RIP Art Modell

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: RIP Art Modell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
The Browns fans still got their team, so they need to get over it. It is not like they went years without a team like Baltimore. I don't think they have to praise Modell, but they don't have to be a$$holes about it. They made their point when he was alive (when it mattered), now they just need to get the F over it.
How would you feel if Snyder moved the team to LA? Even if Washington got a team back, would you be over it? I will give credit to Modell for letting Cleveland keep the "name" and "colors" of the franchise unlike Robert Irsay who took everything.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
How would you feel if Snyder moved the team to LA? Even if Washington got a team back, would you be over it? I will give credit to Modell for letting Cleveland keep the "name" and "colors" of the franchise unlike Robert Irsay who took everything.
I'd be pissed when it happened, but I wouldn't be crying about it years after we got another team. Especially if the city gets to keep the team identity.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
44 goes 50 gut

Quote:
I'd be pissed when it happened, but I wouldn't be crying about it years after we got another team. Especially if the city gets to keep the team identity.
Well good for you.
44 goes 50 gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Is someone here a Browns fan or from Cleveland or privy to all the happened before Modell left?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #20
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Is someone here a Browns fan or from Cleveland or privy to all the happened before Modell left?
Apparently so. Didn't know this was a Browns forum.
R.I.P. #21
Old 09-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
44 goes 50 gut

Quote:
Apparently so. Didn't know this was a Browns forum.
I mean would you rather it be one of those provincial forums where the fans only know anything about the home team and are kinda clueless about the rest of the league?

I'm no Browns fan, but I can sympathize.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
I mean would you rather it be one of those provincial forums where the fans only know anything about the home team and are kinda clueless about the rest of the league?

I'm no Browns fan, but I can sympathize.
I can sympathize with the Baltimore fans who did not have a team for 20+ years. And even they got a team the same way that they lost theirs. Browns fans got a team three years later. I am sure it sucks and they have every right to be pissed off when it happened and during those three years. But as I said, they need to get over it.
R.I.P. #21
Old 09-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
You want to know who Art Modell was? They canceled the Browns "moment of silence" at the request of Modell's family at the start of today's game because the family knew the Browns fans were going to tap dance on his grave on national TV. Honestly I suspect they will do their own Fan organized "showing of respect" all the same.

Allow me to entertain the politically incorrect view and put my self in the shoes of long suffering Browns fans. It's not so much that I am not big on polite respect for someone just because they died while also being a public figure. It's just that I can't pretend to care about some uber rich older person I don't actually know, who made it to a ripe old age, while enjoying a very long life of luxury and yes GREED at the expense of MILLIONS OF Rabid DIED HARD BROWNS FANS.

It's hard for skins fans to relate, but imagine if Snyder had been a cheap ass instead of well meaning but foolish; and for 30 MORE YEARS than he's owned the team currently; he runs the Skins like a cash cow with NO INTENTION OF COMPETING at a high level; making bad move after bad move (which is basically what he;s done for 13 years), even when occasionally accidentally being better... Culminating in moving the Skins to a city that is historically a rival of Washington Sports, then all of a sudden the franchise starts doing things right, because Snyder knows he wont get away with milking the new market.

I know most of you can't relate, it's impossible to actually understand decades of mostly pure suckitude, being the laughing stock of the NFL, and yet STILL BEING INSANELY DIE HARD FANS, only to be rewarded for your loyalty by watching your former franchise in a rival town become good.

It's like watching the con man who scammed your grammy's life savings drive off into the sunset with his middle finger pointing at you, And he's driving the amazing classic car Gramms kept for you in her garage that you were supposed to inherit.

When the Con man accidentally gets T-boned just as he goes over the horizon and dies in the wreck: polite respect for the recently departed is not on the slate. Pointing out that he once did something impactfull (which anyone could have thought of frankly) decades before becoming a heinous greedy douche bag doesn't change the fact that for SOME PEOPLE, fist pumps and high fives and return middle fingers are perfectly justified.
You cared enough to go on this rant.

Unless you (the collective you) know the whole story behind the Gateway Project you can't really pass judgement on moving the team.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #24
44 goes 50 gut

Quote:
I can sympathize with the Baltimore fans who did not have a team for 20+ years. And even they got a team the same way that they lost theirs. Browns fans got a team three years later. I am sure it sucks and they have every right to be pissed off when it happened and during those three years. But as I said, they need to get over it.
You tell um, I'm sure they'll see how silly they're being...

BTW have you ever known a Baltimore Colts fan? Ask them how they feel about it.

IMO your comments about quickly getting over a (hypothetical) Snyder move of the team are 100% pure bluster. It's easy to say what you would do when it's all hypothetical.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #25
44 goes 50 gut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You cared enough to go on this rant.
I think you mis read the context of what you bolded there, obviously I care that he was a greedy douche who doesn't really deserve the politically correct respect people give him in threads like this. I definitely care enough to DISLIKE Modell.

By I don't "pretend to care" I obviously mean feigning respect for him, or maintaining a put on sense of whats appropriate to say about the guy just because he passed away. Douches die too...
Old 09-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Again, unless you were privy to the details of the Gateway Project I think it's tough to pass judgement.

But I also don't go bananas over sports teams, so maybe I'm the wrong person to ask
Old 09-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #27
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
You tell um, I'm sure they'll see how silly they're being...

BTW have you ever known a Baltimore Colts fan? Ask them how they feel about it.

IMO your comments about quickly getting over a (hypothetical) Snyder move of the team are 100% pure bluster. It's easy to say what you would do when it's all hypothetical.
There's a big different between not having a team for 20 years and not having a team for 3 years. And I did say that I sympathize with the Baltimore Colts fan, b/c 20 years is a long time to not have football. So is 3 years, but that was 1996-1999, and that was a while ago.
R.I.P. #21
Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #28
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
The Browns fans still got their team, so they need to get over it. It is not like they went years without a team like Baltimore. I don't think they have to praise Modell, but they don't have to be a$$holes about it. They made their point when he was alive (when it mattered), now they just need to get the F over it.

Exactly. Browns fans should have been ecstatic that he left town giving them a chance at a new NFL team ran by another owner.

Quote:

Had you asked me this 5 years ago, I would have packed the man's bags for him and gave him some gas money to get the **** out of town. I would not have been upset one bit because I knew the NFL would put another team here and we'd most likely have a much better owner.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #29
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

NC_Skins wrote:
Had you asked me this 5 years ago, I would have packed the man's bags for him and gave him some gas money to get the **** out of town. I would not have been upset one bit because I knew the NFL would put another team here and we'd most likely have a much better owner.

And how long has LA been waiting for a franchise to return?

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #30
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
NC_Skins wrote:

And how long has LA been waiting for a franchise to return?
What are the issues against a team based in LA? Stadium revenues at the coliseum? Something Al Davis did?
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote