Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

At What Point will NFL Officiating Be Held Responsible

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-26-2018, 06:25 AM   #46
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Re: At What Point will NFL Officiating Be Held Responsible

How about last night's Viking's / Packers game? Dan Bailey was ran into on the 56 yard attempt and it knocked him over. No flag, but the instant replay showed it as clear as day.

Advertisements
Old 11-26-2018, 07:12 AM   #47
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Mark Carrier, Bruce Smith, Neon Deion. The sky was the limit!
At least those guys took their jobs seriously, even though they were past their primes. Jeff George was a complete and total waste and Snyder had such a hard on for him.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #48
metalskins
The Starter

The officials are humans and are not going to get the call right every single time. That being said, when it starts becoming a frequent occurrence that their calls directly affect the outcome of games, then that needs to be addressed.

I've seen it too many times in which a ticky tack call is made on a big defensive stop on third down, and it gives the opponents a first down. And then on the flipside, a blatant noncall on an obvious pass interference, which would have put the Redskins in comfortable game winning field goal range. That non call decided the game.

For a struggling team that's trying to keep their heads above water and outlast their mistakes, officiating can make or break them. We can say to counter bad officiating is to not make mistakes. But let's be realistic. McCoy is a backup, playing behind a patchwork offensive line, and playing with receivers who are largely underwhelming. And also not getting a big lift from the running game, because the offensive line can't create running lanes for Adrian Peterson. You start turning the ball over, you're going to lose ballgames. But to have opportunities to advance the ball and can't because of poor officiating, that's pretty tough.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #49
sandtrapjack
The Starter

There is nothing I despise more than seeing flags fly at will during the last 4 minutes of a one-score game. It means the officiating could decide the outcome. And that should be decided on the field of play.

So if we see a few 'non-calls' of some borderline offenses, I am okay with that as long as the players are allowed to play & decide the games outcome.

The more egregious, should of course be flagged always.

But in those last 4 minutes of play, it is not uncommon to see a DB get away with a brief/minor hold that he was flagged for in the 2nd quarter.

Anyone see the Giants/Eagles Sunday? When OBJ was held not once but TWICE on the same play? And no call was made.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #50
Back2RFK
Special Teams

I'm not a guy who jumps all over the refs but the two kicks got me thinking. Redskins missed the extra point which looked good. The camera angles they showed were not any help. I can't remember if it was an extra point or FG by Dallas that was also very close. Some how for the Dallas kick they had a camera angle right behind the goal post. Where was that angle when the Skins kicked. I know it would not have changed anything but seems like they were hiding something.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #51
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post
I'm not a guy who jumps all over the refs but the two kicks got me thinking. Redskins missed the extra point which looked good. The camera angles they showed were not any help. I can't remember if it was an extra point or FG by Dallas that was also very close. Some how for the Dallas kick they had a camera angle right behind the goal post. Where was that angle when the Skins kicked. I know it would not have changed anything but seems like they were hiding something.
For kicks above the uprights, if any part of the ball is outside of the goal posts, the kick is no good. The entire ball must pass between both uprights.

And it does not matter the camera angle on field goals....it is a not a revue-able play.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #52
MTK
\m/

The ref is right there looking straight up under the post, I didn't have a problem with the call
Old 11-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #53
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
There is nothing I despise more than seeing flags fly at will during the last 4 minutes of a one-score game. It means the officiating could decide the outcome. And that should be decided on the field of play.

So if we see a few 'non-calls' of some borderline offenses, I am okay with that as long as the players are allowed to play & decide the games outcome.

But in those last 4 minutes of play, it is not uncommon to see a DB get away with a brief/minor hold that he was flagged for in the 2nd quarter.

Anyone see the Giants/Eagles Sunday? When OBJ was held not once but TWICE on the same play? And no call was made.
If they're borderline calls, I understand. The issue is when it's an obvious offense that has to be called - especially if it's a personal foul call.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #54
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

yup!
Old 11-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #55
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Quote:
For kicks above the uprights, if any part of the ball is outside of the goal posts, the kick is no good. The entire ball must pass between both uprights.

And it does not matter the camera angle on field goals....it is a not a revue-able play.
You missed my point. On the skins extra point they showed crappy camera angles. On the Dallas kick they showed the angle from right behind the goal post. Why not the same angle for the missed Skins kick. The camera didn't move so they could have shown the better angle. I just find it strange.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #56
MTK
\m/

^ The missed PAT was from the usual TV angle right behind the posts. No idea what you're talking about. Can you post screenshots?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #57
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:

I think this could be addressed by having any and all calls that could have a significant impact on the outcome of the game that are made in the final 5 minutes of the game reviewed by the officials in NYC, at their discretion. No plays would be non-reviewable within that window.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #58
Meks
Pro Bowl

As you saw last night, again, never. Leagues a fucking joke.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #59
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

NFL has a clear bias to the teams they want to succeed, Dallas is the #1 profit to the league and when they win games it makes for better ratings. There is no fucking way u can sit here and tell me the refs just didn't see the helmet to helmet penalty or the ridiculous holding calls on M Thomas. Yeah they won the game but the refs helped a ton.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #60
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
NFL has a clear bias to the teams they want to succeed, Dallas is the #1 profit to the league and when they win games it makes for better ratings. There is no fucking way u can sit here and tell me the refs just didn't see the helmet to helmet penalty or the ridiculous holding calls on M Thomas. Yeah they won the game but the refs helped a ton.
Help me understand the logic.
Quote:
Dallas is the #1 profit to the league and when they win games it makes for better ratings.....
If there was any meat to this tell me why Dallas has been the most 'incredibly average' team since their last Super Bowl in 96? If what you allege were true, the Cowboys would be....well...the Patriots.

Quote:
There is no fucking way u can sit here and tell me the refs just didn't see the helmet to helmet penalty or the ridiculous holding calls on M Thomas. Yeah they won the game but the refs helped a ton.
Then explain why Dallas had twice as many penalties for twice as many yards as the Saints? New Orleans had 4 penalties, Dallas-8. Helmet-Helmet penalties usually get called on the field. If not, they are reviewed by the league at the conclusion of the league week. Teams send in their complaints on calls and the league reviews them. If a personal foul is substantiated in the review, the player is fined. Fines are handed down on Wednesdays. All I am saying here is if the officials don't get the call right on the field, the league normally gets it right on Tuesday.