Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

DeAngelo Williams may be done with the Panthers

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

DeAngelo Williams may be done with the Panthers

Anyone intrigued about the thought of him possibly landing here next year?

ProFootballTalk.com

Advertisements
Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Re: DeAngelo Williams may be done with the Panthers

Only for the right price. I don't want to blow our FA wad on a RB before seriously addressing the interior of the O-line this offseason.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Vet min!

Seriously though, I'd lean toward looking elsewhere first if we even need to. I'd be content developing Torain and Williams and keeping Portis one more year
Old 11-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Vet min!

Seriously though, I'd lean toward looking elsewhere first if we even need to. I'd be content developing Torain and Williams and keeping Portis one more year
Totally agree. If there's anything Shanny proved in Denver, he can take no-name running backs and turn them into 1000 yard rushers once he has the right personnel for his zone blocking scheme.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Anyone intrigued about the thought of him possibly landing here next year?

ProFootballTalk.com

I live in Charlotte NC and have watched this guy the last four years. He is a dynamic runner which home run ability. Tough runner. problem is he has had some injury problems. He never seems to stay healthy. That being said, he will get top dollar in the FA market. He is 28, with minimal carries due to the Panthers having two very capable runners. He should have 2 to 3 pretty productive years left. I am not sure we should give him the money required for a guy that only has a couple good years left. But wouldn't be upset if he came here. The guy is pretty damn good.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Vet min!

No way...our running game has struggled now for two consecutive years. Injuries, age, Oline...Torain, K Williams, and Portis are all pretty slow. Id like to see more of a weapon in the backfield. Id for us to keep both Torain and K. Williams, but these guys are not primary backs in this league.

D Williams is def worth a look, my preference would be to land Jamal Charles in KC. I dont think he has signed an extention and in the last year of his deal. The guy is a flat out stud, fast, and is a great reciever out the backfield.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

DW is going to be big $$. Of course we need to upgrade the OL first and foremost, and it's nice for a change to actually have faith the front office is on the same page in that regard. Still, we definitely need to upgrade at RB as well.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
No way...our running game has struggled now for two consecutive years. Injuries, age, Oline...Torain, K Williams, and Portis are all pretty slow. Id like to see more of a weapon in the backfield. Id for us to keep both Torain and K. Williams, but these guys are not primary backs in this league.

D Williams is def worth a look, my preference would be to land Jamal Charles in KC. I dont think he has signed an extention and in the last year of his deal. The guy is a flat out stud, fast, and is a great reciever out the backfield.

Now I could go for Jamall Charles. dude is flat out a stud and for whatever the damn reason, Haley doesn't get him involved as much as you would think. They have Thomas Jones, so the split the carries, but Charles is a game changer with his speed, homerun ability, catching the ball...love to have that guy
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
DW is going to be big $$. Of course we need to upgrade the OL first and foremost, and it's nice for a change to actually have faith the front office is on the same page in that regard. Still, we definitely need to upgrade at RB as well.

Knowing MS and his belief in the system he will feel like he can find a diamond in the rough vs. paying big dollars to Williams.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

There are quite a few backs potentially available this offseason, Addai, Michael Bush, Jerome Harrison, LeRon McClain, Ronnie Brown, Jarious Norwood, Marshawn Lynch, Darren Sproles, etc.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
freddyg12
Playmaker

The economics of FA rb's is just not good under the current cba. On the flip side, drafting rb's is good cost/benefit. It's one position that does make sense to draft in the 1st or 2nd rounds if you think the guy can start right away. Paying a rookie rb a lot makes sense cause they can contribute immediately, unlike wr's & DEs that usually take a few years to develop, then start to play best at the end of their contract. Of couse rb's that are mid to late round picks that make the team are great value.

Given that Allen is a money ball guy & Shanny has a knack for finding mid to late rounders, I would think DW would not be on their wish list. Most rbs don't have better years beyond their rookie contract. Not saying he couldn't make it happen when healthy, but at 28 he's close to his ceiling & each injury speeds up the downward spiral.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Raw0114
Camp Scrub

Hopefully we are going into this offseason with the intent to better the team and not buy into big names. I personally would be all for the whole no name youth movement. Lets take young players and make them worth some value and not sign value players just to watch there value depreciate in D.C.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
scott.sharrer
Camp Scrub

The blogger for the local paper here did an article on RBs in the upcoming FA and in it he stated that after researching the last 10 years, HE believes this will be the best FA group of running backs in the last decade. But that is his opinion, not sure yet if I fully agree. I do know though that there are a good number of starting capable RBs who should hit the market depending on the new CBA
scott.sharrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
There are quite a few backs potentially available this offseason, Addai, Michael Bush, Jerome Harrison, LeRon McClain, Ronnie Brown, Jarious Norwood, Marshawn Lynch, Darren Sproles, etc.
I would be all for Bush or Harrison. I'd say No to Williams, he's pretty good but he's injury prone and we need a consistent RB. Maybe Choice will be cut in Dallas.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I guess I am wanting to see what K Williams and Torrain can do. Clearly we might need to pick up another running back with Torrains health issues, but overall I would rather focus on interior OL and (ugh) WRs in terms of the offense.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote