Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

My evaluation of Shanahan starts now

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Re: My evaluation of Shanahan starts now

To me I think a lot of this depends on Danny Boy and his patiences & expectations. I feel we will go 7-9 this year realistically....we went 5-11 last year. With the upgrades I say we will get better by at least two games....if we win more I'll be happy of course. We have a suspect OL outside of Trent....secondary is suspect as well I felt a little better before the Jackson suspension he play pretty well this preseason. I do feel by RG3's second year we will go 9-7, and his 3rd year 11-5 two more wins each season I believe its realistic & do-able. Question remains what is Danny Boy's patience level & realistic expectations for the franchise to make a complete turnaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
rypper11
The Starter

The title messed me up. I was thinking Kyle not Mike. I think MS and Bruce have had a plan and I'm comfortable with the direction. IMO Kyle is still a weak link at playcalling. More games could have been won last year with better gameday calling. As much as Rex forces things and panics, I think KS does the same. With a stud (hopefully) at QB Kyle needs to show that he can run a gameplan.
If the CB's can hold a ball when it hits their hands then even it should be improved.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #18
53Fan
Franchise Player

I think the new talent on this team is gonna make shanny look pretty good. And RG3 is gonna make Kyle look more like the OC he appeared to be in Houston.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #19
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I think the new talent on this team is gonna make shanny look pretty good. And RG3 is gonna make Kyle look more like the OC he appeared to be in Houston.
Welcome back 53.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
44Deezel
The Starter

For the Skins to rank where they did on Offense with Rex and Becks under Center was a minor miracle. To blame play calling is a joke. Our QBs sucked, plain and simple.

The team has gone young and fast in a hurry. If RG3 can play, they will put up points. If not, they struggle. Not rocket science.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
53 coming back with a strong post. i agree, kyle has more to work with and he should come through.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #22
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Will it be a multi-cellular organism or will an amoeba do?
Only God can use organism as a verb.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #23
53Fan
Franchise Player

Thanks and glad to be back fellas. Looking forward to an exciting season of Redskins football. HTTR!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #24
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Only God can use organism as a verb.
Lol
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #25
30gut
Playmaker

Neither here nor there because I agree with your post but off the top of my head:

I recall Edwin Williams is the starting C for the Bears and their best OL per PFF (at least last year)

Chad Rinehart is a starting OG for the Bills w/ good rating per PFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Interestingly enough only 4 inherited players (Davis, Montgomery, Fletcher & Hall) are starters as well. Does this give an indication of just how bad of a team he inherited?

All that being said, this is the year I need to see the plan begin to come to bear fruit. I'm not looking for a 5-11 to 11-5 turnaround because I don't feel that's realistic with a rookie QB but these are now his player, his team, his roster composition. I'm not giving him a complete pass for '10 and '11 but I think from this point on is where we can really start to see if he is the coach and leader to take us to the postseason on a consistent basis.
I know its a sore subject for some.
But when you look at the roster and the front office that was in place its adds a better perspective about Zorn + Campbell's ability to field a decent passing offense and win as many games as Shanahan has thus far in the face of utter lack of talent.

But, I digress.....
I agree with your post 100%

Last edited by 30gut; 09-03-2012 at 01:52 AM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #26
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I like Shanahan as our coach, but I don't think much better of him. He still is showing his arrogance every so often whether its how he views his team, how he treats his players, or how he deals with the media.

I will say that he is light years beyond what we've had compared to Zorn (although the win record doesn't show it, which still concerns me). He is somewhat comparable to Gibbs in his second stint, but Shanahans going to be here in the long run, I believe, whereas Gibbs just wanted to be with us for a few years to make us relevant and get a little cash on the side along with getting Snyder to stop blowing up his phone about coming out of retirement and coaching again.

I will say though that I'm also upset with Shanahan in the sense that you see bad teams in the league become good overnight just by the coaching change. Perfect example is San Fran. 6-10 in 2010, to 13-3 the next year. Showing that yes, if you get the right coach you can become good just like that. Shanahan bought himself sometime by drafting RG3. But he can't keep giving excuses or trying to sell us on old players or piss poor starters are 'capable of winning.'

I just feel like Gary Kubiak is the reason for both Shanahan's success in this league (and John Elway). Kyle is just streaky as a play caller. He was great in Houston then comes here has problems with McNabb, endorses Beck, and now we're left with a still overrated OC. He better make RG3 good or else he'll be gone next year.

1 thing I do Love what Shanahan does is he's patient with the draft and FA and is a man with a plan. He doesn't pull the trigger on any player or offer Vinny Cerratto amounts of picks or money either. Perfect example is the other day. KS said he'd like to have Steve Slaton if he was available. Dolphins wanted AA and a pick for Slaton. Cerratto would have given them a 7th rounder and AA. Instead we waited, didn't budge, and low and behold, we cut AA and they cut slaton, we could have lost a pick if it wasn't for this smart regime.

Last edited by CultBrennan59; 09-03-2012 at 02:22 AM.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #27
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

I see big improvement in Mike Shanahan as a GM than he was in Denver. It's taken him three years to get the Redskins competitive. Offensively and defensive, this 2012 Redskin team could very well be a playoff team. The Redskins have enormous talent at every key position on offense now. The QB, RB, TE, WRs are all potential play makers. The offensive line while not the best in the NFL by far is solid enough and will only get better in time.

On the defense, the Redskins have play makers as well. Just like last year, the biggest weakness is in the secondary if a weakness does exist. The defensive line and linebacking corps are tough. It's hard to predict how many games the Redskins will win this season. But I doubt if the Redskins will be 6-10 and 5-11 like they were in 2010 and 2011. I look for big improvement.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #28
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Why Your Team Sucks 2012: Washington Redskins

Saw this what do you think. Makes some OK thoughts, but I think overall we must of cut him awhile ago and he never got over it.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #29
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
Why Your Team Sucks 2012: Washington Redskins

Saw this what do you think. Makes some OK thoughts, but I think overall we must of cut him awhile ago and he never got over it.
This article is 80% horse doo-doo. But, if you read it as satire, it has some funny parts. For example:

"He (Snyder) could hire Rich Kotite and dump a pound of anthrax in the center of the stadium and these idiots would remain blindly loyal. It's mystifying."

I laughed out loud at this observation because it's true - and we're damn proud of it!

"Never go to FedEx Field. Ever. Going to FedEx Field is like traveling 30 years into the future to catch a glimpse of America's eventual economic ruin. Biker gangs encircle you for minutes at a time. People are drinking pure ethanol. Women are tit-grabbed at every possible opportunity. It is perhaps the least welcoming environment on Earth."

He's apparently never been to an Eagles home game.

"DeAngelo Hall is like someone took all the worst parts of Asante Samuel's game and made an entire player out of them."

I wish I had thought of this first and posted it on The Warpath.

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 09-03-2012 at 08:16 AM.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #30
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I can at least entertain the argument that Shanahan has brought something important to the team that was lacking with Jim Zorn, even if it hasn't shown in the standings. But I think the discussion should begin there, and back with the decisions made two years ago that shaped this team to be the way it is today, and not with a total write off of the last two seasons.

The problem is that if the Redskins underachieve again this year and go 6-10, then some people are going to claim that no one could have seen that coming and we need a longer time period to evaluate Mr. Shanahan.

But the truth is: the reason that no one is picking the Redskins to win the division in Shanahan's third year is because we've seen over the last two years that things aren't different than they were under Zorn, so we're looking for small positive signs from RG3 et al, instead of big things from our football team.