Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Redskins Gear

custom helmet

Redskins Gear

Old 05-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
airsoftking
Special Teams

custom helmet

Hey, I recently bought a football helmet in used, but still very good condition. It is black with a red facemask. I thought it would be interesting to give this helmet a new look and make it a Redskins helmet. The gold facemask is not a problem, however I need spray paint and decals. I'm hesitating between making a current Redskins helmet or a throwback (75th anniversary). I can't seem to find the 75th anniversary (R logo) decals anywhere, but the gold paint would be much better to make a perfect copy. Indeed, I'm having a hard time finding the right burgundy paint. I'm afraid it won't look like the real helmet. I'd like to know if anyone could help me find decals and proper spray paint or give me some advice.

Thanks.

Advertisements
Old 05-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Soup's Uncle
Special Teams

Re: custom helmet

Let's see the pics brutha.

Incorrect Wade...the Burgundy and Gold just ran all over you.
Soup's Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
airsoftking
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup's Uncle View Post
Let's see the pics brutha.
I haven't started anything yet. If it ends up looking great, I'll definitely share some pics. I'd like some advice on the paint colors and the decals first.

Last edited by airsoftking; 05-21-2009 at 04:14 PM.
airsoftking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Riggo44
The Starter

Go to home depot the can match any color. As for the decals I see them all the time on E-Bay.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

The problem you will run into with the burgundy paint is that the current helmets have metallic paint. I doubt you will be able to match that unless you went to someone that did car paint jobs (maybe). I think you will have trouble coming up with anything that looks really good without spending a decent amount of money. Good luck though. If you really want a Skins helmet I would recommend just saving a "Proline Redskins" search in eBay and being patient. You will have to wait for someone to put one up in a no reserve auction, but you can probably get one for less than $130 if you wait long enough. I got a Pro Line helmet with the newer metallic paint last summer for $120. I have since had it signed by Santana Moss.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
dmek25
MVP

thats a sweet looking helmet
Old 05-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
airsoftking
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
The problem you will run into with the burgundy paint is that the current helmets have metallic paint. I doubt you will be able to match that unless you went to someone that did car paint jobs (maybe). I think you will have trouble coming up with anything that looks really good without spending a decent amount of money. Good luck though. If you really want a Skins helmet I would recommend just saving a "Proline Redskins" search in eBay and being patient. You will have to wait for someone to put one up in a no reserve auction, but you can probably get one for less than $130 if you wait long enough. I got a Pro Line helmet with the newer metallic paint last summer for $120. I have since had it signed by Santana Moss.
nice helmet you have here. I knew about the metallic paint since I have a F/S replica and that's mainly why I want to paint it gold. The thing is, I can't find the decals anywhere. Here's a pic of an old helmet who was refurbished into this:

Last edited by airsoftking; 05-21-2009 at 04:37 PM.
airsoftking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsoftking View Post
nice helmet you have here. I knew about the metallic paint since I have a F/S replica and that's mainly why I want to paint it gold. The thing is, I can't find the decals anywhere. Here's a pic of a guy who refurbished an old helmet into this:

Nice. I know I have seen the decals on eBay from time to time. There is one seller on eBay that sells a lot of refurbed helmets. Maybe you could message him and see if he has or could get the decals and would be willing to sell them to you ("bernstein2" is the seller name). You could also try messaging some other sellers who sell decals and see if they have them or would be willing to get them for you. I did that with one seller to get some rear helmet numbers to customize my Jason Campbell 75th helmet and he was actually willing to make them for me (little different situation in getting the side logos, but maybe you can ask around). I have bought decals from "mwp33" in the past and he is a good seller with nice products. I don't know if he would have or be able to get the side logos or not.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:06 AM   #9
airsoftking
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
Nice. I know I have seen the decals on eBay from time to time. There is one seller on eBay that sells a lot of refurbed helmets. Maybe you could message him and see if he has or could get the decals and would be willing to sell them to you ("bernstein2" is the seller name). You could also try messaging some other sellers who sell decals and see if they have them or would be willing to get them for you. I did that with one seller to get some rear helmet numbers to customize my Jason Campbell 75th helmet and he was actually willing to make them for me (little different situation in getting the side logos, but maybe you can ask around). I have bought decals from "mwp33" in the past and he is a good seller with nice products. I don't know if he would have or be able to get the side logos or not.
Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
airsoftking
Special Teams

so I found a seller on eBay who will receive the decals soon. I then searched for spray paint and I found this color:
What do you think?
Old 06-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
coggs
Special Teams

I have a tutorial somewhere in my email that someone sent me. I want to make a Cornell mini-helmet, but haven't gotten around to it.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownWithSnyder View Post
Would you actually buy the shirt design in my homepage link?
Good riddance man. Banned
Old 06-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #13
firstdown
Living Legend

It was either HD or Lowes that offered team paints for doing a room but I don't think they will have the kind of paint your looking for.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
It was either HD or Lowes that offered team paints for doing a room but I don't think they will have the kind of paint your looking for.
Home Depot, but it wouldn't work well for a helmet.