Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Thank You Alex Smith

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

Thank You Alex Smith

I think like a lot of you guys I feel a special attachment to this year's team, more than I have with any version of the Skins probably since the Sean Taylor / Joe Gibbs days. Certainly Alex Smith's toughness, perseverance and character have everything to do with that.

I have read nothing to indicate this will be the case, but I anticipate this playoff run will be the end of Alex Smith's career. I think he is likely to retire in the offseason, having proven to himself he could overcome the seemingly insurmountable obstacle, and gotten his leg back to the point where - as he puts it - he can live his life again. I think he knows that without his mobility he's not the same player, and I think he's going to talk with his wife in the offseason and they'll together decide that he achieved his goal, and he'll feel good about calling it a career. And he should feel very good about it.

Maybe this is jumping the gun but I really like having the opportunity to appreciate a player before their last game, rather than after. Whatever happens this offseason, I'll remember Alex Smith very fondly as a member of the WFT. Looking forward to seeing him in the uniform even if it's the last time.

Advertisements
Old 01-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Thank You Alex Smith

I appreciate Alex Smith. I also hope this is not his last game in the WFT uniform.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:05 AM   #3
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Great thread and I agree with you, I am all in with this organization again for the first time in years.. I love Alex Smith, I just wish he was 31 years old. I'm happy to see him back and winning (5-1) but it's def time to go grab a QB in the off season.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #4
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Let me ask this, given his career performance (inc. 3 PB's), his winning % and what he's overcome, despite not winning the big one, does he not deserve to be in the HoF?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #5
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Let me ask this, given his career performance (inc. 3 PB's), his winning % and what he's overcome, despite not winning the big one, does he not deserve to be in the HoF?
I don't see that happening. If he somehow manages to carry this team to a SB victory, he would likely get consideration...but I don't see his body of work being Hall of Fame worthy to be honest. He's a winner, he's a great guy, he's over come a ton to be even playing the game again... but I think he's probably going to go down as a great story, but not a Hall of Famer.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

He's a Hall of Fame great guy but as a player, no.

What else can be said about his comeback, just an unreal story. If you can't root for a guy like him you're just a super shitty human.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:59 PM   #7
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
He's a Hall of Fame great guy but as a player, no.

What else can be said about his comeback, just an unreal story. If you can't root for a guy like him you're just a super shitty human.
About sums it up.

Schneed I'm getting the same vibes, looks like this is Smith's final hurrah thanks to his calf issues. But he proved he can come back from what has been a career-ender to every other player that got it, there is serious steam behind renaming the CPOTY award for him (rightfully so), and he proved to himself and his family that he can do this again. No shame in going out like this. Hope for his sake Saturday night isn't his last game though.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Cannot agree more! Alex is a true professional. Tough as nails! Great teammate! Great leader! But yes, after hearing him talk it sounded to me like the writing is on the wall as well. I would love to see him stick around the team as a mentor/coach, but not sure if that is something he wants or not. Best of luck to you Alex!! Thanks!!!
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:34 AM   #9
AnonEmouse
The Starter

There aren't that many top ex-QB's join the coaching ranks, compared to other positions (a lot of linemen!). But I suspect that is because many highly successful QB's prefer to walk away as a success than risk their legacy on being failed coaches. They prefer media roles etc. But Smith fits the model of guys that have done it before and succeeded; moderately successful starters or backups. I think he'd do a good job and I would really like to see him back with the team if he goes that route.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #10
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I hope this isn't Alex's last game, but I agree with everybody else, the writing is really on the wall. Whatever is happening with his calf seems like there is nothing they can do about it, and it's probably a thing where in "real life" he will be fine running / jogging, playing with his kids, etc., but whatever is going on football-wise it doesn't seem like it is healing, and I wonder if he will have another surgery to fix it, once he has made up his mind about retiring.

Like somebody else said, I wish we had Alex when he was 30 years old and you could build around him. I think his run here would have been even more special had he never gotten hurt in 2018.

But to me he will go down as one of my favorite ever Washington players, and I will always have incredible respect and appreciation for what he went through here. Guys, Washington is an incredibly hard place to find success. And Alex Smith did it.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #11
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

My favorite Alex Smith stat 2-0 v Dallas . I hope he stays with the organization in some area. I bet he's great in the QB room.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #12
JackLord
Special Teams

Alex Smith is a class act all the way. And what he has accomplished with his recovery and return is beyond inspirational. Whatever he decides, he will always be welcome around here.
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #13
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

With today's announcement that he is inactive, I can't help but think we might have seen the last of Alex Smith as a starting qb for the WFT. I can see a scenario where he returns to the team next year, but not as the starter (unless it's bridge starter for a young guy who needs time to develop).

If this is it thanks for everything. Hope Heinicke did his best sponge impression in the short time he got to work with Smith.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:11 PM   #14
Burgold
Special Teams

Alex Smith has nothing to prove, his courage is an inspiration to all, but I think it's time for him to let it go and maybe become a coach if not here then someplace else, because at this point he's more of a liability at QB...THANK YOU ALEX SMITH!!
Burgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:56 PM   #15
Number44
Special Teams

Amazing!
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote