Haskins released

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #166
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: Haskins released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I can't do it. That would mean $52+ million tied up in the QB position for 2021 (unless you cut Alex or he retires), not to mention the draft capital and/or players it would take to trade for him.

Can't do it.
Even if Smith retires we're tying up too much cap space with his number, Haskins and Stafford, when only 1 would be on the roster. Plus we're talking trade capitol on top. I'd go FA.

Fitz might work for year but I'm coming around to the idea of hoping Smith retires then we go with Tyrod Taylor for a year (or 2) as we're unlikely to get a starter picking bottom half round 1 and I don't agree with trading the farm for the #2 or #3 pick. If a top QB doesn't fall in our lap wherever we pick, I say ride a good FA for a year with this D and see if he's our man next year. I think our starter next year is not currently on the roster.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #167
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Alex Smith will prob retire
Old 12-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #168
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Alex Smith will prob retire
I hope so. I fear we might have to Polamalu him.

ICYMI, Polamalu says in his new book that the Steelers approached him and told him to retire or he would be cut. Honestly, I can't say I disagree with the method.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #169
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Smith can barely keep his calf healthy on the same leg he almost lost.. He's had a great comeback story and if he leads this team to the playoffs, that is a great ride into the sunset.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:37 PM   #170
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
My 2 thoughts for why Fitzpatrick would not be a good fit is that he isnt a quick read/throw guy and he takes chances. With our D, we dont need to press press press on offense as its not a race to the first one to 30 points wins. We can win comfortably and consistently 24-13 vs 37-27. We value possessions, play strong D and we win.

Then I looked up his stats. Fitzpatrick is second in the league in time from snap to throw at 2.2 seconds, behind Big Bens 2.1.
https://www.pro-football-reference.c...g_advanced.htm

I was a "no to fitz" person 5 mins ago and am now putting his name in the hat with the 15 other options we have.

Interesting plan C if we dont draft a 1st rounder or get a Stafford type guy.
Look at the accuracy %, bad throw % and then the air yards stats between Alex Smith and Fitzpatrick.

That should bring context as what’s being being asked of the QB. The air yards attempt/completions.

It’s really not a comparison, Fitzpatrick blows Alex Smith out the water

Honestly, both working with similar talent too with the pass catchers

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:37 PM   #171
njant
Special Teams

There is no way up offering Payne and a 1st rd to move up don,t touch are d-line at all ,very young and very good with not a lot of money spent there yet ,I’m on board with Stanford or Ryan but at what cost to get them and salary cap issues, I’m interested to see how the kid Jones from banana will do at combine along with Kyle trask and kid from Wenzhou school.
njant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:53 PM   #172
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njant View Post
There is no way up offering Payne and a 1st rd to move up don,t touch are d-line at all ,very young and very good with not a lot of money spent there yet ,I’m on board with Stanford or Ryan but at what cost to get them and salary cap issues, I’m interested to see how the kid Jones from banana will do at combine along with Kyle trask and kid from Wenzhou school.
I'm with you on the keeping the dlinemen, unfortunately in order to get a starting QB identified by our scouts, you have to sacrifice someone from an area of strength. Allen's contract is coming up, Payne and Settle are next, they will require $$$. Trust me, I wouldn't want to do it and that's why I hate the salary cap and FA, but we need a QB. Stafford and/or Ryan would cost $$$ which could also affect keeping our linemen in the future.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:51 AM   #173
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Schrager reports Rivera wanted to cut Haskins last week, but was talked out of it by multiple people inside the org, including Doug Williams. Doug says it's "news to me" and SI's sources contradict the report. (But it's not like Doug was going to say "yeah definitely I talked him out of it last week and because of me you witnessed Sunday's fiasco!")

Anyway, I am not the only one seeing Snyder's ghost around this mess... which makes me even more glad Haskins was finally cut !
Old 12-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #174
njant
Special Teams

I give up settle or ionnadis but not both
njant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:29 AM   #175
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njant View Post
I give up settle or ionnadis but not both
That’s what I meant, one of the 3, your best bet being Payne since he was a 1st rounder and playing like one.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #176
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

From ESPN
Old 12-30-2020, 08:43 AM   #177
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I Don't think Dranold is as bad as he has looked.. That team is god awful, if you can get him for a 5th I say do it
Old 12-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #178
AnonEmouse
The Starter

If we have to lose someone with the potential to get a good pick or two then I'd look to trade Matt I. I'd rather keep him, but we've been without him most of the season and done well enough without. Those saying he offers us pass rush from the interior should remember we need solid run D in this division facing 2 if not 3 of the better RBs in the league. Or current starting 4 seem to do pretty week at generating pass rush already.

But yes, I agree that chasing a big name FA with their incumbent salary needs is likely to do us more harm than good. We've got a 3-5 year window to dominate this division with what we already have in place, let alone 2021 additions; no need to mortgage the future for 1-2 years with a vet that may actually not pan out.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #179
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I Don't think Dranold is as bad as he has looked.. That team is god awful, if you can get him for a 5th I say do it
It's going to be interesting to see what the Jets do. I see no reason to trade him really - not for what they would likely get in return. He's going to cost them almost nothing for the next three years, in terms of the QB position. I think the consensus across the league is that Darnold is not the problem there. They have a ton of cap space, and the #2 pick. With a nice draft and a few FA additions, they could likely turn that ship around pretty quickly with Darnold.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #180
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
If we have to lose someone with the potential to get a good pick or two then I'd look to trade Matt I. I'd rather keep him, but we've been without him most of the season and done well enough without. Those saying he offers us pass rush from the interior should remember we need solid run D in this division facing 2 if not 3 of the better RBs in the league. Or current starting 4 seem to do pretty week at generating pass rush already.

But yes, I agree that chasing a big name FA with their incumbent salary needs is likely to do us more harm than good. We've got a 3-5 year window to dominate this division with what we already have in place, let alone 2021 additions; no need to mortgage the future for 1-2 years with a vet that may actually not pan out.
If Heinicke plays well this week (assuming Alex doesn't play), then that's enough for me to try to bring him back next year to compete. Then I'm more inclined to pick up a free agent QB AND draft a QB. But I don't want to trade any of our D-linemen or draft picks for an aging - beat up Stafford. I don't want to take my chances with a QB coming off a bad injury (i.e. Dak or K Allen). There's only a couple FA QBs I would entertain...No thanks to Rivers, Trubisky, C McCoy, Brissett, Dalton, Newton etc.

Bottom line for me - don't trade any D-linemen, keep all the draft picks (unless there's a chance to maneuver a little to get your future QB in the draft), start to extend some contracts for guys that will be the core of this team moving forward, upgrade the QB, Oline, WR, TE, and LB positions via free agency, bring back Heinicke, draft your future QB then BPA in the draft, and win the SB.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote