Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Depth Chart

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
skinster
Impact Rookie

Depth Chart

Redskins.com | Depth Chart

Sorry if this was already in another post, there are like 9 million posts to go through, and I also think its worth its own thread. What do you guys find interesting about the depth chart?

Landry obviously is our starter, but why is he not listed on it? is he hurt? And where is torain? I know he's hurt but he's not even mentioned. Maybe the writting on the wall that his injury bug has got to the coaches too much.

I think its odd that rex is listed ahead of beck a couple of days after kyle said he wanted beck with the 10th overall pick. Not surprising that rex beat him out from a talent perspective, just surprising because of what everything the coaches have been telling us.

I like our wr depth order, but don't like how low our rookies are. We traded back a million times to draft these guys, and it looks like there is a good possibility neither will make the team considering they are 7 and 8 on the depth chart. (*edit added in- they are 8 and 9 if you include that Banks will make the team*) It makes me feel like our draft strategy of trading back was harmful to our roster when the guys we traded back for look like they won't make the team.

I think its interesting the keiland williams is a FB, I don't know what is up with that, but feel that he will be our 4th rb and torain is shown the door.

I didn't know we signed sean locklear. Good pickup for depth. But it interesting that he is at tackle. Any possibility we are going to sign heyer again?

Sellers being the 4th TE makes me think he's gone.

I love our dline depth.

CB depth I'm satisfied with, but I have the same sentiment about our S depth as I do with our WR depth. Gomes is listed as either the 6th or 7th S and looks like a wasted draft pick that we didn't need to trade back for.

I love that we got Keyaron Fox (didn't know that). I heard that Jackson is having 1st team reps in stead of kerrigan. Our lack of OLB depth scares me. Anyone know Kerrigans injury situation? When he is due to come back and if it will be an lingering injury? Or if Chris Wilson will be brought back?

Last edited by skinster; 08-09-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: wr depth number change
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Depth Chart

Good idea to start a new thread.

Judging by the first post though it's like you haven't read any posts.

We've talked multiple times about adding Locklear and Fox and KW moving to fullback, and that Heyer has signed with the Raiders. And that Chris Wilson left for the Eagles

http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...tion-list.html

Plus, with Landry, Torain, and Beck all battling injuries it makes sense they'd be at the bottom of the preseaseon game 1 depth chart
Old 08-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Don't be alarmed by rookies on any team being low on depth charts. They all will be at a huge disadvantage for at least half of the season as they learn their first pro schemes and get caught up to the vets in study and conditioning. The lockout may even make some rookies completely behind for their whole first season.

I'm glad we have enough depth so that we're not forced to throw these rookies onto the field before they're ready. Some higher picks like Kerrigan will be expected to play right away, but later picks like Hankerson may need a little time to get up to speed.

I like Keiland Williams better as a FB than HB...and with the crowed HB situation, he's still on the field to make a difference at FB. He should be more effective than Sellers, who has really fallen the past few seasons...dropping passes, not playing with 100% every play. He's done.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Don't be alarmed by rookies on any team being low on depth charts. They all will be at a huge disadvantage for at least half of the season as they learn their first pro schemes and get caught up to the vets in study and conditioning. The lockout may even make some rookies completely behind for their whole first season.

I'm glad we have enough depth so that we're not forced to throw these rookies onto the field before they're ready. Some higher picks like Kerrigan will be expected to play right away, but later picks like Hankerson may need a little time to get up to speed.

I like Keiland Williams better as a FB than HB...and with the crowed HB situation, he's still on the field to make a difference at FB. He should be more effective than Sellers, who has really fallen the past few seasons...dropping passes, not playing with 100% every play. He's done.
About keiland williams, I'm not sure I trust him as a true FB. His weight at 225 just seems low. Having him as a FB to be able to run passing patterns and to possibly pass block so that our rbs can run routes. I don't believe he is currently able to be a true FB though where he will clear the path for the RB on a run. I'm interested to see if he will make the roster and if he does, how he will be used.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Monkeydad
Living Legend

That's why we have Darrel Young. He'll be a great "true" FB for us.

He better perform well, he's wearing Sean Taylor's number.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

I wouldn't read too far into the initial depth chart.

Jeez I feel like we stepped into a time machine with this thread.

LL is still rehabbing his achilles. Heyer signed with the Raiders. Yes KW is a FB. Kerrigan is practicing. Wilson signed with the Eagles. Nobody has beat out anyone at QB, Rex is probably listed as #1 due to Beck's injury, and Shanahan never named Beck the starter to begin with. Or Rex for the matter.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:

I agree with you. I just don't see us carrying 4 RBs and 2 FBs . Its a numbers game that I'm interested to see where we take it. I think williams will make the team and torain will be the odd man out.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
Redskins.com | Depth Chart

Sorry if this was already in another post, there are like 9 million posts to go through, and I also think its worth its own thread. What do you guys find interesting about the depth chart?

Landry obviously is our starter, but why is he not listed on it? is he hurt? And where is torain? I know he's hurt but he's not even mentioned. Maybe the writting on the wall that his injury bug has got to the coaches too much.

I think its odd that rex is listed ahead of beck a couple of days after kyle said he wanted beck with the 10th overall pick. Not surprising that rex beat him out from a talent perspective, just surprising because of what everything the coaches have been telling us.

I like our wr depth order, but don't like how low our rookies are. We traded back a million times to draft these guys, and it looks like there is a good possibility neither will make the team considering they are 7 and 8 on the depth chart. (*edit added in- they are 8 and 9 if you include that Banks will make the team*) It makes me feel like our draft strategy of trading back was harmful to our roster when the guys we traded back for look like they won't make the team.

I think its interesting the keiland williams is a FB, I don't know what is up with that, but feel that he will be our 4th rb and torain is shown the door.

I didn't know we signed sean locklear. Good pickup for depth. But it interesting that he is at tackle. Any possibility we are going to sign heyer again?

Sellers being the 4th TE makes me think he's gone.

I love our dline depth.

CB depth I'm satisfied with, but I have the same sentiment about our S depth as I do with our WR depth. Gomes is listed as either the 6th or 7th S and looks like a wasted draft pick that we didn't need to trade back for.

I love that we got Keyaron Fox (didn't know that). I heard that Jackson is having 1st team reps in stead of kerrigan. Our lack of OLB depth scares me. Anyone know Kerrigans injury situation? When he is due to come back and if it will be an lingering injury? Or if Chris Wilson will be brought back?
Not to be a jerk, but are you really a Redskins fan? This stuff has been all over the Washington Post, Redskins.com, local news, and this website non-stop for days.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:

?? Redskins.com has him listed as wearing #36....
Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Remember Taylor wore 36 for a while
Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
I agree with you. I just don't see us carrying 4 RBs and 2 FBs . Its a numbers game that I'm interested to see where we take it. I think williams will make the team and torain will be the odd man out.
Torain isn't getting cut.

I see it like this:

RB
Torain
Helu
Hightower

FB
Young
Williams

Royster hits the practice squad.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Remember Taylor wore 36 for a while
Oh right. Fair enough. But it was just for his rookie season. He'll always be 21 in my mind.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Remember back to last year: Shanahan doesn't really lie on his initial depth chart. It's fluid, sure, but he's generally sticking to what he has here, no matter how much or little sense this makes.

They'll keep 8 OL, so you're pretty much just looking at 3/5 on that second team. Any 3 out of the five could make it. Locklear and Hicks are the best bets, but it wouldn't be shocking if they get cut. If it comes down to it, I like Maurice Hurt to make it over Erik Cook. They don't need to keep a backup center because both Lichtensteiger and Chester can learn the calls and play inside.

Torain not being listed is...interesting. I know he's injured right now, but even Kelly is on the depth chart.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
GTripp0012
Living Legend

There's a lot of receiver depth on this team. Think about it this way: if Mike Shanahan were to acquire Eddie Royal from the Broncos tomorrow, he'd be fighting with Leonard Hankerson as the fourth receiver. And he'd probably get cut if he wasn't the primary return man.

The "winners" of this depth chart are Anthony Armstrong and Jabar Gaffney. Both would appear to be roster locks at this point, not a small deal given how crowded the WR position is.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Torain isn't getting cut.

I see it like this:

RB
Torain
Helu
Hightower

FB
Young
Williams

Royster hits the practice squad.
I would not be surprised one bit if this happened. I predicted that torain will get cut because it seems like Shanny values depth at the RB position. He wants to rotate guys, and I predict that Torain will be injured half the season, and Shanny doesn't want to have a guy taking up a roster spot that is only slightly more effective than a guy that will play twice as many games.