2016 CBS/NFLdraftscout Big Board

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #61
Bangee7
Impact Rookie

Re: 2016 CBS/NFLdraftscout Big Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
very good idea, however there are only 2 good centers (Kelly and Martin). They may be gone at pick #53
There's also Jack Allen (Mich St) that some scouts think could be starter in the NFL as a rookie.

But, let's agree that there are only 2 real considerations at C, that still doesn't mean we can't package up something to move up in round two.

We don't have to stay at #53.
Bangee7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #62
30gut
Playmaker

Can't say that I agree much at all w/ the draft philosophies posted recently.

I think entering a deep draft with the idea to move up is the wrong plan from the jump. My plan for a deep plan would be to increase NOT decrease the number of selections.

Also I'm all for targeting players but like Scott said that's for the later rounds. And the target should be players and not positions. Entering a draft with the idea to acquire position X is imho the wrong plan and leads down the slippery slope of ignoring BPA and drafting for "need"/"want".

If a center is sitting there and is the BPA then I'm all for it; but if not I hope we don't force or chase it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #63
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

^ Pure BPA is bullshit. I know you can't be convinced of that and I'm not interested in getting into some tangled debate with you about why it can't work. Nevertheless, even a cursory look at how teams draft should be enough to show you that pure BPA isn't practiced by anyone.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #64
30gut
Playmaker

Lol, umm okay.

Anyhow I take a special solace in knowing that you think "pure BPA" is bullshit. Let's me know I'm on the right track.

Cheers!

Old 03-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #65
30gut
Playmaker

http://m.redskins.com/s/30856/376?it...10613120109512

Old 03-20-2016, 11:48 PM   #66
That Guy
Living Legend

again, your version of bpa indirectly accounts for team needs, so it's not actually pure BPA. you can dance around with semantics all you like, but i'd rather not waste another 2 pages on it.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:18 AM   #67
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

We're not picking a center at #21. Nothing I've read suggests there is any center good enough to be picked that high.

I like Billings from Baylor, and there are a few corners I think we could take at #21. There is literally no way to guess who we'll actually end up with. Depends a lot on who the first 20 picks are + the teams own player rankings. So the draft should be interesting.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #68
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
again, your version of bpa indirectly accounts for team needs, so it's not actually pure BPA. you can dance around with semantics all you like, but i'd rather not waste another 2 pages on it.
You guys are funny. You make drive by jabs at a topic, then profess not to want a discussion. Its a convenient place to stand.

But, lets be accurate so we don't have to "waste" to pages, lol. KI lack of understanding and misrepresenting my view isn't my problem. I have never claimed "pure BPA" and wasn't espousing that view in this thread. I am still tickled that someone advocating reaching for a Center then trading up in a deep draft as a sound strategy then thinks they have a leg to stand on taking pop shots at any other draft strategy let alone any form of BPA.

Anyhow, I've stated my view on the draft, and will be happy to discuss it. Afterall that's kinda what the purpose of these drafts thread is about. "Wasting" time talking about the draft with other people so inclined. And just because my draft view isn't simplistic doesn't make it in anyway semantics.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #69
30gut
Playmaker

http://m.redskins.com/s/30856/376?itemUri=1963368202/211110324410141310613120109512

EXPERT: Mel Kiper Jr.; ESPN

SELECTION: Reggie Ragland; Linebacker, Alabama

DATE OF SELECTION: March 8, 2016

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Mackensie Alexander; Cornerback, Clemson (Jan. 14)

--A'Shawn Robinson; Defensive Tackle, Alabama (Feb. 18)

ANALYSIS: "Last year's draft was all about getting tougher and more physical on both sides of the ball. Ragland continues that trend, fills a need, and is ready to play. Solid value here.

EXPERT: Todd McShay; ESPN

SELECTION: Jarran Reed; Defensive Tackle, Alabama

DATE OF SELECTION: March 3, 2016

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Michael Thomas; Wide Receiver, Ohio State (Dec. 16, 2015)

ANALYSIS: "Reed has the skill set to be the centerpiece in a 3-4 front. At 6-3 and 307 pounds, the Crimson Tide product maintains great leverage and is hard to move off the ball. While he is never going to be a consistent threat to rush the passer from the interior, Reed maintains very good gap discipline versus the run, showing the ability to beat double-teams and penetrate the backfield."

EXPERT: Daniel Jeremiah; NFL.com

DATE OF SELECTION: March 14, 2016

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Sheldon Rankins; Defensive Tackle, Louisville (Jan. 17)

--Robert Nkemdiche; Defensive Tackle, Ole Miss (Feb. 16)

--Darron Lee; Linebacker, Ohio State (March 1)

ANALYSIS: "The Redskins are in need of a run-stuffing defensive tackle. Reed fills that void."

EXPERT: Lance Zierlein; NFL.com

SELECTION: Chris Jones; Defensive Tackle, Mississippi State

DATE OF SELECTION: March 4, 2016

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Jarran Reed; Defensive Tackle, Alabama (Jan. 22)

--Mackensie Alexander; Cornerback, Clemson (Feb. 18)

ANALYSIS: "Jones has high football character and he's really talented, too."

EXPERT: Bucky Brooks; NFL.com

SELECTION: A'Shawn Robinson; Defensive Tackle, Alabama

DATE OF SELECTION: March 16, 2016

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Mackensie Alexander; Cornerback, Clemson (Jan. 17)

--A'Shawn Robinson; Defensive Tackle, Alabama (Feb. 22)

--Jarran Reed; Defensive Tackle, Alabama (March 2)

ANALYSIS: "Without Terrance Knighton, who remains a free agent, in the middle, the Redskins could look to add a rock-solid run stopper to the lineup."

EXPERT: Charles Davis; NFL.com

SELECTION: Leonard Floyd; Linebacker, Georgia

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Sheldon Rankins; Defensive Lineman, Louisville (Feb. 22)

ANALYSIS: "Can be dynamic off the edge, and Washington needs help on all three levels on defense."

EXPERT: Chad Reuter; NFL.com

SELECTION: Eli Apple; Cornerback, Ohio State

DATE OF SELECTION: March 11, 2016

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Mackensie Alexander; Cornerback, Clemson (Jan. 29)

ANALYSIS: "Bashaud Breeland is a promising player, but a corner with good size and athleticism at this point in the first round is too good for general manager Scot McCloughan to pass on."

EXPERT: Pete Prisco; CBS Sports

SELECTION: Vernon Hargreaves III; Florida, Cornerback

DATE OF SELECTION: March 13, 2016

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Chris Jones; Defensive Tackle, Mississippi State (Feb. 21)

--Vernon Butler; Defensive Tackle, Louisana Tech (March 1)

--Eli Apple; Ohio State, Cornerback (March 1)

ANALYSIS: "They have to get better outside in coverage and this is a player who excels in man coverage. He would step in and start right away."

EXPERT: Will Brinson; CBS Sports

DATE OF SELECTION: March 7, 2016

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Vernon Butler; Defensive Tackle, Louisana Tech (March 2)

--Andrew Billings; Defensive Tackle, Baylor (March 7)

ANALYSIS: "Scot McCloughan's been focused on bringing big body guys in via the draft and his move here is no different as the Redskins get more physical up front on defense."

EXPERT: Dane Brugler; CBS Sports

SELECTION: Mackensie Alexander; Cornerback, Clemson

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Jarran Reed; Defensive Tackle, Alabama

--Andrew Billings; Defensive Tackle, Baylor

ANALYSIS: "The Redskins have had good luck drafting cornerbacks out of Clemson (Bashaud Breeland) and if Alexander falls to No. 21, I don't think he'll be around at pick No. 22."

EXPERT: Rob Rang; CBS Sports

ANALYSIS: "Washington surrendered an average of 4.8 yards per carry last season (31st in the NFL) and was even worse in the wild-card loss to the Packers, allowing 5.5 yards per attempt. While serving as general manager of the San Francisco 49ers, GM Scot McCloughan plucked Patrick Willis out of the SEC (Mississippi) and saw him emerge as one of the leaders of a formidable defense. Ragland isn't in Willis' class athletically, but he's instinctive, strong and a physical, reliable tackler."

READ MORE: Reggie Ragland To The Redskins?

EXPERT: Peter Schrager; Fox Sports

SELECTION: Kendall Fuller; Cornerback, Virginia Tech

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Eli Apple; Cornerback, Ohio State (Jan. 26)

ANALYSIS: "After Ramsey and Hargreaves, there's a big gap between Nos. 2 and 3 on my cornerback list. I actually like Fuller more than both Eli Apple, Mackensie Alexander and William Jackson. Fuller comes from a long line of Fullers who have succeeded in the NFL. He's 6-foot, 190 pounds and was a stud at Virginia Tech before an injury cut his 2015 season short. Good pedigree. Strong player. A relatively local kid and a need for Washington."

EXPERT: Chris Burke; Sports Illustrated

SELECTION: Andrew Billings; Defensive Tackle, Baylor

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Josh Doctson; Wide Receiver, TCU (Jan. 10)

--Robert Nkemdiche; Defensive End, Ole Miss (Feb. 12)

--William Jackson III; Cornerback, Houston (March 9)

ANALYSIS: "As is becoming the norm with draft prospects, it's difficult to pin one specific role on Billings. Calling him a "nose tackle" brings to mind visions of a hulking, space-eating presence with limited mobility. Billings hardly fits that description. He can stand up to blockers, but his main selling points are in his penetrating quickness and his effective efforts going side to side."

EXPERT: Matt Miller; Bleacher Report

DATE OF SELECTION: March 1, 2016

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Kenny Clark; Defensive Tackle, UCLA (Jan. 4)

--A'Shawn Robinson; Defensive Tackle, Alabama (Feb. 8)

ANALYSIS: "The 2015 draft, Scot McCloughan's first in Washington, featured picks of tough-nosed football players like Brandon Scherff and Matt Jones, who would help redefine the trenches. If that's any indicator of how McCloughan wants to build a football team, then another Round 1 pick in the middle of the field is possible.

Andrew Billings is one of the meanest players in the draft class. He's super physical at the point of attack and gets enough push in both the run and pass game to be an every-down impact.

Unlike a Danny Shelton from last year, Billings has been more than a one-year wonder, showing the consistent production and disruption in the middle of the line to warrant a first-round pick."

EXPERT: Luke Easterling; Bleacher Report

DATE OF SELECTION: March 7, 2016

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Robert Nkemdiche; Defensive End, Ole Miss (Feb. 1)

ANALYSIS: "Washington took care of its biggest need by slapping the franchise tag on quarterback Kirk Cousins, which takes care of the most important position on the field or at least one more season. This should allow the team to focus on the trenches with its early draft picks, particularly by grabbing one of this year's many talented interior defenders.

A'Shawn Robinson was the massive force in the middle of Alabama's dominant defensive front, notching 7.5 tackles for loss in 2015. He's versatile enough to line up at multiple spots for Washington and will give them a disruptive anchor to build around for years to come."

EXPERT: Walter Cherepinsky; WalterFootball

SELECTION: Kendall Fuller; Cornerback, Virginia Tech

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Su'a Cravens; Linebacker, USC (Feb. 1)

--Jaylon Smith; Linebacker, Notre Dame (Feb. 15)

ANALYSIS: "The Redskins have needed help at cornerback for quite some time now. Perhaps they'll finally fix the position in the 2016 NFL Draft, beginning with this pick. Kendall Fuller is a very talented cornerback, but is being pushed down by an injury. A healthy Fuller would be a top-10 choice, so the Redskins are getting great value here."

EXPERT: Charlie Campbell; WalterFootball

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Su'a Cravens; Linebacker, USC (Feb. 1)

--Jaylon Smith; Linebacker, Notre Dame (Feb. 15)

--Kendall Fuller; Cornerback, Virginia Tech (March 3)

ANALYSIS: "The Redskins want to get bigger and more athletic on their defensive line. Reed is a safe pick to be a solid defender at the point of attack.

The 6-foot-3, 311-pound Reed was a powerful defender for Alabama at the point attack. He is a strong run defender who fills his gap and is tough to move. Reed isn't much of a pass-rusher though, but he has quickness and athleticism to improve at getting after the quarterback in the NFL.

In 2015, the senior totaled 53 tackles with 4.5 for a loss, one sack and two passes batted. As a junior in 2014, he had 55 tackles with 6.5 for a loss, one sack and five passes batted. Reed was a JUCO player before landing at Alabama."

EXPERT: ProFootballFocus Staff

DATE OF SELECTION: March 2, 2016

ANALYSIS: "Boasting a strong all-around game, Ragland was one of a number of standouts in Alabama's front-7, grading well against the run ( 13.2) and in coverage ( 9.8) while successfully blitzing and rushing off the edge at times ( 7.7). With one of the worst inside linebacker situations in the NFL, Washington will be watching all of the linebacker prospects very closely."

EXPERT: Chris Collinsworth; ProFootballFocus

SELECTION: William Jackson III; Cornerback, Houston

DATE OF SELECTION: March 17, 2016

ANALYSIS: "Running a 4.37 40-yard dash at the NFL combine is a good place to start, and his 6-0 height doesn't hurt, either. There is no question that Jackson has a lot to learn - he looks very vulnerable to double moves at the next level, and relies too much on his speed to make up for his mistakes, which is something that will get him in trouble at the next level. But while I don't think Jackson is ready to be left on an island in his first NFL year, he is gifted enough to be selected on the first day. I would love to see what cornerback whisperers like Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll or Mike Zimmer could do with him."

EXPERT: Josh Norris; Rotoworld

SELECTION: Mackensie Alexander; Cornerback, Clemson

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Robert Nkemdiche; Defensive End, Ole Miss (Feb. 11)

--Vernon Butler; Defensive Tackle, Louisana Tech (March 3)

ANALYSIS: "I can see why a lot of people like Alexander. In fact, many love his game. Hate it or love it, corner is now a position of size and stature. It can be difficult to find sub 5'10" corner who successfully plays the ball in contested situations. Jason Verrett was one, and Alexander needs to follow that path. I am unaware if the Redskins use size thresholds for the position, and if so it would likely eliminate Alexander."

EXPERT: Dan Kadar; SB Nation

PREVIOUS SELECTION(S):

--Kenny Clark; Defensive Tackle, UCLA (Jan. 25)

--Jarran Reed; Defensive Tackle, Alabama (Feb. 8)

--Sheldon Rankins; Defensive Tackle, Louisville (Feb. 15)

--Robert Nkemdiche; Defensive End, Ole Miss (Feb. 29)

--Reggie Ragland; Linebacker, Alabama (March 7)

ANALYSIS: "If the three best cornerbacks are off the board, Washington could target a defensive lineman or wide receiver in the first round. It would be hard to pass up on Laquon Treadwell of Ole Miss, but Billings is a stellar nose tackle."

EXPERT: Robert Mays; MMQB

SELECTION: Ryan Kelly; Center, Alabama

DATE OF SELECTION: March 1, 2016

ANALYSIS: "Washington has plenty of questions along the defensive line, but Jay Gruden's offense also finished dead last in rushing DVOA last season. Kelly is both nasty and a technician, and along with Derrick Henry was at the center (ha!) of a devastating Alabama running game."
Old 03-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #70
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Whether or not I think we should "reach" for a center has nothing to do with whether or not pure BPA exists. You truly need to take a logic course.

BTW, how is it that some people on this board misunderstand and misrepresent you? You misrepresent yourself by taking positions that are more slippery than an eel and that's why we can't understand you.

Yes or no, if a QB is the best player on Scot M.'s board at #21 will he take that QB?

The answer is no. The player taken at #21 will play a position of need and you can book it. That is simply real world common sense. Many draft experts think that Scott didn't even draft the BPA last year at #5. He needed a top-notch OL so he drafted one instead of drafting the best player on the board.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #71
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Whether or not I think we should "reach" for a center has nothing to do with whether or not pure BPA exists. You truly need to take a logic course.
Lol, never said it did. (talk about semantics^^) But your view does have everything to with my view of your draft opinions.

Also, you didn't just want to reach for center, you wanted to reach for a center THEN also trade up. And yes, since you see the above as a sound strategy that view imo makes any other draft opinion you have silly to me. So even though I'm not a "pure BPA" advocate knowing that you think its bullshit lets me know that I'm on the right track.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #72
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
We're not picking a center at #21. Nothing I've read suggests there is any center good enough to be picked that high.
I've only read one draftmedia opinion that had Center. I posted a compilation from redskins.com. Most have DL/CB/ILB/Edge rusher.

Quote:
I like Billings from Baylor, and there are a few corners I think we could take at #21. There is literally no way to guess who we'll actually end up with. Depends a lot on who the first 20 picks are + the teams own player rankings. So the draft should be interesting.
I like Billings too. He would fill a whole in the middle of the DL vacated by Knighton. I haven't watched film on him though. Haven't spent much time with the DL this year, by all reports this draft is deep for DL though.

I really like Mackenzie Alexander, but lately it seems that are a number of CBs being mentioned in that range...Artie Burns, William Jackson some even have Vernon Hargraves available (which I doubt). I wonder where Fuller will end up after he runs his 40 at his proday.

I agree it way to early to single in on 1 prospect at pick 21. But who would be say top 5(ish) on your draft board for pick 21?
Old 03-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #73
Irrefutable
The Starter

all the "experts" are wrong. The Redskins will trade back and add draft choices
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #74
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Lol, never said it did. (talk about semantics^^) But your view does have everything to with my view of your draft opinions.

Also, you didn't just want to reach for center, you wanted to reach for a center THEN also trade up. And yes, since you see the above as a sound strategy that view imo makes any other draft opinion you have silly to me. So even though I'm not a "pure BPA" advocate knowing that you think its bullshit lets me know that I'm on the right track.
You are a trip!
Old 03-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #75
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I've only read one draftmedia opinion that had Center. I posted a compilation from redskins.com. Most have DL/CB/ILB/Edge rusher.

I like Billings too. He would fill a whole in the middle of the DL vacated by Knighton. I haven't watched film on him though. Haven't spent much time with the DL this year, by all reports this draft is deep for DL though.

I really like Mackenzie Alexander, but lately it seems that are a number of CBs being mentioned in that range...Artie Burns, William Jackson some even have Vernon Hargraves available (which I doubt). I wonder where Fuller will end up after he runs his 40 at his proday.

I agree it way to early to single in on 1 prospect at pick 21. But who would be say top 5(ish) on your draft board for pick 21?
Either of the Alabama Defensive Linemen, Alexander, Billings, William Jackson, Darren Lee, Leonard Floyd (not a need, but I like him). That's 7, there are a few others. Above aren't in any particular order.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote