Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Fitzmagic Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: The week one starting QB will be...
Fitzpatrick 25 52.08%
Allen 8 16.67%
Heinicke 15 31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2021, 08:59 AM   #166
irish
Playmaker

Re: Fitzmagic Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
For me it's because Fitz and TH are similar styles so i would prefer those two take the reps and the rest of the offense stay focused on that style. Kyle would better have followed AS in my opinion. But i am also open to taking a qb in the 3rd and let that qb compete with RF. Basically the point is whichever qb in camp not named Fitz that the coaches see a potential long term solution should have the opportunity to compete.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
WFT currently has no QBs, not named Fitz, who are long term solutions at QB.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-24-2021, 09:07 AM   #167
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Agree. Allen is RR's version of Colt McCoy and will be the #2. Unless TH does something spectacular he will likely be the odd man out.
I'm not so sure. Heinicke and Allen were both backups brought over from Carolina, I'm not sure Coach Ron favors Allen as much as we may think he does. Heinicke is the one that just got paid decent backup money too, 2 years just under $5 mil. Allen's only signed for 1 year, $850K, plus we've seen him for an extended time with this team and didn't win games.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:08 AM   #168
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Agree. Allen is RR's version of Colt McCoy and will be the #2. Unless TH does something spectacular he will likely be the odd man out.
I say Heinicke makes the team but he will likely be inactive on game days as the #3. Fitz will start and Allen will be the #2. I don't think there will be any true competition going on.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #169
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I say Heinicke makes the team but he will likely be inactive on game days as the #3. Fitz will start and Allen will be the #2. I don't think there will be any true competition going on.
And if Fitz goes, down, Heinicke jumps to starter with Allen remaining the "gameday backup?"

I could see it happening.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #170
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I was looking at Fitzpatrick's situational stats on nfl.com in terms of interceptions over the last couple of seasons. Pretty interesting. It looks like his biggest struggle is between his own 20 and the 50. I wish they had it broken up by down and or distance to know more. He also tends to throw way more when behind which is not a surprise but he doesn't do to bad when behind by less than one score.
2018 playing behind by 9-16 points 4 TDs 6 INT
2018 playing behind by 8-1 points 2 TDs 2 INT
2019 9-16 points 2 TD 1 INT
2019 8-1 points 5 TD 2 INT
2020 9-16 points 1 TD 2 INT
2020 8-1 points 2 TD 3 INT

Not great but not bad. Last two years he was better passer first half of game than second by a fair margin but 2018 was awesome in 2nd half got better as game went on. Hopefully last two years not a trend.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #171
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Yes, When I say odd man out I don't mean cut I mean not dressing on game day.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #172
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I will reverse this question, why the disdain for Heinicke. There were breakdowns of his two games that showed he had some qualities. For those that knock the multiple teams - he failed to replace the following qbs
brady,
Watson,
And Newton (when he was more in his prime)

Not many were going to beat those 3.

There is precedence in Kurt Warner and others coming back.

I get the limited play but his game against TB was exceptional especially given the limited practice.

Someone mentioned Montez and there was an article about using him in the Taysom Hill role. More splitting of snaps but that is a way to get other qbs chances to shine.

CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #173
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I'm not so sure. Heinicke and Allen were both backups brought over from Carolina, I'm not sure Coach Ron favors Allen as much as we may think he does. Heinicke is the one that just got paid decent backup money too, 2 years just under $5 mil. Allen's only signed for 1 year, $850K, plus we've seen him for an extended time with this team and didn't win games.
Heinicke was brought in from the St. Louis BattleHawks.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #174
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
I will reverse this question, why the disdain for Heinicke. There were breakdowns of his two games that showed he had some qualities. For those that knock the multiple teams - he failed to replace the following qbs
brady,
Watson,

I get the limited play but his game against TB was exceptional especially given the limited practice.

Someone mentioned Montez and there was an article about using him in the Taysom Hill role. More splitting of snaps but that is a way to get other qbs chances to shine.

I don't have disdain for TH but there's a reason he was out of the NFL and with the BattleHawks (not ever playing). The idea he is a viable NFL starting QB is ridiculous. He could very well become a solid backup but that's his ceiling.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #175
MTK
\m/

Quote:
brady,
Watson,

No disdain at all, just reality. He played well in one game and one quarter of another. Basically every time he's stepped on the field in the NFL he's been hurt. He's 27 and until last year was almost out of the league entirely.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #176
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
brady,
Watson,

My feelings for TH are I think he will get a shot at the field but I just doubt he has the ability to compete with RF. If he can that is a win for us but at his age he is still a short term option. In terms of Montez watching him warm up when TH came out of the TB game for a second he had no desire to be on the field maybe he has growth this offseason.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #177
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
No disdain at all, just reality. He played well in one game and one quarter of another. Basically every time he's stepped on the field in the NFL he's been hurt. He's 27 and until last year was almost out of the league entirely.
Very similar to Kurt Warner who was out of the league until he was 27. In his previous stint at Carolina with RR he was Newton's backup over Kyle Allen even getting the start ahead of KA when Newton was sidelined.

The injury issue I get, but it seems that is where having Fitz ready to step in makes a ton of sense. If Heinicke shows he is durable enough, and can not be a turnover machine, he has a shot. If not Fitz is there to start.

CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:47 AM   #178
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

TH is no Kurt Warner.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #179
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
TH is no Kurt Warner.
Plus Kurt Warner was a complete anomaly, there's a reason why his story is so unique. It never happens.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #180
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Very similar to Kurt Warner who was out of the league until he was 27. In his previous stint at Carolina with RR he was Newton's backup over Kyle Allen even getting the start ahead of KA when Newton was sidelined.

The injury issue I get, but it seems that is where having Fitz ready to step in makes a ton of sense. If Heinicke shows he is durable enough, and can not be a turnover machine, he has a shot. If not Fitz is there to start.

Its not even close to Warner. Warner was first team all AFL in 96 & 97 and led the Barnstormers to the Arena Bowl in those years. Warner was kicking ass in the AFL. TH couldn't start in the XFL. Again, no disdain for TH just reality.