Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #46
53Fan
Franchise Player

re: Mega-Merge: 2010 Free Agency Rumors and Reports Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
Has anyone heard much about us looking to pick up Peppers? I know that our name gets thrown into most the the FA rumors because we are always looking to "make a splash," but it is briefly metioned in the Haynesworth post below.

Redskins Insider - Haynesworth is the key in Redskins' use of 3-4 defense
All I've read is some in the organization think he could get a lot of sacks for us.

Advertisements
Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #47
MTK
\m/

A front 7 with the likes of Haynesworth, Orakpo, and Peppers? Ouch
Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #48
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Peppers, not interested...take that money, and its gonna be a ton, and spend it on some offense or bank it for the following year.

He Gets Us
Old 03-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #49
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

^ wrong! Spend the money now in an uncapped year and make the contracts front loaded in order to make them cap friendly in subsequent years.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #50
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

^your right, this is the missing piece to put us in the playoffs

He Gets Us
Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #51
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
^your right, this is the missing piece to put us in the playoffs
I don't think anyone would say we are one piece away from being a consistent contender, and I am not a big advocate of getting Peppers. But, with that said, there is no salary cap this year, that will be a fact in 4 days, and so there is very little in the way of cap math, even if it comes back, no definitive word has been uttered about how 2010 deals would be dealt with. I really wouldn't be surprised to see more of a luxury tax, rather than a hard cap. The proper question to ask when considering any FA player, and especially the big names, is how likely is it that this guy will play all out game in and game out. Is he a baller, or a guy who just wants to get paid. I don't think we can know that answer, but that's where the FO and HC due diligence comes in.
For Peppers, I think he absolutely just wants to get paid, and I would not bring him in at nearly any salary.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #52
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I don't think anyone would say we are one piece away from being a consistent contender, and I am not a big advocate of getting Peppers. But, with that said, there is no salary cap this year, that will be a fact in 4 days, and so there is very little in the way of cap math, even if it comes back, no definitive word has been uttered about how 2010 deals would be dealt with. I really wouldn't be surprised to see more of a luxury tax, rather than a hard cap. The proper question to ask when considering any FA player, and especially the big names, is how likely is it that this guy will play all out game in and game out. Is he a baller, or a guy who just wants to get paid. I don't think we can know that answer, but that's where the FO and HC due diligence comes in.
For Peppers, I think he absolutely just wants to get paid, and I would not bring him in at nearly any salary.
Very well put. I agree.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #53
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
All I've read is some in the organization think he could get a lot of sacks for us.
Right now, any move that's made by this current front office gets a pass for me. It could be an absolutely insane move, but the fact that we have real football people in charge will get the benefit of the doubt from me for at LEAST a year before I start really questioning moves made after that.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #54
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I hear ya, yeah it just has generally disgusted me the last 10 years to see guys get grossly over paid here and not perform. We have quite a history, and we all should know now the definition of insanity.

Peppers signing would still signal that continum. I think he wants to get paid and basically will not live up to the contract. To Malcom's point though, I still feel better about Allen and Shanny making the decision rather than the old. Pass given if we do the signing...but seriously lets get some Olinemen and some young running backs...Hail

He Gets Us
Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #55
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Peppers, not interested...take that money, and its gonna be a ton, and spend it on some offense or bank it for the following year.
Yep cause next year were going to the SB.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #56
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I hear ya, yeah it just has generally disgusted me the last 10 years to see guys get grossly over paid here and not perform. We have quite a history, and we all should know now the definition of insanity.

Peppers signing would still signal that continum. I think he wants to get paid and basically will not live up to the contract. To Malcom's point though, I still feel better about Allen and Shanny making the decision rather than the old. Pass given if we do the signing...but seriously lets get some Olinemen and some young running backs...Hail
Still overpaying only really hurts in a salary cap environment, so even if we were to pay out a lot for Peppers, it's not the same thing, because we aren't by design limiting our other options. Now it should be more about getting the right combination of talent and building a TEAM, regardless of big or small price tag. So if Peppers comes with a high price, he still has to know that he is under the same accountability to the DC, the HC, and the Team as any other player. If not, than that will be the same old same old.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #57
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Warrior View Post
Source: Arizona Cardinals will release Antrel Rolle this week - ESPN

Rolle will be a free agent he and Landry would make a nice tandem.

WHAT? Landry is terrible! We would trade him but we couldn't even get a 4th for him. He wouldn't start on half the teams in the league!!!!

I don't that signing him alone would add up to many more victories but I wouldn't be upset with it.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #58
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Landry wouldn't start on half the teams in the league? We tried to trade him and no one would give us a 4th round pick for him?

I find all of that hard to believe.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #59
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
I think the days of us paying everybody big bucks are over. (I hope they are.)
You and me both.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #60
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Landry wouldn't start on half the teams in the league? We tried to trade him and no one would give us a 4th round pick for him?

I find all of that hard to believe.
I know. A fourth is a whole lot better than a ham sandwich.