Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

NFL Shootings

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
rypper11
The Starter

NFL Shootings

I know we've discussed it during the offseason but with the shootings last night I thought I'd readdress the topic. Putting up with drunk and obnoxious is one thing, but does the violence make you less inclined to every attend an NFL game?

I'm planning on going to the Panthers game in October but there is no way I'm bringing my kids.

NFL.com news: Police: Two shot in Candlestick Park lot after Raiders-49ers tilt

Advertisements
Old 08-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Re: NFL Shootings

dumbass fans -- i love the redskins with a passion but at some point people need to step back and realize that its just a game THAT YOU'RE NOT EVEN PLAYING!!

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'd never take a kid to an NFL game, I used to go to Saints games all the time and there was always fights in the stadium.. I know it happens everywhere but I'd rather watch from my house, last night was a joke of security at that game.. Are u kidding me? GUNS and people almost beaten to death? SAD
Old 08-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
GusFrerotte

Exactly, it is a game, an entertainment fix. Ultimately it is nothing more than a distraction like a movie. Yeah we are fans, but even if we lose, we aren't losing a damn thing in reality. Thing is the triggerman(men) were probably not in attendance and were just waiting outside to rob people or who know what. It would be hard to enter a NFL stadium with a gun anymore. At Ford Field it is like half the Detroit Police Dept is there doing the metal detectors or just patroling those areas.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I'd never take a kid to an NFL game, I used to go to Saints games all the time and there was always fights in the stadium.. I know it happens everywhere but I'd rather watch from my house, last night was a joke of security at that game.. Are u kidding me? GUNS and people almost beaten to death? SAD

Tho only problem I have ever seen at Lions games were fights due to alcohol. I think the NFL would be wise in actually considering dropping the damn beer companies and banning alcohol. A damn football or baseball game should be kid friendly always. I mean seriously, do you want half the adults in the crowd driving back home drunk?
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Tho only problem I have ever seen at Lions games were fights due to alcohol. I think the NFL would be wise in actually considering dropping the damn beer companies and banning alcohol. A damn football or baseball game should be kid friendly always. I mean seriously, do you want half the adults in the crowd driving back home drunk?
they'd be giving up an awful lot of money. and that's aramark/the stadiums, not the NFL, so most of the owners have a stake in beer sales.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
irish
Playmaker

I think I have been saying it for awhile now, NFL games are for taking the family, its for guys to get together with their buddies to party. No way would I ever take my wife or a kid to an NFL game unless I was sitting in a private box and even then I'd have to really think about it.

This stupidity is fueled by booze and by the team promoting this "fan as the 12th man" crap so it shouldnt surprise anyone (especially the teams that have promoted this) that the fans actually feel like they are part of the team and go berserk when the team loses or a fan of another team gets attacked in a booze fueled show of "team support".

There's no way the NFL will ban beer sales in the stadium, its worth too much $ to the owners. I can see them banning tailgating or allow tailgating without booze. I could even see them allowing tailgating if you go through the team to cater the food & drink (that way the amount of booze could be controlled). In the end the fans are going to ruin it for themselves.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Honestly, I think the lack of security is one of the biggest things.

I've been to a ton of Redskins games, I've never seen anything that outrageous (I prob only go to 1-3 games a year max)... but I've always thought how lax the security is. I really don't think there are many cops around either...

I mean these people are clearly idiots, but its the world we live in now...

Not really sure what my point is, but it's just getting ridiculous.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

College football games live > Pro football games live

I am fortunate to have a University in town which rates as one of the best football games to attend in the nation(tailgating is awesome). I've been to pro and to other college football, and pro football simply doesn't compare. I think a big portion of it is due to the fact that beer isn't served at the games (or allowed in), even though each campus has their own rules in regards to this. If you allow people to drink all day and continue to allow them to drink during the game, you are just asking for trouble.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

There are a few stadiums I'm rather hesitant to go to, just because of the type of people there... Oakland Raiders games (there've been at least a handful of stabbing incidents there), M&T Stadium.. because... well, it's Baltimore. I've been invited to a few Skins v. Eagles game and I know how stupid Philly fans get to the point of I won't even walk around in Philly with my Skins jersey on. You'd think as a female, people wouldn't get AS bent out of shape about it and give me so much hell. But I don't even risk it. It seems kind over the top, but after reading that incident last year about a Philly's fan barfing on some guy's kid, I figure better safe than sorry.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
College football games live > Pro football games live

I am fortunate to have a University in town which rates as one of the best football games to attend in the nation(tailgating is awesome). I've been to pro and to other college football, and pro football simply doesn't compare. I think a big portion of it is due to the fact that beer isn't served at the games (or allowed in), even though each campus has their own rules in regards to this. If you allow people to drink all day and continue to allow them to drink during the game, you are just asking for trouble.

Maybe they dont serve alchohol, however in my personally experience it seems the amount of drinking done outside of the stadiums is much more and for much longer at college games then at nfl games. At 9 dollars a beer im not really getting drunk inside the stadium.

I think the difference is the amount of opposing fans at nfl games vs. college games. The fans at college games are 95% home team. At NFL games it can be around 75% or in the case of fedex.... 50/50 sometimes.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
sandtrapjack
The Starter

My first thought was "Who ever feels the need to even TAKE a gun to a game, should just stay home".
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I wonder what ever happend to this:

Green Bay police not sure if guns will be allowed at Lambeau | ProFootballTalk
Old 08-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
There are a few stadiums I'm rather hesitant to go to, just because of the type of people there... Oakland Raiders games (there've been at least a handful of stabbing incidents there), M&T Stadium.. because... well, it's Baltimore. I've been invited to a few Skins v. Eagles game and I know how stupid Philly fans get to the point of I won't even walk around in Philly with my Skins jersey on. You'd think as a female, people wouldn't get AS bent out of shape about it and give me so much hell. But I don't even risk it. It seems kind over the top, but after reading that incident last year about a Philly's fan barfing on some guy's kid, I figure better safe than sorry.
I have been to M&T many many times and with my Skins gear on, best stadium experience i have ever had. no one gave me trouble. I feel safer there then FedEx.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Maybe they dont serve alchohol, however in my personally experience it seems the amount of drinking done outside of the stadiums is much more and for much longer at college games then at nfl games. At 9 dollars a beer im not really getting drunk inside the stadium.

I think the difference is the amount of opposing fans at nfl games vs. college games. The fans at college games are 95% home team. At NFL games it can be around 75% or in the case of fedex.... 50/50 sometimes.

The college game day experience is much safer. I don't think it matters who you are rooting for. I have seen plenty of Skins fans vs. Skins fans.