Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Are we a top 10 team?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #31
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Re: Are we a top 10 team?

Yeah, probably.

I also think 9 wins gets us in the wild card. That means we need to go 4-3 down the stretch. Some very winnable games coming up as well.

Advertisements
Old 11-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #32
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Very true, but also very detrimental to the health of our discussion board.
So just amuse us and answer the question.
I know, I know -- I just find the rankings so arbitrary and on one of them (ESPN, I think), we bounce up and down 10+ slots every week . . . like everyone else that isn't at the top (Patriots, Seattle) or at the very bottom (Cleveland, Jax).

But to answer your question: I think we can absolutely be a top 10 team ... if we can be more consistent defensively (our offense is definitely top 10). Our D had great second halves (Baltimore, Minn.), but we've also had second half swoons (Steelers, Lions). I cannot figure it out; the D hasn't really had a solid 60 minutes of football yet, and until they do, we can be beat by virtually any team outside of Cleveland, Jax, and perhaps SF.

So in recognition that I didn't really answer the question, I will say this: I think we are a top 10 team because I think our D is making strides and will play better going forward. I think Whitner has quietly been a good addition, Blackmon is playing better than I would have expected in a new position too. Our LBs seem to be picking up their play (talking to you, Preston Smith and Ryan Kerrigan the week before), and Lanier on the DL has give us a little spark there too. Breeland has been a disappointment, and while Norman has been very good, not hanging on to several picks has left me wanting much more from him.

One other reason I will put the team in the top 10 -- character. I think they have shown some mettle this season (lots of close games), and they seem to genuinely like each other and want to fight for each other (and the coaches) -- even our flashy offseason acquisition, Norman, stays late after practice and keeps working (really like his attitude and work ethic, and the enthusiasm for the game). And NO DRAMA THIS YEAR. It's like another team entirely. I cannot get over how different it feels. Friends of mine who follow other teams keep saying things like, "Your Redskins seem like a real franchise this year" and "Everything seems quiet and businesslike in DC this season." It definitely has the feel of slowly waking from a two decade slumber. Let's hope Scot can continue to work his magic and really build something durable.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #33
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I admit I am gun shy about making any bold statements/predictions about this Skins b/c for 20 or so years I have had my hopes raised only to have them dashed, broken and otherwise ruined leaving me a crushed and despondent fan. Seriously, I am still recovering from the debacle that was the 2013 season.

With that said, and echoing calia's post and the general sentiment throughout the thread. This time around it just feels a little different. No drama, just work. Yeah, they haven't put it all together but they seem to know that and also seem to get closer to doing so each week.

So ... sure, we are a Top 10 team and I think we stay one for the rest of the season and into the play-offs.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #34
Defensewins
Playmaker

I am not sure saying we are in the top 10 is a big deal anymore.
There are so many bad or mediocre teams in the NFL today. I look at the power ratings and even at the top there is nobody that is a powerhouse. Every team has weakness'. Dallas has a less than defense. Seattle is inconstant offense. New England is more of a finesse offense. Not to mention the rest of the ranking list is kind of weak.
Seattle used to approach power house team status IMO, but that Super Bowl team lost good players due to salary cap limitations. Denver's Super Bowl team also lost two or three players as well.
I miss the old days where you had 5 or 6 amazing teams that had very little or no weakness.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #35
J. Falcon
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
I am not sure saying we are in the top 10 is a big deal anymore.
There are so many bad or mediocre teams in the NFL today. I look at the power ratings and even at the top there is nobody that is a powerhouse. Every team has weakness'. Dallas has a less than defense. Seattle is inconstant offense. New England is more of a finesse offense. Not to mention the rest of the ranking list is kind of weak.
Seattle used to approach power house team status IMO, but that Super Bowl team lost good players due to salary cap limitations. Denver's Super Bowl team also lost two or three players as well.
I miss the old days where you had 5 or 6 amazing teams that had very little or no weakness.

I miss those days, too. I miss the days of franchises, when you new who was good and who sucked. Yeah, nowadays more teams have a shot and it's all about who gets hot in the playoffs, but I still miss it.
J. Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #36
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Falcon View Post
I miss those days, too. I miss the days of franchises, when you new who was good and who sucked. Yeah, nowadays more teams have a shot and it's all about who gets hot in the playoffs, but I still miss it.
More teams have a shot because most teams suck or are average.
There are no super teams.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #37
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I don't think we are a top ten team. I think our red zone offense, as bad as it has been is why we cannot be top ten. If we could fix the problems in the red zone, i think we crack the top ten.

But the defense has stepped up and it seems like now we have a fair running game with Robert Kelly. Cousins seems to have the INT's under control if not at least manageable, so i think the next few games are winnable. Winning 4 out of 7 will be a fair challenge, but we might get hot at the right time and the other teams might slump. We could get surprised and find out that 8-7-1 gets us the wildcard spot...
Old 11-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #38
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Are we a top 10 team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
I know, I know -- I just find the rankings so arbitrary and on one of them (ESPN, I think), we bounce up and down 10+ slots every week . . . like everyone else that isn't at the top (Patriots, Seattle) or at the very bottom (Cleveland, Jax).

But to answer your question: I think we can absolutely be a top 10 team ... if we can be more consistent defensively (our offense is definitely top 10). Our D had great second halves (Baltimore, Minn.), but we've also had second half swoons (Steelers, Lions). I cannot figure it out; the D hasn't really had a solid 60 minutes of football yet, and until they do, we can be beat by virtually any team outside of Cleveland, Jax, and perhaps SF.

So in recognition that I didn't really answer the question, I will say this: I think we are a top 10 team because I think our D is making strides and will play better going forward. I think Whitner has quietly been a good addition, Blackmon is playing better than I would have expected in a new position too. Our LBs seem to be picking up their play (talking to you, Preston Smith and Ryan Kerrigan the week before), and Lanier on the DL has give us a little spark there too. Breeland has been a disappointment, and while Norman has been very good, not hanging on to several picks has left me wanting much more from him.

One other reason I will put the team in the top 10 -- character. I think they have shown some mettle this season (lots of close games), and they seem to genuinely like each other and want to fight for each other (and the coaches) -- even our flashy offseason acquisition, Norman, stays late after practice and keeps working (really like his attitude and work ethic, and the enthusiasm for the game). And NO DRAMA THIS YEAR. It's like another team entirely. I cannot get over how different it feels. Friends of mine who follow other teams keep saying things like, "Your Redskins seem like a real franchise this year" and "Everything seems quiet and businesslike in DC this season." It definitely has the feel of slowly waking from a two decade slumber. Let's hope Scot can continue to work his magic and really build something durable.

Sweet. Good shit. I tend to agree about second half swoons. We are a top ten team with the propensity to suddenly look like dumpster fires. However we have been very consistent of late, and really pretty consistent dating back to "you like that "! Overall.
Also eff espn rankings. I think this post is about "do YOU think we are a top ten team"?
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #39
MTK
\m/

Are we a top 10 team?

If the season ended today we would be a wild card, so yes we are absolutely top 10 right now, it's not even debatable really when you look at it from that view.

For anyone who disagrees please list at least ten teams that are better.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #40
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If the season ended today we would be a wild card, so yes we are absolutely top 10 right now, it's not even debatable really when you look at it from that view.

[whispers] psst, Matty, 12 teams make the playoffs, not 10.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #41
Schneed10
A Dude

That said, I still agree we're top 10. I got:

1) Seattle
2) New England
3) Dallas
4) Denver
5) Oakland
6) KC
7) Redskins
8) Steelers
9) Lions
10) Falcons
11) Giants
12) Cardinals
13) Eagles
Old 11-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #42
Bishop Hammer
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
My reaction is -- who cares about rankings? Just win. Beat the Packers. Focus on nothing else. Beat a team that seems on the ropes at home like you can and should. Take care of business immediately in front of you. Repeat through early February.
I agree with this. Save the rankings and stats adulation for after the season. Right now let's worry about winning and staying in the playoff hunt.
he's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Stone Roses
"I wanna be adored"
Bishop Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #43
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
[whispers] psst, Matty, 12 teams make the playoffs, not 10.

Yeah I know, I still can't list 10 teams that are better right now.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #44
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

Quote:

I think we are between 8 and 12. These positions are really interchangeable from week to week.

How much did the Keyson Jerrett injury hurt the team? The first two weeks our defense was histrionically bad. If he wasn't hurt, would we have drafted a CB in the 3rd round? Would he have moved back to safety when we drafted Fueller?
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #45
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Yeah I know, I still can't list 10 teams that are better right now.
Truth. I think we're 7th. Truly.