Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Baltimore riots

Debating with the enemy

Old 04-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #31
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Baltimore riots

A good read about the systematic police brutality that's gone on in Baltimore for quite some time.

Freddie Gray Is Only the Latest Apparent Victim of Baltimore Police Violence - The Atlantic
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #32
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

My co-worker's ex-boyfriend died in February in Baltimore City police custody over unpaid child support.

He had an asthma attack and was denied his inhaler.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #33
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Give some serious props to this mom. Her reasoning is even more sound.

Baltimore mom who smacked son during riots: "I don't want him to be a Freddie Gray" - CBS News

Conservative media is way too predictable in this situations. They'll show a handful of incidents and then paint the whole movement as a bunch of "animals" wanting a "handout". You got to respect these gang members for at least standing up for the truth.

Gang members deny police claims of truce to ‘take out’ white cops: ‘They’re saying we’re animals’
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 04-28-2015, 09:43 PM   #34
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

18 minutes til curfew. People seem to think pure pandemonium is going to break out.

I think it'll be alright.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:33 PM   #35
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

What kind of bush league shit is the Baltimore City Paper. Check this crap out.

The Corruption of City Paper (Baltimore) - Album on Imgur

Slandering a poor girl as trying to rob one of the looters, and other BCP staff falsifying stories. The hell has happened to journalism these days?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:32 PM   #36
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
18 minutes til curfew. People seem to think pure pandemonium is going to break out.

I think it'll be alright.
Glad you were right. I felt the bad apples were going to make there presence known. Glad I was wrong

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #37
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

For all their institutional flaws (and there are many), the Baltimore Police department handled last night's curfew in an exemplary manner.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #38
over the mountain
Playmaker

a lot of admiration for the BCPD for their restraint, for their seemingly true interest in dialogue with the community, for their willingness to stand there at times and take verbal abuse/complaints.

a lot of admiration for the people in druid hill and surrounding areas. to come out the next day and reclaim your neighborhood. to do volunteer clean up. to make yesterday a positive community vibe. people were grilling hot dogs, doing drum circles, dance groups were brought in.

a lot of admiration for the local community leaders. its seems they have truly tried to reject the outside forces of shabaz malik and even al sharton. the local leaders really played a large role in getting out the right message.

of course, we await the announcement of charges or no charges. then things may get very ugly.

but for right now, for yesterday, baltimore as a community responded.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #39
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Jon Stewart wins again.

Stewart Goes Off: Maybe We Should’ve Cared About Baltimore Before It Was ‘On Fire’ | Mediaite

Going to miss him.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #40
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Conservative media is way too predictable in this situations. They'll show a handful of incidents and then paint the whole movement as a bunch of "animals" wanting a "handout". You got to respect these gang members for at least standing up for the truth.

Gang members deny police claims of truce to ‘take out’ white cops: ‘They’re saying we’re animals’
Between gangs and the media, who is telling the truth? They are both liars, but at least the media isn't smashing windows and looting.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:30 PM   #41
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
Between gangs and the media, who is telling the truth? They are both liars, but at least the media isn't smashing windows and looting.
What does one have to do with the other? Also, how do you know the gangs are lying?

Are we now holding news outlets to the same standards of gangs and rioters? I don't know about you, but I demand more from people who claim to present news.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:33 AM   #42
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
What does one have to do with the other? Also, how do you know the gangs are lying?

Are we now holding news outlets to the same standards of gangs and rioters? I don't know about you, but I demand more from people who claim to present news.
You're the one calling out the "conservative" media, while saying gang members are "standing up for the truth". That's disgusting on your part, NCSkins.

Let's keep in mind which group engages in violence as part of being in a gang, and which group is reporting on it. Mmmm'kay? Do you think gang members will engage in extortion, intimdation, and murder, but recoil at fibs? While at least the press can be judged for what they say on public broadcasts.

Blaming the media instead of the people actually rioting, gang members or otherwise, is again disgusting on your part NCSkins. It's not just a "handful of incidents" as you posted either, or do you think some warpath members HERE are part of a "conservative media" too?

SMH
Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #43
over the mountain
Playmaker

Six officers charged in death of Freddie Gray - Baltimore Sun

murder 2 and other charges against 6 BC police officers.

that cant make BCPD happy.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #44
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
Six officers charged in death of Freddie Gray - Baltimore Sun

murder 2 and other charges against 6 BC police officers.

that cant make BCPD happy.
No, but seems like the right thing to do, which presumably most of the BCPD would favor even when it hurts like now. I don't see how you sever your own spinal cord unless you can hang yourself, which wasn't the case with Grey.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #45
over the mountain
Playmaker

http://s3.documentcloud.org/document...-documents.pdf

^^^ the charging document for the van driver accused of 2nd degree murder which requires "malice aforethought" .... knowing and intentional disregard for human life.

if you fire a gun into a crowd of people, that is 2nd degree murder. You did not intend to kill any particular person but you knew your actions would likely result in grave bodily harm and/or death to another.

apparently this new order that all arrestees who are handcuffed have to also be secured in a transport van was given 1 week prior.

AT MOST this is negligence. im not even sure it is criminal negligence. Just pure civil negligence.

Joe, if you can comment - would governmental/discretionary immunity apply to a criminal case like this? i imagine not but ive been surprised what the courts have swept under the govt/discretionary immunity clause.
---------------------------------------------

the charging documents say that Gray surrendered after a foot chase. i thought witness accounts said he was tackled.

my theory is that Gray was tackled and that is when he suffered a partially severed cervical which would allow some function below the level of the injury. he was in a foot chase and adrenaline would cause his neck muscles and soft tissue to harden and hold the cervical spine somewhat in place. the video of him being placed in van shows a person with weak, partial loss of control of his lower extremities, non-weight-bearing legs. the guy clearly had a partial paralysis injury at that moment imo.

a few minutes later, flopping around in a van, some adrenaline wears away = fully severed c spine.

i also find odd the very last sentence of the charging document - the Md State Examiner says Mr. Gray suffered a fatal injury while Gray was unrestrained by a seat belt in the custody of a BDP wagon.

To my understanding an examiner can not say what the factual cause was. The examiner can state what they observed.

Here the charging document walks a fine line. It does not say the Examiner said the fatal injury was caused bc Gray was an unrestrained occupant. It says that the fatal injury was sustained at that time.

I know in a rape trial, the SAFE examiner can say he/she saw vaginal tearing but cannot say such tearing was a result of non-consensual intercourse and cannot say such tearing is consistent or common with non-consensual intercourse.

State Atty greatly overcharged and I think they have the mechanism of injury wrong.

the defense should be easy. They can have a zillion experts/police officers opine that prisoners constantly complain of injury where there is none and that the officers actions, while negligent and unsympathetic, was not done in disregard to human life. it was not depraved indifference. the officers did not actually know Gray had a serious injury. To them it was transport just like any other.

imo, only knowing the bits of news here and there, this will not end well for States Atty office. they dont even know for certain the cause of injury. they are speculating it had to happen in the van. as an officer, i believe they do have an affirmative duty to provide care for injured and the officers clearly did not take his situation seriously ..... but is that malice aforethought?

you have to prove the officers had the specific knowledge that (1) gray had a life threatening spinal cord injury; (2) that they knew that death was foreseeable if they put him in the van handcuffed but not seat belted; and (3) they did it anyway bc they did not care if he lived or died.