Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Redskins Gear

Custom McFarlane

Redskins Gear

Old 06-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #31
murphy196
Special Teams

Re: Custom McFarlane

Man, that is awesome. I remember seeing this post back when you first posted it. I collect some of the McFarlane figures and actually bought a custom made Sean Taylor last year. I wish I had the ability to make these, I'm just not artistic at all.
murphy196 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #32
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

How much of this is actually built by the owner? Just painting? Purchase individual pieces and assemble?
Going out in the forest and taking down a Redwood, and break out your trusted Whittlin' knife and goin' at it...........like Mark Twain, old school?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #33
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
How much of this is actually built by the owner? Just painting? Purchase individual pieces and assemble?
Going out in the forest and taking down a Redwood, and break out your trusted Whittlin' knife and goin' at it...........like Mark Twain, old school?
One word: Plastics.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #34
coggs
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I take McFarlane figures, break them down, swap parts, some sculpting if necessary, then prime the parts, paint and decal, put back together and spray with 2 different finishes. One to seal the paint and provide UV protection against fadint, and the other to take away the shine. Except for the helmets, use a spray that will enhance the shine.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #35
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

That's effing awesome man.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #36
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggs View Post
I take McFarlane figures, break them down, swap parts, some sculpting if necessary, then prime the parts, paint and decal, put back together and spray with 2 different finishes. One to seal the paint and provide UV protection against fadint, and the other to take away the shine. Except for the helmets, use a spray that will enhance the shine.
GOT IT, thanx!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #37
mcarey032
Special Teams

Here are a couple of my Redskins customs that were autographed.

mcarey032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #38
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Thats AWESOME man.. great job
DBUCHANON101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #39
mcarey032
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBUCHANON101 View Post
Thats AWESOME man.. great job

Wished that I could take credit for it, but these were done by a guy who does all my customs, Patrick Winter. This is website

SportsCustomsOnline.com

Check out his Sean Taylor figure that he did. It is really awesome.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #40
mcarey032
Special Teams

I just got the autographs at the CSA show that they do here every year and the PSgamegear signings as well.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #41
coggs
Special Teams

Finished the set for Leonard.

Coggs Sports Customs - Giants vs Cowboys

Gave it to him last Sunday, he was in town for the opener. He signed 34 items for me so I can sell them, it was actually his idea for me to bring a ton of stuff. 10 Giants mini-helmets, 5 LSU mini-helmets, 3 16x20's, 7 mini footballs, 9 8x10 photos. He is a great guy. Here are some pics of the meeting. I am the white guy who needs a diet, had actually started weight watchers the week before I met up with him.

Coggs Sports Customs - Giants vs Cowboys
Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #42
mcarey032
Special Teams

Coggs saw your pics on the McFarlane board. Really awesome stuff! It is really cool that such a legend was so down to earth and willing to do that for you. Really awesome. I had tried to set something up for Patrick at the CSA show last year and unfortunately it didn't work out. As was stated before a lot of players aren't appreciative of what you do and they think that you should be doing this kind of work for free.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #43
coggs
Special Teams

Yeah, when he and I first exchanged emails I had said I would normally charge about $350-400 for this, but if we wanted to work out some kind of trade that would be cool, too. When I finished it, I emailed him pics and he gave me his number for me to call him. Told me he'd be in NY the weekend of the opener, said if I wanted I could bring as much stuff as I want, he'd sign it all and I could sell it. As I was talking to him, I mentioned I was going to New Orleans for the Giants game and he said he was going to be there that weekend too and I better call him to meet up.

The CSA show I think would be a little tougher only because it is so much more crowded. The day before I brought this to Marshall, LT did a signing as part of a huge Giants show. Didnt want to bring it then as I didnt want to be walking around with it. If I can ever find LT doing a signing on his own or a smaller setting, I'll bring it then. Would also even drive down to the DC area to have Jacoby see it and sign it.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #44
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarey032 View Post
Have you seen these websites for customs?

SportsCustomsOnline.com

Stupidsuck.com

RLcustoms

Customsbyjomo.com
Great job!

Actually I just dropped over $400 last week on a bunch of mcfarlanes (30+). But I'm looking for more Skins figures. There's some great ones on that SportsCustomsOnline site. Does he sell to the end user? What do they cost?
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #45
coggs
Special Teams

Those are all custom made. Cost for those varies depending on what you want done. A straight-repaint of a figure that requires minimal adjustments (sculpting, swap parts, cutting, etc) say taking a Peyton Manning and turning it into Jason Campbell can be anywhere from $40-$75 depending on the customizer. General rule, is you get what you pay for. I saw a guy post a Super Bowl XXV Otis Anderson. His number font was a little off, his name plate font was completely wrong, and I thought his sleeve stripes were a little too thick. When I mentioned it, the kid got all defensive and said, "Well, I only charged him $45 so for that money I think it is good." Me, I charge $65 for a repaint unless the person requests a specific figure as a base. Some are hard to find and more expensive, for example the Warren Sapp figure. It was from the original series about 8 years ago. They made a second of him in his Raiders uniform, but that was a short print. On Ebay, I have seen them run as high as $35 or more when you add shipping. I had a guy email me asking for Jacobs running over Landry last season. Took some figures, positioned them and figured out how it could be done. Since it had parts from different figures, and a decent amount of sculpting involved, I told him $200. He then said he did some research and thought that was too high, so I passed on the project. Another guy once emailed me for a straight re-paint of Joe Morris. Told him $65, he replied saying some other guy offered it to him for $50 and he thought his stuff was just as good as mine. I then responded saying he should go with the other guy.

What can also influence the customizer's price is his financial situation. Some of the people on spawn, jomo, and selling on ebay are hs or college kids. For them, it might be worth it to pay 10-15 for a figure and make the custom for $30 or even $40. That $15-25 profit might be worth all the time they put into it because that can buy them beer for a weekend. Me? I am a teacher, work after school center everyday, ref football, umpire baseball, teach saturday school, usually do summer school or a camp. So, for me to give up my free time to make a figure for someone, I am going to want a little more.