Alex Smith to miss 2019 Season

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #46
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Re: Alex Smith to miss 2019 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
It would probably ensure that by 2020, the Redskins are searching for a new coach. Which, if the 'skins happen to "hit" upon one of the highly admired rookie QBs in the draft, then that might be a good bargaining chip for the next head coach.
I don't think anyone in this draft (who would be available at 15 or later) fit in this category. This is an incredibly weak QB class.

If we really want to attract a top head coach, we'll end this year with a terrible record and top 3 pick in next years draft. That will likely be more attractive to a new HC than anyone we draft this year.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #47
MTK
\m/

@SalaryCap101

Regarding #Redskins & Alex Smith, the prudent approach would be to defer a decision on Smith until 2020, at which time, they could do a Post June 1 termination, splitting the dead money over 2020 & 2021 when the cap will be 200M+ in both yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #48
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
@SalaryCap101

Regarding #Redskins & Alex Smith, the prudent approach would be to defer a decision on Smith until 2020, at which time, they could do a Post June 1 termination, splitting the dead money over 2020 & 2021 when the cap will be 200M+ in both yrs.

yup...this year will be tough with the cap, but not some much later with that approach.

I think Bruce and Dan gonna be in tank mode this season...I think that's the plan. Bruce doesn't believe we are that close, I think that was very typical Bruce Allen speech...its gonna be tank this year...and brand new regime starting 2020. That's my thinking right now.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #49
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Per Ben Albright @ NFLN

"Keep an eye in the QB merry go round, here.

If Tannehill goes to Cincy, Dalton could wind up in Washington."

IDK how this would happen but please NO
Old 01-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #50
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Per Ben Albright @ NFLN

"Keep an eye in the QB merry go round, here.

If Tannehill goes to Cincy, Dalton could wind up in Washington."

IDK how this would happen but please NO
I'd rather just draft a QB and roll the dice. But absent that, would you rather see us go for a Ryan Fitzpatrick? I mean the options are really shitty.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:33 PM   #51
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'd rather just draft a QB and roll the dice. But absent that, would you rather see us go for a Ryan Fitzpatrick? I mean the options are really shitty.
I guess if it was between Red rocket and the MMA fighter I'd go Rocket but I'd rather go QB in the draft.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #52
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
I guess if it was between Red rocket and the MMA fighter I'd go Rocket but I'd rather go QB in the draft.
Yeah that makes sense and that's where I am too. Though worth noting that this QB class isn't supposed to do much.

Hell of a year to have this happen to us.

But I'll just cling to the fact that nobody thought the Trubisky / Mahomes / Dashaun Watson class was all that great either and hope we catch lightning in a bottle. It's all we can do - if you get Andy Dalton or Ryan Fitzpatrick then you have no hope at all.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #53
MTK
\m/

All the free agent QBs are just meh.

Trading for someone like Tannehill or Dalton, double meh plus it would be a big cap burden.

Just go with Colt and Johnson and get a rookie in there somehow, I don't even care if it's a mid to late rounder.

Suck it up and admit we're probably looking at a top 10 pick next year.

Something scares me though, the idea that Snyder could be eager to make a big splash move. A move to get the offseason hype train rolling again. A move like trading up with the Raiders for Haskins.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #54
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Agree with both of u guys , I'd rather just face reality and lose 12 games next yr. Get a top 3 pick in 2020.

But we all know Dan is too stubborn to do that so he will probably trade up for Murray or something. Wouldn't shock me at all.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #55
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
All the free agent QBs are just meh.

Trading for someone like Tannehill or Dalton, double meh plus it would be a big cap burden.

Just go with Colt and Johnson and get a rookie in there somehow, I don't even care if it's a mid to late rounder.

Suck it up and admit we're probably looking at a top 10 pick next year.

Something scares me though, the idea that Snyder could be eager to make a big splash move. A move to get the offseason hype train rolling again. A move like trading up with the Raiders for Haskins.

What if Oakland lets Carr walk? They have an out in his contract this year...
Old 01-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #56
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
What if Oakland lets Carr walk? They have an out in his contract this year...
Well then, we commit 50 mil to the qb position this year and the hype train rolls again!

/pass.

I agree with the line of thinking that Snyder would never let the Skins waste a season even though the Alex Smith cap hit means we're down 21 mil in cap space this year.

If you look at it from his perspective, he has an apathetic fan base that is bleeding support from its' femoral artery (too soon?), a lame duck head coach and a team president that weighs about 80 Courics, not to mention a number of holes on the roster and a coaching staff desperate to bail this sinking ship. His plan for the offseason probably rests on "how do I get the hype train rolling again?"
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #57
Skinsfanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Agree with both of u guys , I'd rather just face reality and lose 12 games next yr. Get a top 3 pick in 2020.

But we all know Dan is too stubborn to do that so he will probably trade up for Murray or something. Wouldn't shock me at all.
If this is the route we choose, should we go ahead and cut Alex this year and bite the bullet.
Skinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #58
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinsfanatic View Post
If this is the route we choose, should we go ahead and cut Alex this year and bite the bullet.

Kevin Sheehan just said today on his podcast per his source the nuclear option isn’t on the table

Old 01-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #59
MTK
\m/

Alex Smith to miss 2019 Season

A couple of other things Sheehan mentioned today.

The team may look to spread out the guaranteed money due Alex over a couple more years. Of course Alex would have to agree to it, and the incentive may be more $. Even if they have to give him more money the logic here is the cap continues to rise and a new CBA or lockout in 2021 could significantly alter things too.

And the $12M insurance policy the team took out in case of a catastrophic injury can be applied against the cap if it’s determined he is unable to play. That’s not going to happen anytime soon but it could bring a nice chunk of cap relief.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #60
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
yup...this year will be tough with the cap, but not some much later with that approach.

I think Bruce and Dan gonna be in tank mode this season...I think that's the plan. Bruce doesn't believe we are that close, I think that was very typical Bruce Allen speech...its gonna be tank this year...and brand new regime starting 2020. That's my thinking right now.
This is the BS that pisses me off. All the fans want is honesty and an some recognition of what the plan is. The FO won't give us either.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote