuracy is better than expected. I think the longer throws will come with time.
I'd agree. I think he's been mostly about expected, and at times, a little bit better.

In other words, I'd say he's looked like a top two pick in any given draft.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #29
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Griffin III played wonderfully in preseason. A 103.0 QB rating ain't bad.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #30
IrMitchell
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I feel like Hankerson is closer to breaking out than Garcon. Garcon is probably going to lead the 2012 Redskins in highlight reel plays made (he's a much better bet to take one to the house than Moss is), but I feel like over a full season of playing every down, he's likely to be exposed.

On the current roster, I'd say Hankerson, then Moss, then probably Garcon is third best. I think I'm more excited about getting Josh Morgan healthy than Garcon, but right now (early in the season), Garcon needs to be getting those reps.