Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

No indictment in the mike brown case

Debating with the enemy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Re: No indictment in the mike brown case

I understand not bringing charges, but I am surprised. I expected them to consider the mixed testimony enough to take this to trial, if not just to appease the people. I understand not wanting that circus around. Not taking a stance on right or wrong, just a thought.

Joe, when it comes down to your advice in dealing with officers given to your son, I have one issue. Being a lawyer, I'd think you'd also make sure he understood his rights and when to refuse officers. Never let them search your car. Never tell them anything more than basic information. Never give them your phone passwords and I'd recommend encrypting and powering off your device.
(Note: The police can force a biometric (e.g. fingerprint) out of you for your phone, but cannot force a passcode. Additionally, if you use an android phone Google can provide law enforcement the pattern you use, even if encrypted. Go with the numeric pin.)

Lastly, I hope that this case is still the impetus for some real changes to our police force. Personally, it scares me that their word is always taken as the truth in a court of law. I want to see body cameras on every officer with hefty penalties for the device being "broken" or "malfunctioning" during a controversial stop. These cameras quell the crazy on both sides of it. It'll help the officers keep their cool during stressful situations and will reduce citizens being aggressive towards police officers. We've been spending decades militarizing our police force - it's time to bring them back to being public servants.