Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What is going to happen with Russell?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-05-2004, 11:01 AM   #1
jbcjr14
The Starter

What is going to happen with Russell?

Have we forgotten about this guy? Have other teams forgotten about Darrell Russell? Has Gibbs had some talks with this guy to get him back in line and sign a deal?

Russell, Griffin at the tackles would be a mean combo with Daniels and Kenechi (draft) at the ends would make a much improved DLine from last year with Wynn and Noble (if he comes back) rotating in from time to time.

Maybe I missed something, like we released Russell? I thought we told him to walk at the end of the season, but nobody has picked this guy up as far as I can tell!

:confused:
jbcjr14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-05-2004, 11:39 AM   #2
AnonEmouse
The Starter

One year contract not renewed. Might be re-signed by camp, if he shapes up? However, I don't think he's a Gibbs lind of guy - too much baggage.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:44 AM   #3
Defensewins
Playmaker

I seem to remeber Dexter Manley was a Gibbs guy and he is just getting out of jail.
What has happened to Daryl Gardner? Is he available? That guy was a load to block.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:53 AM   #4
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

jbcjr14:

I think that the fact that a former All-Pro defensive tackle who is a free agent and has generated no interest around the league says a lot about why the Redskins let him go in the first place. No one doubts Russell's skills on the field. There were always several major concerns about him:

1. He took off a lot of plays. Sometimes he'd take an entire defensive series off.

2. He was not a hard worker and always looked for ways to cut corners in drills and in training camp. In Oakland, that was OK because all you have to do is "Just win, baby." If everyone was asked to stretch for 30 minutes before practice, he'd stretch for 25. If everyone did ten reps on an agility drill, he'd do nine...

3. He did almost nothing in the off-season to stay in shape. He did not eat himself into a tub of lard, but he would always show up needing a month of hard work to get into top flight condition. Regarding him and "hard work", see #2 above...

4. He loves to "party". He was a "regular" at late-night clubs in California and it did not take him long to find the after-hours scene here in the DC area.

5. He has not always kept himself in the company of "model citizens".

If he ever decided that he wanted to be a HoF level player in the NFL and got rid of the "distractions" in his life, he would be an outstanding player. But he hasn't shown yet any inclination to do that.

If Joe Gibbs brings him to camp - I think that is a real longshot - my guess is that Russell will be on a very short leash and there will be a choke collar on the end of that leash. The smart money says that Russell and Gibbs won't be able to co-exist; and in that case, you can guess which one would have to leave town.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:04 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

I don't think he'll be back, but that's what Vinny said before Gibbs came in.

Everyone likes to think that Gibbs is some miracle worker that can turn anyone around. The difference between Manley and Russell is Manley never had a problem with not giving it his all on the field, the same can't be said for Russell.

The fact that nobody has picked him up is very telling.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:05 PM   #6
EEich
The Starter

There's no way I give him a signing bonus... He plays for his check week to week.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:47 PM   #7
Portis
Camp Scrub

ESPN is reporting this on Darrell Russell. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=1751618

# The Tampa Bay Bucs failed to land defensive tackle Darrell Russell last year, when the league lifted his 18-month suspension, but their success the second time around figures to be a lot better. ESPN.com has learned that Bucs defensive line coach Rod Marinelli flew to the Bay Area on Tuesday night, and huddled with Russell just after the start of the free agency signing period. Russell doesn't have a lot of teams interested in him, especially after he again demonstrated his lack of maturity during his fling with the Redskins in the second half of 2003, but he is said to have learned an important lesson from blowing that opportunity. The educated guess here is that he ends up with the Bucs, probably on a minimum salary contract, and probably for just one year.
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:22 AM   #8
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portis
ESPN is reporting this on Darrell Russell. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=1751618

# The Tampa Bay Bucs failed to land defensive tackle Darrell Russell last year, when the league lifted his 18-month suspension, but their success the second time around figures to be a lot better. ESPN.com has learned that Bucs defensive line coach Rod Marinelli flew to the Bay Area on Tuesday night, and huddled with Russell just after the start of the free agency signing period. Russell doesn't have a lot of teams interested in him, especially after he again demonstrated his lack of maturity during his fling with the Redskins in the second half of 2003, but he is said to have learned an important lesson from blowing that opportunity. The educated guess here is that he ends up with the Bucs, probably on a minimum salary contract, and probably for just one year.
Sound's a lot like what he said when he joined us, this guy was kicked out of football for 18 months almost went to jail, and then obtained another chance with us after all he went through, and the actual lesson that he learned is when we told him we wouldn't be signing him to another contract this year? he finally learned his lesson, what a joke! there is no way gibb's would have this guy around he want's guy's who want to work give 100% on the field and of good charactor this guy fit's none of the above, I don't believe it was ever a consideration, good luck tampa, don't motgage the house for this guy!
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:43 AM   #9
skins009
Impact Rookie

We should resign him to a one year deal. The guy is a hell of a talent. He just needs to get his head on straight.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:18 AM   #10
RedskinPete
The Starter

Have we forgotten about this guy? Have other teams forgotten about Darrell Russell? I really don't see him coming back. With his past then being let go during our season for breaking a team rule is not under what the new staff is looking for!!!!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:14 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

How many second chances does this guy need? LOL

He's out of the league for a while, gets his chance to come back and prove himself with us and he proceeds to blow that shot as well.

Sounds like a pattern to me. Let the Bucs have him.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote