Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #526
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: The Haskins Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Part of the reason he eats sacks is he doesn't move along in his read progressions quickly enough. Brees and Cousins are experts at going boom boom boom boom, they can get to the 4th target in the progression in 2 seconds.

Haskins takes 2 seconds per target (I'm making that up, but it feels that way). It's a sign he doesn't know the offense well.

Is it getting better, sure. But it's still not satisfactory. The rate at which he's improving isn't even satisfactory. I'm in the 'bust' camp.
This.

A perfect example of this is last weeks game, two plays, the TD pass to McLaurin and the Int late in the 2nd q. Late on both, on one the wr bailed him out, the other killed possible points.

With time hopefully he will improve on these things. It's not like it ain't correctable. I'd like to see him with a full off season and training camp being the starter before he's called a bust.

Advertisements
Old 12-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #527
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
This.

A perfect example of this is last weeks game, two plays, the TD pass to McLaurin and the Int late in the 2nd q. Late on both, on one the wr bailed him out, the other killed possible points.

With time hopefully he will improve on these things. It's not like it ain't correctable. I'd like to see him with a full off season and training camp being the starter before he's called a bust.
And he'll be on a rookie contract for at least three more years so there's no reason to do anything but continue to give him time.

But the key question for me, given our draft position, is this:

If Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, or Justin Herbert are available to us when we pick, would you pass them up and hope Haskins develops into what you want? Or do you snap up a new QB under the thinking that we don't know when we'll draft this high again and get a chance like this?

It's a huge question a new GM / President / Head Coach with Player Personnel (hopefully ANYBODY but Bruce) will have to answer.

I pull the trigger on the new QB, especially if it's Burrow. I'm not hanging my success or failure on the snail's pace development of Dwayne Haskins. I don't care if you keep Haskins and let him compete with a new draft pick, or you trade him away for pennies on the dollar. If I'm in love with a QB in this draft, I don't hesitate to cast Haskins aside like a pair of underwear with holes in the crotch.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #528
SunnySide
Playmaker

Cant we have him only responsible for reading one half of the field per play or ask him to only make 1 read and if its not there just immediately go to the checkdown/hot route?

Juts feels like we never have a clean/quick 3 or 5 step drop, the ball is out once the back foot hits sequence.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #529
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Per Gregg Rosenthal tweet:

Since taking over as the Washington starter in Week 9, Dwayne Haskins’ PFF grade is 17th out of 38 qualifiers.

Not great, not walk him off the plank bad either. Draft Chase Young or Andrew Thomas.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:23 AM   #530
SunnySide
Playmaker

Josh Allen is the closest comparable I can think of.

I have only watched a few of his games last year and this year but it seems like last year but they both:

- have a live arm
- a tad slow on the quick timing routes
- inconsistent accuracy
- stands well in the pocket
- progressions, can work through them but slow, needs time
- willing to scramble (bigger part of Allens game but Haskins has run much more than we thought)

This year Allen is playing better, more accurate on medium routes, more decisive on short quick hits, better situational awareness

I hope Haskins can take the next step like Allen did this year but credit to Bills for taking a smart approach.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #531
rocnrik
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
And he'll be on a rookie contract for at least three more years so there's no reason to do anything but continue to give him time.

But the key question for me, given our draft position, is this:

If Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, or Justin Herbert are available to us when we pick, would you pass them up and hope Haskins develops into what you want? Or do you snap up a new QB under the thinking that we don't know when we'll draft this high again and get a chance like this?

It's a huge question a new GM / President / Head Coach with Player Personnel (hopefully ANYBODY but Bruce) will have to answer.

I pull the trigger on the new QB, especially if it's Burrow. I'm not hanging my success or failure on the snail's pace development of Dwayne Haskins. I don't care if you keep Haskins and let him compete with a new draft pick, or you trade him away for pennies on the dollar. If I'm in love with a QB in this draft, I don't hesitate to cast Haskins aside like a pair of underwear with holes in the crotch.
I totally agree with this !!!!
Old 12-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #532
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I wonder what it would look like just based on his starts and not including the two mop up duty games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look where Kirk cousins is on that chart- near the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 12-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #533
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Per Gregg Rosenthal tweet:

Since taking over as the Washington starter in Week 9, Dwayne Haskins’ PFF grade is 17th out of 38 qualifiers.

Not great, not walk him off the plank bad either. Draft Chase Young or Andrew Thomas.
I would be interested how they use fun with numbers to come up with that as he is on the bottom or close to it in most all statistical categories.
In his 5 starts he has completed 55% of his passes, been sacked 22 times and averages 137 net passing yards a game and PFF claims that grades out as average? You can't be serious, utter nonsense.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #534
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
I would be interested how they use fun with numbers to come up with that as he is on the bottom or close to it in most all statistical categories.
In his 5 starts he has completed 55% of his passes, been sacked 22 times and averages 137 net passing yards a game and PFF claims that grades out as average? You can't be serious, utter nonsense.
I have no idea how PFF grades their games/players. But I know its a widely used tool. Not an end all/be all by any stretch. I'm sure there are other legit sources that have him lower. Just another tool to use.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #535
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
We don't look at stats while grading players, I can see how you would think its nonsense and fake but his grades are 17th in that span due to his QB Grades. Every throw is graded and say he has a game with 5 drops (he did) that doesn't hurt him but the completion % doesn't take that into consideration.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #536
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I have no idea how PFF grades their games/players. But I know its a widely used tool. Not an end all/be all by any stretch. I'm sure there are other legit sources that have him lower. Just another tool to use.
Players are graded by every snap they take via coaches film through 3 levels (the last being graded by former NFL/NCAA players or coaches) So say I grade a game by Haskins Sunday night, that gets looked over by a reviewer (former coach) then the final step is always Bruce Gradkowski who is our QB guy.

All 32 teams use the grading system and all D1 Power 5 schools as well
Old 12-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #537
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
We don't look at stats while grading players, I can see how you would think its nonsense and fake but his grades are 17th in that span due to his QB Grades. Every throw is graded and say he has a game with 5 drops (he did) that doesn't hurt him but the completion % doesn't take that into consideration.
Do the grades take sacks into consideration? Those are drive killers and most are on Haskins for holding the ball too long. Also every QB has drops. In fact his completion % should be lower if he would throw the ball away instead of taking sacks. What about his 137 net yards a game?
Old 12-13-2019, 08:57 PM   #538
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb/2019

DVOA and DYAR aren't the be all end all but I really like them because they account for more factors than most metrics and are 100% empirical.

AND both are adjusted for opponent.

They do not have a subjective component like QBR.

Haskins is dead last in both in DYAR by a huge margin and tied for last in DVOA with Josh Rosen.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2019, 08:59 PM   #539
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Do the grades take sacks into consideration? Those are drive killers and most are on Haskins for holding the ball too long. Also every QB has drops. In fact his completion % should be lower if he would throw the ball away instead of taking sacks. What about his 137 net yards a game?
Yes , if he has a clean pocket through his progression and still gets sacked that's a negative grade on him. Clean pocket for us consist of if he can get to his 2nd read, if he's hit before that 2nd read it's not a negative grade just given a 0 for the play.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #540
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Players are graded by every snap they take via coaches film through 3 levels (the last being graded by former NFL/NCAA players or coaches) So say I grade a game by Haskins Sunday night, that gets looked over by a reviewer (former coach) then the final step is always Bruce Gradkowski who is our QB guy.

All 32 teams use the grading system and all D1 Power 5 schools as well
How do all 32 teams use the grading system?

Specifically, how do the Redskins use the grading system?

And what evidence do you have to support that statement?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk