Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #16
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

I would put out trade offers and see what we can get for him. We need to start doing business like the Patriots. He has two years left on his deal, he's 30 and never healthy. I'm fine w/moving on from him a year early over a year too late. It sucks but it's business.

Advertisements
Old 06-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #17
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If they can make the numbers work I'm all for paying him. He's a top LT. Anyone who says otherwise is a moron. But if there's a legit trade offer you'd have to consider it.
Fuck him! I wouldn't pay him shit and it's mainly because how he went about this whole thing. Why didn't he start talking about his contract at the end of last season? Why didn't he bring it up a month ago? What about a week ago? He's not a top LT. Don't insult my intelligence because I'm calling it how it is. This dude is no longer and elite talent. I say trade him away. Anyone thinks this dude is anything but average is blind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I would put out trade offers and see what we can get for him. We need to start doing business like the Patriots. He has two years left on his deal, he's 30 and never healthy. I'm fine w/moving on from him a year early over a year too late. It sucks but it's business.
I couldn't agree with you more. We need to get rid of this bum right now!
Old 06-04-2019, 04:03 PM   #18
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
Fuck him! I wouldn't pay him shit and it's mainly because how he went about this whole thing. Why didn't he start talking about his contract at the end of last season? Why didn't he bring it up a month ago? What about a week ago? He's not a top LT. Don't insult my intelligence because I'm calling it how it is. This dude is no longer and elite talent. I say trade him away. Anyone thinks this dude is anything but average is blind.

I couldn't agree with you more. We need to get rid of this bum right now!
Please stop
Old 06-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #19
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Please stop
Stop telling the truth? I'm sorry, but I can't do that. Let me ask a few questions. What does TW do so great? Do we run the ball better when he's out there? No! Do we pass protect better when he's in there? Hell no! I say let him go RIGHT NOW!
Old 06-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #20
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Stop telling the truth? I'm sorry, but I can't do that. Let me ask a few questions. What does TW do so great? Do we run the ball better when he's out there? No! Do we pass protect better when he's in there? Hell no! I say let him go RIGHT NOW!
Both of those are false lol Stop trolling man
Old 06-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #21
sandtrapjack
The Starter

The offseason is always the season of holdouts somewhere. Why do players holdout in June? Because they are not getting paid in June. Once paychecks/game checks are missed, you would be surprised how quickly that holdout ends.

His holdout means nothing but a trend on Twitter and he won't get injured in OTAs. Thats it. Means nothing, nadda, zip.

Only take his holdout seriously if he is still holding out week 1 of the regular season.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:15 PM   #22
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
The offseason is always the season of holdouts somewhere. Why do players holdout in June? Because they are not getting paid in June. Once paychecks/game checks are missed, you would be surprised how quickly that holdout ends.

His holdout means nothing but a trend on Twitter and he won't get injured in OTAs. Thats it. Means nothing, nadda, zip.

Only take his holdout seriously if he is still holding out week 1 of the regular season.
Agree with this

He Gets Us
Old 06-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #23
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Trent is still a damn good player. You simply can not deny that.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #24
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Trent looked at Flowers as backup and saw $$$$$

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #25
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

I wouldn't give him anything extravagant. I don't think we should tie ourselves to 4 guaranteed years. He hasn't played a full season since 2013. Even though he's still playing elite football, he's either at peak point or slightly past it. He's still hitting us up for 14mil on the cap the next two years.

We need to lock up Scherff before we extend Williams.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 06-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #26
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
You aren't going to get back to you what he's worth to your team currently. Nobody is giving up much for an oft injured LT, who's 30 years of age. You'd be lucky as hell to get a 3rd rounder for him at this point.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 06-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #27
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Trent is still a damn good player. You simply can not deny that.
Well, you can actually. You'd be wrong, but you can deny it.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #28
GridIron26
Playmaker

Did Trent decide to do this at a bad timing? Yes, we are already close to our cap limit (largely thanks to QB situation). However we must acknowledge this is not players' issue, that is entirely on FO alone. FO, owners, and fans always say it's business whenever they decide to cut or trade players, and it is personal when players try to turn the table around. It's comical how fans always complain when they think players are being greedy and don't complain when owners are being greedy. The less money players get, the more money owners have in their pocket. If I spend money on NFL games, I would very much prefer for majority of my money go to players, not Dan Snyder and NFL.

Does Trent deserve a raise? Absolutely, he has shown that he is one of best tackles in NFL (and history) on consistent basis. There is no argument against this regardless of what few of you guys are claiming against Trent. Sure, there is injury factor but we can easily work around this by offering a raise based on incentives (For example, Trent must play 80% of season to earn $2m more). Redskins can protect themselves with this incentive contract - if Trent gets injured again and cannot play for a while, then Redskins can use the money that is allocated to Trent's incentive contract to sign a free agent tackle to replace Trent if necessary.

For those people who are saying that we should trade Trent - who will you replace Trent with? At this point, there is no available tackle that is even remotely close to Trent's level.

Imagine this, you have been working for your employer for 10 years making 50k a year. You have consistenly put in full efforts to complete your assignments with high standards, and your employer absolutely loves you and is dependent on you providing high quality work at all times. Then you see your employer (or your employer's competitors) hire people for same position you work - those people might have less experience than you do, and some people complete same assignments with subpar standards and yet they are making 70k a year. Will you continue to keep your head down and work until you retire, or will you make efforts to get a pay raise or find a different job?

The bottom line is, (1) Trent just made a decision that will benefit himself and his family and at same time, it puts Redskins in a difficult position. (2) Redskins need to extend Scherff's contract and Redskins should not sacrifice Scherff, just to make Trent happy. (3) If I'm the FO, I will try to find a way to achieve both - without knowing full details of Redskins' salary position and etc, I would try to convert Alex Smith's money into signing bonus (or whatever strategy that will help reduce Smith's money in cap) and then rewrite Trent's current contract by adding incentives that will allow Trent earn more money without extending his contract. In other words, he will get a pay raise for remaining of his contract. By end of the contract, he will be about 32 years old and we should have a better feeling of whether he can continue to play well at that time.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #29
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Old 06-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #30
MTK
\m/

Bad timing would have been holding out in training camp. It's the first veteran OT, totally appropriate time to start the process.