Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Thread Hell

Does anybody believe in the "Redskins curse"?

Thread Hell

Old 08-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #31
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

Re: Does anybody believe in the "Redskins curse"?

ahh but a curse is a curse m'lady..(bows graciously)

Advertisements
Old 08-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #32
hesscl34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
The Redskins suffer from the curse of inconsistency. Always have and probably always will.
They need a true leader, and they don't have one... they haven't had one for years.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #33
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
They need a true leader, and they don't have one... they haven't had one for years.
How about Gibbs?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #34
hesscl34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
How about Gibbs?
Gibbs wasn't on the field.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #35
Dogtag
Special Teams

Sorry - no curse. Injuries are an unpredictable part of the game and poor gametime performance is just that.

My mother can claim Cherokee Nation (Eastern Band) heritage but I'm only 1/64th Cherokee and therefore have no claim. I called her up in North Carolina and asked her about the curse - she just laughed. She did say Go 'Skins.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #36
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Mods - to thread hell and step on it.

One of the most storied franchises in league history, and now there's a curse? Give me a break. 3 Super Bowl Wins + 2 NFL Championships in 10 appearances. Players like Baugh, Taylor, Mitchell (both), Jurgensen, Huff, Kilmer, Brown, Krause, Green, Monk, Theismann, Mann, Coleman, Butz...coaches like Flaherty, Lambeau, Graham, Lombardi, Allen, Gibbs.

All franchises have their ups and downs, and some can't ever seem to get it together. But the Redskins certainly aren't cursed by any means...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
Old 08-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #37
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobylookalike View Post
It's not a curse. The Redskins are not a good organization. We have had to overcome Snyder's impetuousnesses and are now, hopefully, building on the future. However, watching Zorn in the past two games has me wondering if Snyder made another bad decision.
Wasn't there some coach here a while back who many questioned why JKC hired him, he opened his tenure at 0-5 (regular season games), the fans and media were calling for his head, and ultimately that situation turned out pretty good.....
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #38
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

dude if zorn repeats what gibbs does ill be amazed..im not saying he wont be good.
but i think it will take alot more time. Hes got to get the players to "fight their guts out" for him first..probably the only good thing about maybe williams getting the job over him..the players immensely respected and would go to war for him...with zorn it remains to be seen
Old 08-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #39
hesscl34

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtydoubter View Post
dude if zorn repeats what gibbs does ill be amazed..im not saying he wont be good.
but i think it will take alot more time. Hes got to get the players to "fight their guts out" for him first..probably the only good thing about maybe williams getting the job over him..the players immensely respected and would go to war for him...with zorn it remains to be seen

Seeing Williams talk to Kelly after the game last night made me cry.. I really think Snyder messed up there and Williams should be our coach...
Old 08-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #40
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

dude i think williams would have bothced the job...he is too martyesque...hes a good guy, i love him to death..but we need somebody young, and exciting that can grow with this team
Old 08-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #41
BringBackJoeT
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Mods - to thread hell and step on it.

One of the most storied franchises in league history, and now there's a curse? Give me a break. 3 Super Bowl Wins + 2 NFL Championships in 10 appearances. Players like Baugh, Taylor, Mitchell (both), Jurgensen, Huff, Kilmer, Brown, Krause, Green, Monk, Theismann, Mann, Coleman, Butz...coaches like Flaherty, Lambeau, Graham, Lombardi, Allen, Gibbs.

All franchises have their ups and downs, and some can't ever seem to get it together. But the Redskins certainly aren't cursed by any means...
Seriously, I'm surprised it's been allowed to last this long (even though I'm doing nothing to cut it short by weighing in).

This idea of a "curse" is what you begin to think when: (1) you take the ups and downs of your favorite sports team too seriously, and (2) you have an inflated view of your team's position in the sports universe.

"Curses" have become unfortunately popular thanks to the over-the-top promotion of the supposed Bambino curse on the Red Sox by media franchises bent on milking the Yanks-Sox rivalry for all it is worth. That talk is now over, thankfully. We don't need revivals of such stupidity going forward. Seriously. There are a number of teams in the NFL that have never made it to a Super Bowl, let alone won one. And there are other teams in other sports that have endured strings of bad luck without any silly "curse" discussions. The Pittsburgh Pirates, for example, are careening toward an MLB record-tying 16th consecutive losing season. No mention yet of a Blackbeard curse, because that would be idiotic, when you stop to consider the real-life factors that are at the heart of the Pirates' problem. Same for all other teams in all other sports that have endured hard times.

C'mon, this is just dumb.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #42
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

What if by locking it we anger the curse gods even more?? Aaaaahhhhh!!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #43
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtydoubter View Post
Just wondering if anybody actually took the notion seriously that the native americans have cursed the redskins in the past 10 plus years...
lame thread i know but some spooky things have happened..

1. we get the best defensive player in the league and he passes away (RIP)
2. players that have been superstars elsewhere have been complacent here.
3. limited playoff appearances, with no sucess
4. spurrier "5-11 not very good"
5. our never ending qb carousel.
6. cap problems
7. injuries sometimes in a freakish manner when it appears we are n the cusp.

i could go on and on.
should we repent?
Maybe not such a lame thread. Amazingly the same seven spooky things continue. And the list does go on and on.

found this in thread hell.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #44
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
Maybe not such a lame thread. Amazingly the same seven spooky things continue. And the list does go on and on.

found this in thread hell.

No, it's still a lame thread. We aren't cursed. We just have had bad people running this organization (including Gibbs) over the past 12 years. That crap where other people shine elsewhere and come here only to be complacent. The reason to that is most of the time we are trying to fit square pegs in circle fittings. A person that's fantastic in one scheme, might not be remotely as good in another scheme. That's been our biggest downfall is thinking we can just get anybody at a position and plug them in and be instant all-stars.

Your players should fit the scheme you are trying to run. (both offense and defense)